The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (seven_mansions), 409 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#267602 12/10/07 01:58 AM
Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
I am watching 'A Christmas Carol' on TMC channel right now...it is very old (1938) and in black and white(John Doucette will appreciate that), but I have to admit that my favorite version of the Dicken's classic, is the one with George C. Scott from 1984.

I absolutely love this tale...I think that its message is very, very deeply touching and spiritual. I think that it is a movie which many men today, just as yesteryear, might benefit from.

In Christ,
Alice

Alice #267603 12/10/07 01:59 AM
B
B
I have that old black and white version. I remember watching it in elementary school in the late 1950s. Those ghosts were scary.

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by byzanTN
I have that old black and white version. I remember watching it in elementary school in the late 1950s. Those ghosts were scary.

Dear Charles,

Probably because you were young, you remember the ghosts that way...however, watching it now, they are not really. On the other hand, I still consider the ghosts in the 1984 movie with George C. Scott as MUCH MORE scary!

I LOVE this tale! It always brings me to tears! wink

In Christ,
Alice

Alice #267617 12/10/07 02:43 AM
Alice,

Do you remember the Mr. Magoo cartoon version? One of my favorites when I was a kid. biggrin

Originally Posted by Etnick
Alice,

Do you remember the Mr. Magoo cartoon version? One of my favorites when I was a kid. biggrin

Oh yes! I will forever be grateful for the Mr. Magoo version, as it led me to the original Dickens' story, and helped launch my interest in fine literature.

Oh, and by the way, I think the ghosts in this story are supposed to be scary, to drive home the message of the need to repent. Marley's ghost, as described in the original, is terrifying, as is the Ghost of Christmas future. The other two appear benevolent when they first reveal themselves, but bring much pain to Scrooge. I always pictured the Ghost of Christmas past in the image emaciated child, and the Ghost of Christmas present as a fellow who becomes angry when he's drunk, especially once he reveals the two spirits hiding beneath his robe.

Have you seen the video version that Patrick Stewart has done? I'd rank it with the George C. Scott version.

Last edited by soxfan59; 12/10/07 02:29 PM.
Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
HEHEHE, Mr. Magoo! crazy

I remember him...but I don't think that I saw him in the movie!

I think that I also remember a 'Duck Tales' version my children used to watch with a certain lead character called 'Scrooge MCDuck'!! LOL!

Have you seen the video version that Patrick Stewart has done? I'd rank it with the George C. Scott version.

Yes, yes, I actually did...he is a brilliant actor, simply brilliant...and it was a marvelous interpretation. I hope to come across either of the two on television soon. If you know when they will be on, please let me know.

Indeed, what was missing from the 1938 version was the 'scariness' factor of the ghosts...

Anyway, no matter the (non-cartoon) version, I always end up in tears by the last 1/3 of the movie...

Alice

Alice #267977 12/12/07 03:08 AM
We finally had to buy our own copy of Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol because they stopped showing it on TV for awhile and when it came back I'm quite certain they cut parts out to get more commercials in. frown

Our family favorite version is the British B/W film from 1951 starring Alastair Sim as Scrooge. Patrick MacNee (of Avengers fame) has a small part. Blockbuster Video in our neighborhood put the film on sale for $5 after Christmas one year. We bought about 10 and gave them out to people we felt were in most need of the message. smile The hardest cases got their's "hand delivered" and we stayed to watch it with them!!

The most touching moment of the film is waiting for Mr. Cratchit to arrive home after Tiny Tim has died; the eldest son is reading Psalm 90. I'm choking up already.

Barbara

Grateful
Grateful
My favorite version was with Bill Murray, Scrooged.

-- John

D
D
i like this version biggrin [Linked Image]

My favorite version is from 1970, called "Scrooge" with Albert Finney. It's a musical version and very well done.

T
T
I have to chime in for the Alistair Sim version. The scene when he realizes it's Christmas morning and dances around his room singing "I don't know any ting!" is just too perfect. One of the greatest moments in all cinematic history. I know you all have your favorites, but I still think the Alisair Sim version is the best ever done. My wife gave me a copy on DVD a few years ago. It's one I can watch again and again, anytime of the year.

Tim

E
E
The Sim version is my favorite, too.

When I watch the scene Tim mentions, I think, "Restore to me
the joy of Thy Salvation."

Edmac

Originally Posted by John K
My favorite version is from 1970, called "Scrooge" with Albert Finney. It's a musical version and very well done.

I have to tell you all a tale about this version of the story.

My wife and I lead a small prayer/bible study group that meets once a week or so at our church. Its very informal, but we have all become very good friends. One year, one of the younger couples thought it would be great for all of us to go see a local theatrical production of "A Christmas Carol." Here in the Chicago area, the Goodman Theater has an annual tradition of putting on this marvelously intricate staged version of the story that is very true to the original story. We investigated group rates for this production, but it was a little too expensive for us.

Our friends did some more checking, and found out that a suburban community theater group was doing a presentation of "Scrooge," an onstage version of the Albert Finney movie that John K mentioned. The admission was reasonable, so off we all went to see the show.

There are times when you go to see a movie or a play, and you come away saying -- that was so bad, I really wasted my time and money. But sometimes, a production is so bad, its deliciously good in that the mishaps and poor acting and singing prove to be an unintentional parody.

This play was miscast, horribly performed, and every possible technical mishap that could occur happened. It was as if the cast of Saturday Night Live or some other irreverent program had set out to do a parody of the show. It was unfortunate for the cast, but I had not had such an enjoyable night out in years.

It is an inside joke with my wife and friends now, whenever "Christmas Carol" comes up in conversation, and we recall some episode from the play, and laugh and laugh again.

Its a guilty pleasure to be sure -- we don't know who the people are who put on the show, and we hope our mockery isn't over the top. But it was truly one of the most unintentionally funny evenings I have ever spent in the theater.

D
D
I currently have both the 1938 version and the George C. Scott version waiting on my Tivo. I'm leaning to the earlier version this year.

Isn't the Stewart one the more recent musical?

I've never had much use for the Mickey Mouse version--too bubbly & light. I will admit to a fondness, though, for the exchange of "cheated widows and orphans", and and admiring response of, "Yes. And both on the same day!}" {OK, I'm a lawyer. So sue me!}

hawk

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
Just saw the George C. Scott version--in its entirety-- on television this evening, and it happened again...I cried and cried!!!

Seriously, this movie is like a very good sermon..it is ironic that our society pushes the same vices of avarice and greed that Dicken's is making a statement *against*, as traits which are normal, healthy, and expected of every competent American citizen...

There is alot to ponder and to contemplate in this Dicken's classic...

Alice

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.