The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
Again, de gustibus non est disputandum. What you might do, though, is peruse some recipes for the Holy Supper and find an alternative to suggest (like a fasting variety of borsch, which is delicious in my inexpert opinion).

If any of your wife's Polish relatives whom you already know to be a good cook can make some flaki (not for a fast day), try it - before you ask what the ingredients are. I rather like it, but if I had known in advance what it was made from, a crowbar and a ramrod would not have gotten it into my mouth, let alone down my throat!

Fr. Serge

I am quite familiar with Flaczki, thank you very much! (And I agree, it is tasty, as long as you don't think about what it is).
Another Polish delicacy that I thought was tasty but can't touch now that I know the ingredients is Charnina! Egads!

But those desserts are great, and I love Pierogi, the deep fried shrimp with potatoes, and there is a sort of vegetable/mushroom/egg concoction that resembles a big ball of something, served cold, that is tolerable. I think if the mushroom soup had different seasonings, it might work better. But the older generation in my wife's family labor for days prior to Christmas, putting it all together -- everything is home made. Its quite an accomplishment, and it is creating wonderful Christmas memories for my children.

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
I think I'm less scared of the charnina than the flaki.

I like Polish food. Is there any way to adopt Polish aunts for the holidays?

Terry

Slava Isusu Khrystu!

Some Ukrainian foods are quite good. The stuffed cabbage which Ukrainians make is quite good. As are the stuffed grape leaves made by those of Hellenic lineage. I presume that Polish stuffed cabbage may be somewhat similar to that made by Ukrainians.

If you want to try something very good - tortiere - which is made of ground pork as a pie is made by French Canadians in Ontario and Quebec.

I do not care for fruit cake. I also do not like Glug which is a drink that Swedish people make at Christmas.

Moving away from Thanksgiving towards Christmas, I can't really have a non-favorite food, because this is a holiday of which Greeks do not have any traditional foods or meals like the Slavs.

The only traditional thing made at this time is a holiday cookie called a 'kourambie'...It is a butter cookie covered in powdered sugar. Curiously, it is often shaped in the shape of the quarter moon--(we can't seem to shrug off those 400 years of Ottoman occupation, I guess)! EEK!

Oh here is one-- I don't like baklava at any time of the year!

The sugar cookies I mentioned are quite good, however, and have been more or less copied on the Food Network and in women's magazines by many chefs.

So, we are lucky, in that each family is welcome to make whatever feast they want for Christmas day, thus creating their own traditions! In Greece, many people will make a turkey with chestnut stuffing.

Can I say what traditional drink I love--EGGNOG! YUM! (but it is soooo fattening)

Alice

B
B
I have given up on the Holy Supper foods since I detest a number of them. However, eggnog is good and, of course, it needs to be followed with brownies and some cookies. Perhaps some pie adds a bit to it, then there's cake... biggrin

After our Christmas eve service, in the community hall we always have egg nog, (although one of the older men spiked it one year and Father got angry! LOL!--I REALLY liked it that year!) and brownies, and lots of yummie cookies too!!!! You would like it very much!

Alice smile

E
E
I'm highly amused by how the topic has veered from 'least favourite holiday foods' to 'what we like to eat', not that I'm complaining.

I'm thinking of starting a new tradition this year - a Holy Supper, with 12 vegetarian courses of course, but with East Asian dishes. How's that? Far easier than me (for it is I who will cook) trying to cook Central/Eastern European dishes I've never had the opportunity to taste.

Nan Offline
Fr. Serge, apparently they don't sell cans of pumpkin at the store where you are? Pumpkin cheesecake is much better than pumpkin pie.

E
E
Pumpkin. Hmm. slices of pumpkin, stir-fried with beef, makes for a nice dish!

Also, try using chopped pumpkin with minced meat (beef or pork) as a dumpling/pierogi filling!

A
Christina
Christina
A
Sweet potatoes. Yucky!

Originally Posted by Edward Yong
I'm highly amused by how the topic has veered from 'least favourite holiday foods' to 'what we like to eat', not that I'm complaining.

I'm thinking of starting a new tradition this year - a Holy Supper, with 12 vegetarian courses of course, but with East Asian dishes. How's that? Far easier than me (for it is I who will cook) trying to cook Central/Eastern European dishes I've never had the opportunity to taste.

I think that I would like your Holy Supper, may I come?

Also, I was answering Byzantn about his like of cookies.

I have opened another thread for our favorite holiday foods. Please visit! smile

Alice

P.S. Pumpkin with meat sounds very good.

E
E
Alice,

if you get yourself over to Singapore, you're more than welcome!

Pumpkin works surprisingly well with meat, as the sweetness of fruit balances the richness.

Try also sometime:

Pork with Lychees
Duck with Sweet Plums
Chicken with Lemons

D
D
Dr.Eric You are not the only one who hates Pumpkin pie ^^

Originally Posted by Dr. Eric
I know I'm gonna get creamed for this...

Pumpkin Pie!

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
Dr.Eric You are not the only one who hates Pumpkin pie ^^

Originally Posted by Dr. Eric
I know I'm gonna get creamed for this...

Pumpkin Pie!

WHAAAATTTT? Heresy! Anathema sit!

Dad

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.