The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I am reading "Nicholas II -- Twilight of the Empire" by Dominic Lieven. I am fascinated both by the life of Tsar Nicholas and his family, and the fall of Imperial Russia, and this book is about the best I've ever read. For those interested in the sorts of things discussed in the thread about the end of the mystery of Russia's royal martyrs should give this book a shot. I suppose most folks are more familiar with "Nicholas and Alexandra" by Robert Massie, which is a marvelous biography in and of itself, but Massie's book is more of a focus on family life, and the tragedy of the heir's hemophilia. Lieven's book is more a political and social analysis of Russia under Nicholas, and, unlike Massie and others, he believes that Nicholas was not the weak, indecisive man usually portrayed by history, and had events been just a little different, there might not have been a Bolshevik revolution. In his last chapter, he also compares the failure's of Nicholas' Empire with the fall of the Soviet Union, and draws some fascinating parallels to both of Russia's revolutions.

A
A
Human Being, A Spiritual Anthology by Oliver Cl�ment.

Fascinating author, at times it kicks me right in the pants... Each sentence seems worth reading twice, and the patristic references I wish to hi-light... BUT, its been lended to me, so I need to find my own copy so that I can really carve it up with a hi-lighter in the way it demands.

reading Philokalia, Vol.one. love it, so sensible and down to earth!
Much Love,
Jonn

I
I
This is such a cool thread. I'm finishing up a term paper so I have to hold the bit back on books ordered for holiday reads.

I read a passage daily from:
The Life of the Virgin Mary, the Theotokos by Holy Apostles Convent
Isbn. 0944359035

Gospel of St. Luke by Blessed Theophylact Isbn.0963518356 (I think this pertains to the single and not the set)

Orthodox Saints October-December by George Poulos isbn. 0917651677

Journey to the Holy Mountain:Meditations on Mount Athos by Christopher Merrill isbn. 0007119011

Next up list:
Reading Scripture with the Church Fathers by Christopher A. Hall isbn.0830815007

Jesus of Nazareth- Pope Benedict XVI. I've read about a fourth of it and it is AWESOME!! God willing,I want to finish it as Lenten reading.Are their any present day theologians that can hold a candle to him?!

If this be treason: Translation and its dyscontents A Memoir by Gregory Rabassa isbn. 9780811216654

Don Quijote notes and edition by Martin de Riquer (in Spanish)

Hamlet Folger Shakespeare Library
El Sueno del Dragon (Dragon's dream. travelogue about China) by Carlos Ernesto Garcia

and I had to get Eternal City: Confessions of a Vampire by William David Kirkpatrick as recommended on this forum.

Thank God for university interlibrary loans!!! This'll keep me busy most of the spring.

Peace,
Indigo

I
I
Oh, and thanks for listing your reads, I've already seen several books that may be future reads.

Anyone using a Amazon Kindle reader?

I'm currently reading/have read "The Gift of the Magi" by O Henry, "A Christmas Memory" and "The Thanksgiving Visitor" by Truman Capote, and "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens. These are all for my book club on Wednesday night. We sometimes try to coordinate the menu to go with what we're reading, however, the moderator, who is Jewish, tried to come up with a holiday menu and was at a loss. So after much consternation he sent out an email that said, "What says 'Christmas' more than Mexican?!" So we're having a make your own taco meal with a wide variety of fasting and non-fasting toppings and a Tres Leches cake for dessert! Yum! Feliz Navidad y'all!

Originally Posted by Ingigo
Jesus of Nazareth- Pope Benedict XVI. I've read about a fourth of it and it is AWESOME!! God willing,I want to finish it as Lenten reading.Are their any present day theologians that can hold a candle to him?!

Absolutely agree. I bought this book as a Christmas present for myself. It is simple and deep. Many years to Josef Ratzinger (alias Benedict XVI) for this gift! Did you know that 14 (the generations in Matthew's Gospel) was the number for -- DAVID? Again I say, ad multos annos!

I am also (re)reading the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. What a wonderful, wonderful author he was! "There's not a moment to be lost!" biggrin

Michael

M
M
My kids are a little small to understand it but I can start praying to this saint that someday they will.

I have been reading Archbisop Raya's Eyes of the Gospel again. It just gives so much more understanding each time I read it. biggrin

for Christmas, read The Fourth Magi. that has always been my favorite Christmas story. I have always identified with Artaban from Ecbatana.
Much Love,
Jonn

Well, it's not a religious book but, now that I am finally done with this semester and I can read what I want I am reading Atonement by Ian McEwan.

Victor Frankl's Man Search for Meaning. A little light reading for the holidays...

Gordo

In light of that read Gordo, is there a link to wisdom and suffering?

Terry

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
I am America (And So can You!) by Stephen Colbert. biggrin

Grateful
OP Offline
Grateful
The Year of Living Biblically [amazon.com] by A. J. Jacobs. smile

-- John

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.