The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 383 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#266506 12/05/07 05:41 AM
Thepeug Offline OP
OP Offline
Help, please!

One of my best friends just got married, and I'd like to present the new couple with an icon as a wedding gift. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there any icons that depict Adam and Eve, for instance (in a "prelasperian" state)? Or perhaps an icon that suggests the Trinitarian mystery of marriage?

On a more somber note, my step-mother's father reposed a few days ago. She is struggling with his passing, and I think an icon that emphasizes the communion of Saints--or a similar notion--might be comforting. Ideas?

Finally, any prayers you can offer for Scott and Mary Ellen (the new couple) or Richard and Kathryn (the father and daughter) are tremendously appreciated. Scott has decided to join his wife in the Catholic Church, so prayers for his journey are needed as well.

Thanks for everything!

God bless,

Chris

A
A
I would suggest an icon of the conception of the Theotokos. Ss. Joachim & Ann embracing (hugging) in front of the marriage bed. It is the traditional marriage icon for an Eastern Christian. [Linked Image]

Dear Friend,

Certainly, the icon above is most beautiful and any icon that "speaks" something to you will be most welcome.

Traditionally, two icons are given to the bride and groom. The groom carries an icon of Christ and the bride an icon of the Mother of God.

These are blessed in church and they become the iconic "hinges" so to speak of their family icon corner.

In Russia, to this day, one of the most popular icons for brides is St Seraphim's icon of the Mother of God "Joy of all Joys."

But it could be any icon of the Theotokos.

In the home, it is traditional to keep the icon of the Holy Trinity (Hospitality of Abraham) and an icon of the Theotokos (often the "Unburning Bush" to protect against fire) in the kitchen.

With respect to those who have reposed, a nice tradition is to give the bereaved an icon of their namesake Patron. When our Premier's son was killed in an accident, I gave him an icon of St Justin the Philosopher, his son's namesake, and he continues to keep it close to him.

Another meaningful icon is that of the Dormition of the Theotokos where Christ holds the soul of His Most Holy Mother while standing over her bier and surrounded by the Apostles, Angels and other Saints.

Prayers for all your intentions. Lord have mercy!

Alex

Last edited by Orthodox Catholic; 12/05/07 02:23 PM.
I think that Icons make wonderful gifts for any festive occasion. Icons are beautiful and they are a glimpse into the Heavenly Kingdom. I would have no reservations about giving an Icon as a gift.

One of our wedding gifts, from my aunt, was a sterling silver icon (these are very popular in Greece, and are now available here too through monastic gift shops and internet sites) of my husband's patron saint. I love it.

Alice

Dear Alice,

When I was a best man to my friend and his wife (she actually believed the best man had a role to be as "close" to her as possible leading up to the wedding day - I told her I was from a Calvinist background and didn't believe in that . . .), I gave them both icons of their namesake Patrons.

During my little speech, I indicated the icon of St Catherine, her saint, and told Tony, her husband that, "See that Catherine wears a crown! " smile

So do you Alice, so do you - at least we hold you as our Queen!

Alex

AthanasiusTheLesser
AthanasiusTheLesser
When two of my closest friends got married to each other nearly two years ago, it was at a time when I had very little money. They really did not expect a gift (they are both pharmacists, so their incomes are much higher than mine), and in fact, insisted that I not buy anything. I decided to get an icon, so I decided on an icon of the Holy Family.

Ryan

BTW, I have a Ukrainian friend who just moved out of her parent's house and got an apartment. She doesn't have much religious stuff up yet and I know she'd like an icon. Any suggestions?

Dear Byzantophile,

Icons of our Lord and the Theotokos are the "staples" of any home, of course.

You might think of an icon of her namesake patron or of a Ukrainian saint, like St Volodymyr.

It could also be an icon of a Marian icon popular among the Ukrainians like Pochaiv, Perpetual Help (always readily available) or other.

Alex

Good suggestions. Thank you!

I
I
Hi, My priest suggested an icon of Christ and another of Christ and the Theotokos, or The Wedding at Cana. I like the Joachim and Anna suggestion. Sounds like it's best to pray about it and see what you're lead to.

By the way, I have little money at this time and will have to wait a year or two to give wedding icons to two couples, is that too late to give a wedding gift?

Peace,
Indigo

A
A
Originally Posted by indigo
Hi, My priest suggested an icon of Christ and another of Christ and the Theotokos, or The Wedding at Cana. I like the Joachim and Anna suggestion. Sounds like it's best to pray about it and see what you're lead to.

By the way, I have little money at this time and will have to wait a year or two to give wedding icons to two couples, is that too late to give a wedding gift?

Peace,
Indigo

I hope not! That is what I had to do with two couples married a month apart (the first being a week before a MAJOR car repair) two years ago. The ended up getting decent "1st Anniversary" gifts the next year when I had more than dust in my bank account.

If you can or wish to save up $250 to commission an icon the following iconographer charges that... http://www.eighthdayicons.com/ordering.cfm.

Simple

Thepeug Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I love the icon of SS Joachim & Anna. Simple, do you have a link to shop that sells the icon displayed in your first post?

Last edited by Thepeug; 12/06/07 08:35 AM. Reason: clarification
S
S
Here's another idea...for a good friend who got married I put together an Easter Basket complete with everything they would need to bring their basket to Church. If you do it right, it will cost roughly $100, but it's something they will have the rest of their lives, and probably something they didn't realize they needed.

I wrapped it in cellophane with a big bow on it -- it was the talk of the wedding.

Originally Posted by Thepeug
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I love the icon of SS Joachim & Anna. Simple, do you have a link to shop that sells the icon displayed in your first post?

It's not the one in the earlier post, but here's the same icon as written by Fr. Thomas Loya, pastor of Annunciation of the Mother of God Byzantine Catholic Parish in Homer Glen, IL:

http://www.catholicposters.com/shop/product.php?prodId=1132&cat=27+28+

You can see the full-size version, as written by Fr. Tom directly on the wall of his church, in one of the photos posted by Pseudo-Athanasius in this thread:

https://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/265337#Post265337

I have purchased this icon from this vendor... it does, indeed, represent SS. Joachim & Anna in full-size view, like the icon on the church wall, and not cut off mid-chest, as the photo on the seller's order page would indicate.

Al (a pilgrim)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.