The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
U
OP Offline
U
I only ask this question to see how the Metropolia is dependent upon the use of Bi-Ritual priests.

U-C

A
A
Not Too Shabby Greek Catholics [blog.ancient-future.net]

We do of course have many deacons that have been ordained, and many candidates in formation at this time. When counting the clergy up, we should count them, and take a look at the numbers we have and consider their diverse backgrounds. The deacon at my parish is a convert - from protestantism. He did not pass Rome, did not collect $200 - he converted to the Catholic Faith into our Church.

U
OP Offline
U
Let us hope, that these formations lead to priestly ordinations, including married candidates, as the survival of the Metropolia is at stake.

U-C

A
A
Originally Posted by Ung-Certez
Let us hope, that these formations lead to priestly ordinations, including married candidates, as the survival of the Metropolia is at stake.

U-C

Eventually I suspect some will...

But the survival of the Metropolia has also a good deal to do with the number on the other side of the icon screen. 5 married men on evry altar doesn't go terribly far if it is only 5 clergy spouses in the congregation!

Let's pray for vocations and faithfull.

U
OP Offline
U
...but not to ordain married canidates is a mistake, a mistake that should finally be corrected.

Ungcsertezs

A
A
Ungcsertezs,

It is being corrected... But again, evangelism and praying for membership is also of paramount importance.

3 priests and 6 deacons per parish would only mean so much, if there are only a handful on the other side of the icon screen.

Simple

F
F
Three genuinely committed priests and six genuinely committed deacons would make a huge, positive difference in almost any parish. Bring them on!

The only bi-ritual priest I know of in Ireland hasn't served a Divine Liturgy in decades. Rarely (once every 3 years or so0 he turns up and attends the Divine Liturgy here in Dublin.

Fr. Serge

P
P
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
In the Eparchy of Parma lists 19 Latin priests, 12 religious, 7 diocesan, with bi-ritual faculties. It does not appear any serve as pastors.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My last move in the military brought me to the St. Louis area: Our "mission parish" (which is 30 years old) has 5 bi-ritual priests who rotate to serve our parish. None were originally Byzantine. I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence . . .

A
A
Originally Posted by Priest's Grandson
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
In the Eparchy of Parma lists 19 Latin priests, 12 religious, 7 diocesan, with bi-ritual faculties. It does not appear any serve as pastors.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My last move in the military brought me to the St. Louis area: Our "mission parish" (which is 30 years old) has 5 bi-ritual priests who rotate to serve our parish. None were originally Byzantine. I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence . . .

It is no affront to the men who so generously serve our good people, I am sure. While they are serving pastorally, they are not appointed to the office.

One Ruthenian priest I know of has served the local Ukrainian parish during different periods when they were between pastors. While he was the one who was celebrating the mysteries with and for them for (at times) months at a stretch, he was never understood to be the pastor.

P
P
Originally Posted by A Simple Sinner
One Ruthenian priest I know of has served the local Ukrainian parish during different periods when they were between pastors. While he was the one who was celebrating the mysteries with and for them for (at times) months at a stretch, he was never understood to be the pastor.

I guess I just don't understand what you mean . . . this mission parish has existed for 30 years and has ONLY had bi-ritual priests serving in rotation. One is the lead, who works with the Eparchy.

Dave

A
A
What I mean is he was/they are not appointed by the bishop as the full time pastor.

P
P
What I mean is he was/they are not appointed by the bishop as the full time pastor.

Ah. Thanks!

That would be difficult, as he's got his own full-time parish.

Dave

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
Is that the Ruthenian Mission at the Bl John XXIII center, which used to have Liturgy at the Blessed Virgin's Chapel in the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis?

P
P
Originally Posted by Dr. Eric
Is that the Ruthenian Mission at the Bl John XXIII center, which used to have Liturgy at the Blessed Virgin's Chapel in the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis?

Yes! And we hope to have a new website up soon . . .

Dave

A
A
Originally Posted by Priest's Grandson

Ah. Thanks!

That would be difficult, as he's got his own full-time parish.

Dave

I wasn't clear when I wrote "One Ruthenian priest I know of has served the local Ukrainian parish during different periods when they were between pastors. While he was the one who was celebrating the mysteries with and for them for (at times) months at a stretch, he was never understood to be the pastor."

During those times of serving the UGCC parish, this priest was the pastor of OUR parish a few miles down the street. My example didn't make that clear. So even though Father was found every sunday at the UGCC parish at 9 for months at a stretch, he wasn't their pastor... He already had us!

To be clear, we appreciate and love all of the gentle priests who have helped us out.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.