The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 223 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
U
OP Offline
U
Does anyone know how many Bi-Ritual Roman Catholic priests currently serve in the Sui Juris Metropolitan Byzantine Church of America?

Ungcsertezs

U
OP Offline
U
Is the percentage over 50%?

U-C

J
Jim Offline
J
I bet it is in the eparchy of Van Nuys. smile

U-C,

You will have to define your terms better. Presently, in the Archeparchy of Pittsburgh 24 Latin diocesan and religious priests have bi-ritual faculties. 6 religious and 4 diocesan and serve as pastors or adminstrators. So that leaves 14 that can fill in during illness or vacation, but that does not indicate availability.

In the Eparchy of Parma lists 19 Latin priests, 12 religious, 7 diocesan, with bi-ritual faculties. It does not appear any serve as pastors.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Originally Posted by Jim

Actually, Jim, your "bet" is wrong. The majority of our parsihes are served by incardinated priests. Although a few of these were at one time Latin priests, they are now subjects of the Eparch of Van Nuys, and no longer "on loan" from a Latin Bishop.

U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
U-C,

You will have to define your terms better. Presently, in the Archeparchy of Pittsburgh 24 Latin diocesan and religious priests have bi-ritual faculties. 6 religious and 4 diocesan and serve as pastors or adminstrators. So that leaves 14 that can fill in during illness or vacation, but that does not indicate availability.

In the Eparchy of Parma lists 19 Latin priests, 12 religious, 7 diocesan, with bi-ritual faculties. It does not appear any serve as pastors.

Fr. Deacon Lance

They number 24 out how many total active priests in the Archeparchy?

Ungcsertezs

R
R
Originally Posted by Deacon John Montalvo
Originally Posted by Jim

Actually, Jim, your "bet" is wrong. The majority of our parsihes are served by incardinated priests. Although a few of these were at one time Latin priests, they are now subjects of the Eparch of Van Nuys, and no longer "on loan" from a Latin Bishop.

Aren't both Bishop Skura of Van Nuys and Bishop Kurdick or Parma bi-ritual or having originally been Roman Rite priests before becoming Byzantine?

J
Jim Offline
J
Of course, they may be incardinated, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they went to the Byzantine seminary, so they more than likely have gotten on-the-job training if they came over from the Latin church. There are at least 4 out of 14 parishes I can think of whose priests did not receive their formal education in the Byzantine seminary.

Last edited by Jim; 11/13/07 03:06 AM.
"Aren't both Bishop Skura of Van Nuys and Bishop Kurdick or Parma bi-ritual or having originally been Roman Rite priests before becoming Byzantine?"

Bishop John was originally Byzantine then became Latin in order to enter the TOR. He subsequently left the TOR and reincardinated in the Archeparchy of Pittsburgh. Bishop William was always Byzantine. You may be thinking of the fact that he was a Byzantine Franciscan but left the OFM and incardinated in the Eparchy of Van Nuys.

A
A
Bishop Skura of Van Nuys was ordained as a member of an institute of consecrated life (I am not sure which).

Bishop Kurdick or Parma was ordained a priest with Third Order Regular of St. Francis of Penance.

I do not know which ritual church they were raised in or what their canonical background was.

Just curious, where is this thread going?

(And Father Deacon posted his above response 3 minutes before I was done looking up mine. LOL.)

Last edited by A Simple Sinner; 11/13/07 03:19 AM. Reason: realized the info was posted 3 min before I wrote mine!
U
OP Offline
U
I know there are many Bi-Ritual priests that serve the Archeparchy and Metropolia. I'm trying to get a ballpark figure.

Ungcsertezs

U-C,

Again 24 have the faculties, only 10 serve the Archeparchy. The Archeparchy has 44 active priets + 6 priests of other Eparchies serving.

Having faculties and serving are two different things. Most Latin bishops, since they have their own shortages, are unwilling to let their priests get bi-ritual faculties or let those who have them use them. For instance, the greater Pittsburgh area has the greatest concentration of Byzantine Catholics, yet the Latin Diocese of Pittsburgh has only 1 bi-ritual priest and I don't know if he ever gets a chance to serve in a Byzantine parish. Most coverage for illnesses and vacations come from the Seminary staff and a couple religious with bi-ritual faculties.

Fr. Deacon Lance

U
OP Offline
U
Of the number of active priests serving the entire Metropolia, how many are now incardinated Roman Catholic priests?

Ungcsertezs

U-C,

I only know the number for the Archeparchy, which has 60 active priests serving. 44 of the Archeparchy, 6 of other Eparchies, 10 of Latin Dioceses and Religious Orders.

Fr. Deacon Lance

P
P
Corrections: (From my old proof reading days)
It's Bishop John Kudrick, and Bishop William Skurla

I also wonder where this thread is heading -- We had a bi-ritual priest here in Ft. Myers (Fr. Joe ) until his bishop moved him to another parish, too far away for a Sunday commute. I think you will find that most bi-ritual priests really have a deep love for our Byzantine Rite.

While you are searching -- how about asking how many priests from Russia or the Ukraine serve in our parishes. A few years ago at Otpust, I met a young priest from Parma Eparchy who came over to the U.S. to help.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.