The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 355 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#265801 12/02/07 02:32 AM
OP Offline
I'm not sure if anyone has started a thread on this topic so I thought I'd bring it up. The newspaper for the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, The Catholic Standard & Times, has an article about the new movie The Golden Compass. It's a blatantly anti-Christian, specifically anti-Catolic, film geared toward children. The movie is based on the first of a series of books by Philip Pullman. There was one story, in the Standard & Times article, of a Catholic child who had been read the book in his public school and was scared to go to Mass afterward.

Have the Eastern Catholic periodicals picked up on this? It is certainly a movie that would be dangerous for children to see.

Here's wht the Catholic League has to say:
http://www.catholicleague.org/release.php?id=1342

I received an e-mail from an Orthodox today that had an Orthodox priest's commentary on this. It is actually covertly Atheistic...I will look up that e-mail and share more later.

Alice

OP Offline
Were you ever able to find the e-mail?

N
N
For some reason I wasn't able to copy or paste this, but Snopes confirms that this movie is based on anti-Christian books, and has some background info.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

Last edited by Nathan; 12/03/07 08:27 PM.
K
K
You've probably seen the previews for "The Golden Compass", but don't let the Hollywood hype and creative footage lure you into believing this is a good family film for the Christmas season. Pastor Pauley begins an in-depth five part examination of what this movie is based on and why it is an anti-Christian.

Check it out on www.ezraweb.com [ezraweb.com] under Feature Articles_The Daily Blender.

This is a must read for all Christians, especially Christian parents!

Damage control is underway. I was just watching CNN network news on cable, and they mentioned the movie, and that Christian groups think that it advocates atheism. The movie's producers say that it is simply a fantasy movie and that it does not promote atheism...

Unfortunately, there is always a 'boomerang' effect in such situations. The publicity of the debate often gives the movies more revenue than if we were to say nothing...somehow the adage that you are 'damned if you do and damned if you don't' comes to mind...

I believe that no matter what we do or say, the devil is in control in these times we are living. frown

In Christ,
Alice

Grateful
Grateful

Well said, Alice.

What boggles my mind is the sheer failure of Hollywood to meet the demand for Christian entertainment. Christianity is the largest religion on the planet --2 billion members, and growing, by conversions!-- and yet this kind of . . . stuff . . . is offered. Maybe the devil really is in control. If Hollywood simply had a love for money, they would be making quality Christian entertainment for the 2 billion Christians !

-- John

OP Offline
This has been going on for a while. I think it was in the 1940s, here in Philadelphia, that Cardinal Dougherty banned all Latin Catholics, under pain of mortal sin, from attending the movies for a month or so. Apparently, the content of movies out at that time were very scandalous. Sadly, they'd probably get a PG-13 rating to-day.

The Wednesday before this last Thanksgiving I had the misfortune of visiting relatives when they were watching some primetime TV show, I don't know which one it was. But it was around 6-7pm that the show they were watching turned and inserted a sex scene into the plot. I'm not sure what the plot was, I was trying to read, but seeing the scene so blatantly inserted into what could have been depicted through suggestion only brought me to take joy in the fact that I do not watch such shows and don't watch TV. What angered me was that Rachel's little sisters where in and about the two rooms where the show was playing and the relatives in question and the other adults did nothing to suggest that such a program should not be shown to children.

The problem with The Golden Compass is not exactly the same, but I would be as shocked to see parents allow their children to read books where God is killed and the Church is depicted as a force of evil and manipulation. Both that show and the books undermine good teaching and may affect the spiritual development of their audience.

Terry

By Martha Brockenbrough
Special to MSN Movies

"The Golden Compass" might win the award for most famous book you probably haven't read.

It has won numerous awards for literary excellence, and plenty of criticism for the way it portrays organized religion. Still, despite a recent surge in sales, the book isn't well known outside fantasy circles.

This movie ought to change all that.

Variety review: 'Golden Compass' Impressive but Uninviting

Writer/director Chris Weitz has crafted a smart, swift and exciting adaptation. It's not quite the thrill that was "The Lord of the Rings," but it makes for great entertainment -- easily one of the season's best movies, and one of the best fantasy adaptations you'll see.

Weitz's skill as a writer is part of what makes this movie excellent. He earned an Oscar nomination for his work on Nick Hornby's "About a Boy," and he does magnificently with "The Golden Compass." Fans of the book will be pleased to know the story is intact, if compressed. For the most part, the changes he makes are smart ones that enable those new to the story to leap right into the action.

The movie's other great strength is its cast: Nicole Kidman as the cool and cruel Marisa Coulter, Daniel Craig as the bold and rebellious Lord Asriel, Sir Ian McKellen as the voice of the armored bear, and young Dakota Blue Richards as the compass-reading Lyra.

The main weakness of the movie is its brevity. At just under two hours, it's a swift trip, occasionally at the expense of some of the story's central relationships.

The story unfolds in a parallel universe where people travel with their souls outside their bodies, encapsulated in animals called "daemons." That world is at a crossroads. The ruling power, a religious organization called the Magisterium, aims to keep people obedient and ignorant about a substance called Dust. Lord Asriel, an intrepid researcher, wants to unlock the secrets of Dust.

Meanwhile, a group called the Gobblers is kidnapping children for mysterious purposes. They snatch the best friend of an 11-year-old girl named Lyra, who possesses a strange golden device that enables her to see the truth about things.

Lyra sets out to rescue her best friend Roger, which takes her from her universe's version of Oxford across an ocean and to the Arctic plains. She is pursued by Mrs. Coulter and helped by witches, boatmen and bears. Lord Asriel, meanwhile, makes his own trip to the world's northern edge.

It's an accomplished adaptation, perfectly cast, and will be the crown jewel of the holiday movie season for fantasy aficionados.

