The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
B
Originally Posted by Deacon John Montalvo
Originally Posted by byzanTN
Originally Posted by Dr. Eric
Are they singing Kumbaya? biggrin

What was the other one about Michael rowing that %*$& boat ashore? I never figured out what that ever had to do with anything even remotely religious.

Ignorance breeds contempt...

"Michael, Row the Boat Ashore" is a Negro spiritual. Originally published after the Civil War, it was no doubt sung by slaves of the antebellum era. Spirituals were a form of religious expression. The lyrics speak of crossing the Jordan River, which in these spirituals is a metaphor of death. Reaching the shore is in essence attaining the Promised Land, ie, heaven. Given the subhuman experience of slaves, spirituals adapted many OT themes, especially those related to the children of Israel's Eygptian bondage and Exodus. Songs of this genre offered hope in a time of hopelessness.

I know where it came from, and it was significant in its original context. It's like many other things that become rather worthless when taken from the people and context that produced them. I can assure you that middle-class, 60s, hippie nuns with guitars didn't do much suffering. The only suffering was from those of us who had to listen to them. However, I have yet to discover how that song had or has any liturgical place or significance.

The only guitar playing Catholic music that I thought was wonderful were the hits (Dominique, etc.) of the 'Singing Nun'? This nun wore a full habit at the time, by the way...

This was a time when solid Catholic culture was still very strong in the world.

I was just a young child then, but I remember hearing her on my 'transistor radio' (which was a 'way cool' gadget for then), and seeing them on the Ed Sullivan Show!

Does anyone else here remember them from the early 1960's?

Alice

P.S. A quick google search delivered a sad story of her life--a post Vatican II tragedy which affected many nuns in those years.

E
E
Yes, I remember. Faith with very shallow roots; the whole story
of post VII Catholcism.The shallowness was no doing of VatII.
It was exploited by the knaves and scoundrels who abounded in those times, and we were afflicted by having the worst pope in
the hisotry of the Church, Paul the Gutless, Coward of Rome.

Edmac

M
M
When Pope Paul said " the smoke of Satan had entered the Church" he should have said he opened the window. No disrespect intended.

John
John
Originally Posted by Edmac
Yes, I remember. Faith with very shallow roots; the whole story of post VII Catholcism.The shallowness was no doing of VatII. It was exploited by the knaves and scoundrels who abounded in those times, and we were afflicted by having the worst pope in
the hisotry of the Church, Paul the Gutless, Coward of Rome.

Edmac

One may disagree with Pope Paul VI (or any pope or poster). Yet the spirit of charity demands that we do not refer to anyone as either "Gutless" or "Coward".

I ask Edmac to withdraw and apologize.

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
Originally Posted by Alice
The only guitar playing Catholic music that I thought was wonderful were the hits (Dominique, etc.) of the 'Singing Nun'? This nun wore a full habit at the time, by the way...

I was just a young child then, but I remember hearing her on my 'transistor radio' (which was a 'way cool' gadget for then), and seeing them on the Ed Sullivan Show!

Alice

P.S. A quick google search delivered a sad story of her life--a post Vatican II tragedy which affected many nuns in those years.

Debbie Reynolds played the Singing Nun in the movie. Ricardo Montalban was also in the movie.

B
B
Originally Posted by Alice

Alice

I remember the "singing nun" and I even remember transistor radios. You're right, Catholic culture was very different then. We are dating ourselves, Alice. wink

Transistor radios? You young whippersnapper! I remember vacuum tubes and the wonderful tube tester at the local hardware store where you went to check your tubes when the radio stopped working.

Starik

B
B
Originally Posted by Slavipodvizhnik
Transistor radios? You young whippersnapper! I remember vacuum tubes and the wonderful tube tester at the local hardware store where you went to check your tubes when the radio stopped working.

Starik

I remember those tube testers, too, but for TV tubes. The radios were becoming transistorized by then. Either that, or we had an older TV - 3 channels in glorious black and white.

E
E
Administrator;

I will neither withdraw nor apologize. I do consider Paul VI
to have been a good, holy and well-meaning man but an utter
disaster as a pope, and culpably so. We have had popes of
dissolute life who have not as much damage to the Church
as Paul VI did by his failure to exercise the authority given
him by God. On whose shoulders rests the burden of the
degradation of Catholic worship from the mid-60's but on his?
He was a man ill-suited to his office. I don't know if you
lived through the horrors of those years, but I did. Since his
death God has given us two great and holy popes who must work
to undo the evils that Paul could not or would not strive to
prevent.

If you disagree, fine. Please give reasons.

Edmac

Administrator
Administrator
OK, now that we have discussed advances in technology, can this thread get back on topic now?

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+
Administrator

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
Administrator
Administrator
Dear Edmac,

Your reasons still do not justify uncharitable name calling. Since you have refused the administrator's request for an apology and retraction, your posting privileges are hereby suspended until such time as you are willing to do so. This must be done publicly as was your initial comments. Until such time this thread will be closed.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+
Administrator

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
E
E
I apologise to Fr. Anthony and the readers of this thread for
both my uncharitable remarks about our late Holy Father Pope
Paul VI and for my public remarks to Fr. Anthony, which were
not only rude and arrogant but ill-considered.

I repeat my belief that Pope Paul was a good and holy man who
in no way consented to the abuses that he saw going on around
him. That he was unable to cope with them more effectively than
he did is a pity, but I am increasingly of the opinion that the
Holy Spirit was and is at work in all these things, purging
and renewing the Church. Witness the fact that He has since
given us two great Popes.

Edmac

Administrator
Administrator
Dear Ed,

Thank you and welcome back. I will be closing this thread back up again.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+
Administrator

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.