The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Job Offline OP
Cantor
OP Offline
Cantor
J
Thank you for alerting us about the new Eparchs of Passaic and Van Nuys, but I feel that your personal comments were not appropriate.

The comments edited out by Fr. Deacon were nothing more than my saying I don't really know anything about the men...

I think thin skins are showing on this forum again...

J
Job Offline OP
Cantor
OP Offline
Cantor
J
Originally Posted by sam
My apologies Job. I just reread your post.
AMEN! Kudos to St Nicholas, patron saint of our church.
Sam

Sam...thanks for the apology...but I'm surprised you needed to apologize...I wouldn't say anything publically that I don't know first hand or have had confirmed...even when others choose to believe otherwise...

R
R
What does OESL mean? I could not find it via the Internet.

Is there any canon law that states that the replacing bishop needs to come from a certain Eparchy (in particular - Passaic)?

The Protosyncellus here in Pittsburgh is very qualified - Msgr. Russel Duker. I am surprised that he would not be nominated.

M
M
I believe OESL designates a Licentiate in Oriental Ecclesiastical Studies.

To Bishop Andrew, retiring Bishop of Passaic, many years!
To Bishop William, future Bishop of Passaic, many years!
To Bishop-elect Gerald, many years!

Ray

A
A
Congratulations for the new bishops. All them (new elected and retired) many years!

sam Offline
I would never doubt you, bro. All I can say is that I was completely caught up in the energy of the moment!
Have a Joyous Christmas!
Sam

Originally Posted by Job
Originally Posted by sam
My apologies Job. I just reread your post.
AMEN! Kudos to St Nicholas, patron saint of our church.
Sam

Sam...thanks for the apology...but I'm surprised you needed to apologize...I wouldn't say anything publically that I don't know first hand or have had confirmed...even when others choose to believe otherwise...

B
B
I have never met Bishop Andrew, although I have learned from this forum that he has both his admirers and his detractors. One can only wish the new and former bishops well, along with the people of Passaic.

Administrator
Administrator
Originally Posted by byzanTN
I have never met Bishop Andrew, although I have learned from this forum that he has both his admirers and his detractors. One can only wish the new and former bishops well, along with the people of Passaic.
Agreed! Add to that the faithful of the Eparchy of Van Nuys.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
from an eparchial memo dated December 6, 2007:

Most Reverend William C. Skurla, Bishop of the Eparchy of Van Nuys in Phoenix, Arizona was appointed fourth Bishop of the Eparchy of Passaic in New Jersey by Pope Benedict XVI in Rome on Thursday, December 6, 2007. His enthronement will take place at the Cathedral of Saint Michael the Archangel in Passaic, New Jersey on Tuesday, January 29, 2008.

The retirement of Most Reverend Andrew Pataki, JCL, Bishop of the Eparchy of Passaic in New Jersey was accepted by Pope Benedict XVI in Rome on December 6, 2007.

Very Reverend Gerald N. Dino, Protosyncellus of the Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Passaic and pastor of Saint George Church, Linden NJ was named fourth Bishop of the Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Van Nuys on December 6, 2007 in Rome. He will be ordained and enthroned at Saint Helen Catholic Church in Phoenix, Arizona on Thursday, March 27, 2008.

R
R
March 28th is a long time to wait for a bishop.

Is that the first Apostolic feast in the Calendar?

S
Cantor
Cantor
S
Actually, since there is a named successor, it is a short wait.

Last time the Eparchy of Van Nuys (whose cathedral is in Sherman Oaks, and whose Bishop resides in Phoenix) had to wait almost two years for a successor to Bishop George!

The longer wait may for those in Passaic who are less enthused with Bishop Andrew.

Originally Posted by Robert K
March 28th is a long time to wait for a bishop.

Is that the first Apostolic feast in the Calendar?

Bishop William will be installed as the Eparch of Passaic just prior to the Great Fast on the Eve of the Three Hierarchs. Bishop-designate Gerald will be consecrated and installed as the Eparch of Van Nuys after Pascha. March 27 is actually Bright Thursday on the Calendar.

Mnohaya Lita to the new Bishops! Can congratulatory messages be sent to them prior to their Installations?

"His enthronement will take place at the Cathedral of Saint Michael the Archangel in Passaic, New Jersey on Tuesday, January 29, 2008."

Enthronement? What will the ceremony be like?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.