What's in It for Kids

"The Golden Compass" is rated PG-13 for "sequences of fantasy violence." Though the violence isn't bloody, it is realistic and frightening. Kids aren't spared any cruelty in the film and, in fact, take the brunt of it. It's definitely not an appropriate choice for young or sensitive children.

Although a child plays the main role, and although "The Golden Compass" is marketed as a juvenile book, this isn't a kids' story. It is thematically sophisticated -- about the nature of free will, among other things -- and much of that will fly right over the heads of younger viewers.

This doesn't mean there aren't delightful elements for children, though. The human beings get daemons, a dream come true for any animal-loving child. What's more, the story has flying witches and armored polar bears. The fantastic elements are a feast for young eyes -- just not younger than, say, 10.

What's in It for Grown-ups

Some have called for a "Golden Compass" boycott because the movie allegedly promotes atheism. This charge doesn't bear out on-screen. The movie does make free will seem pretty darned attractive, though. And most religious people probably have faith strong enough to withstand the effects of a movie that isn't even two hours long. That's one of the benefits of that free-will thing.

(Story Continues On Next Page...)

http://movies.msn.com/movies/thegol...68-2b77-4f45-b200-6437e2b9be1e&mpc=2

Page 1 of 2

http://tinyurl.com/2d5jug

Posted on Wed, Dec. 05, 2007

Catholic bishops give thumbs-up to `Golden Compass'

"The Golden Compass" � and Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials
trilogy of novels on which it is based � has been criticized in some
quarters for being anti-religious and specifically anti-Catholic.

But the U.S. Conference of Bishops recently issued its official
review of the film � and it's a rave.

Writing for the Catholic News Service (catholicnews. com), critics
Harry Forbes and John Mulderig call the movie "lavish, well-acted and
fast-paced."

"The good news," they write, "is that the first book's explicit
references to this church have been completely excised, with only the
term Magisterium retained. The choice is still a bit unfortunate,
however, as the word refers so specifically to the church's teaching
authority. Yet the film's only clue that the Magisterium is a
religious body comes in the form of the icons which decorate one of
their local headquarters.

"Most moviegoers with no foreknowledge of the books or Pullman's
personal belief system will scarcely be aware of religious
connotations, and can approach the movie as a pure fantasy-adventure.
This is not the blatant real-world anti-Catholicism of, say, the
recent `Elizabeth: The Golden Age' or `The Da Vinci Code.' Religious
elements, as such, are practically nil."

While noting that "Pullman's fanciful universe has a patchwork feel,
with elements culled from other fantasy-adventure stories � most
especially The Chronicles of Narnia (a work Pullman disdains)," the
review goes on to say that the film has "hardly a dull moment."

Whatever Pullman's motives in writing the story, the film "can be
viewed as an exciting adventure story with, at its core, a
traditional struggle between good and evil and a generalized
rejection of authoritarianism, " the review says. "To the extent that
Lyra" � the movie's young heroine � "and her allies are taking a
stand on behalf of free will in opposition to the coercive force of
the Magisterium, they are of course acting entirely in harmony with
Catholic teaching. The heroism and self-sacrifice that they
demonstrate provide appropriate moral lessons �

"Is Pullman trying to undermine anyone's belief in God? Leaving the
books aside and focusing on what has ended up on screen, the script
can reasonably be interpreted in the broadest sense as an appeal
against the abuse of political power."

Addressing the question of whether the film may inspire teens to read
the books, the writers suggest that "rather than banning the movie or
books, parents might instead take the opportunity to talk through any
thorny philosophical issues with their teens."

The religious themes of the later books may be more prominent in the
follow-up films, they note, but for now "this film � altered, as it
is, from its source material � rates as intelligent and well-crafted
entertainment. "

Alexandr

Well, if this is true, then that is a good thing.

In Christ,
Alice

B
B
I haven't seen the movie, but I suspect that it's been watered down a bit, from what I've heard. One of my eighth-grade students told me the book was boring, so he suspected the movie would be, too.

Z
Z
I read the book for revirw purposes. Well, the trilogy.

Its sort of like "Left Behind" in a way. What sells the book is the concept, not the execution.

Both books have extremely weak plotlines, that ar epoorly developed, and centre arond poorly developed Charecters.

The personalities in "His Dark MAterials" seldom to never become three dimensional persons, and exist soley as outhperices for the authros Propoganda.

In fact, jsust as wiht Left Behind, they will foten stop the action in order to deliver a Seron, albeit an Anti-Christain one about how horrible rleigion is, manipualrtive and cruel the Chruhc is, and ow much a Tyrant and liar God is.

The plot plods along, slowly, wiht the firts book beign vastly superir tot he second, which is vastly superior to the third, which exists soley to tell you that the CHristain rleigion is a lie, and hatefulm and a mistake, and the CHurch eixsts to excersise cntrole and dominate and keep midns closed, and how much a brutal ictator God is.

The hatred of God and CHristainity is obvious in book three, which read smor elike Richard Dawkisn non-Fictional "The God Dilusion" than anythign lse.

As with Left Behind, ther eis no subtlely, and no plot dvelopment beyind what is needed ot advance the otry in the needed difrection.

Its poorly wrotten, btu embraced by certian elites in the media and academia because of its subject matter only.

OP Offline
Catholic bishops give thumbs-up to `Golden Compass'

"The Golden Compass" � and Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials
trilogy of novels on which it is based � has been criticized in some
quarters for being anti-religious and specifically anti-Catholic.

But the U.S. Conference of Bishops recently issued its official
review of the film � and it's a rave.

This is a media spin that was mentioned on the news yesterday. (Odd no?) The USCCB has not given any official approval. Apparently this guy is one of the movie reviewers for this publication. Many Catholic bishops are calling for his dismissal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.