The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll, Bradford Roman, Pd1989
5,991 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 347 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,392
Posts416,747
Members5,991
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
OP Offline
M
The Pope is considering a dramatic overhaul of the Vatican in order to force a return to traditional sacred music.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/20/wpope120.xml

I have a list of Latin parishes here in Northeast Ohio that are in need a a dramatic overhaul if the Pope is interested smile

Monomakh

you are too generous in calling the rubbish that has woofed forth since the sixties "music". as one who plays classical guitar, composes (and has done so since childhood) via piano and has played in school marching bands, I cannot call what I hear moaned at Mass music.no wonder no one sings at Mass! thankfully the hippie days are fading into historical oblivion as the younger generation seeks a more traditional worship and attendant music. I wish the Latins well, I truly do.
Much Love,
Jonn

B
B
The fastest way to get teenagers to laugh is drag out an old, gray-haired hippie with a guitar who's trying to be relevant with 1970s music. A paraphrase of the Catholic hippie classic, "Sing a New Song" would be:

Yahweh's dog it leaped for joy,
and jumped upon the couch.
"Get down bad dog, you're going to hell,"
Said Yahweh who's no slouch

That's about the level theologically and musically we have experienced in U.S RC music for the last 30 years. There's a concept at stake here. I think Pope Benedict is trying to re-establish the church as heaven on earth, not an extension of the world. I am with Pope Benedict on his efforts to restore sacred music. It's long overdue.

ain't no fool like an old fool, bro.
as far as the Holy Father is concerned with his wisdom: MANY YEARS!
Much Love,
Jonn

S
S
This sounds like welcome news!

Prayers for His Holiness in this most excellent endeavor!

L
L
Guiseppe Liberto really has got to go. He and Piero Marini worked hand in hand to demolish, as much as possible, proper liturgy at the Vatican. Their outlook is very similar.

One down, one to go.

I like this quote, because it's so true:
The International Church Music Review recently criticised the [Sistine Chapel]choir, saying: "The singers wanted to overshout each other, they were frequently out of tune, the sound uneven, the conducting without any artistic power, the organ and organ playing like in a second-rank country parish church."

Alexis

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
Hey, Marty Hagen is classical Roman Catholic music, at least to me!
And me and my friend agree, Here I am Lord and On Eagle's Wings have a soft spot in our hearts. I don't know if it was Marty that wrote them, but I don't discredit all music post vatican 2. Many of these post vatican 2 hymns are the only hymns many many many Catholics in the USA know.

Last edited by Orthodox Pyrohy.; 11/23/07 06:30 PM.
O
O
That's true enough - and the same in the UK too smile

I have just heard that my ex Roman Parish is not having the Choir this year for the Midnight Mass - they are doing something else ?!?!?!?!?

The congregation don't sing frown

Looks like Marty Haugen is still busy.

http://livingliturgy.com

I've always found it interesting how a Lutheran musician has had a such a powerful influence on RC liturgical music in the U.S.A.

B
B
Originally Posted by JohnS.
Looks like Marty Haugen is still busy.

http://livingliturgy.com

I've always found it interesting how a Lutheran musician has had a such a powerful influence on RC liturgical music in the U.S.A.

I don't think he is Lutheran anymore. Last I heard, he was United Church of Christ. Must have gotten there on eagle's wings or something. wink As for his influence, I blame two things. One, NPM which has endorsed and promoted his works beyond all reason. Two, timing. He happened to hit at a time when the leaders of the U.S. church wanted to be both in the world and of the world. Pair that with a self-absorbed generation that liked to have its collective ears tickled, and you have it. As a RC musician, I am doing everything I can to stamp out his music in the parish where I work.

Z
Z
WELL, I for one will be in earnest happy to expurgiate th Modern noise, er, music, form Churches, and restore us to having good music.

L
L
Marty Haugen, Haas, and their music are going the way of the dinosaurs. It is only a matter of time until the aged hippies who force their music on our (rather more tasteful) Generation X and Y have been mercifully called away from us and into the next life, be it Heaven or Hell.

They might think Heaven is Hell anyway, since I would imagine the angels chant...I would bet they won't hear much "Praise & Worship" stuff up there! And if they do, I'm not sure I want to go there! wink

Alexis

Last edited by Logos - Alexis; 11/23/07 07:58 PM.
O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
Originally Posted by Logos - Alexis
Marty Haugen, Haas, and their music are going the way of the dinosaurs. It is only a matter of time until the aged hippies who force their music on our (rather more tasteful) Generation X and Y have been mercifully called away from us and into the next life, be it Heaven or Hell.

They might think Heaven is Hell anyway, since I would imagine the angels chant...I would bet they won't hear much "Praise & Worship" stuff up there! And if they do, I'm not sure I want to go there! wink

Alexis

ahhhhhhh Alexis be charitable. Only God can judge us in the matter you describe.

Last edited by Orthodox Pyrohy.; 11/23/07 08:04 PM.
M
M
Anyone have any thoughts on John Michael Talbot's music for liturgy?
Silouan, musically challenged old monk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.