The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
On the Biela Krinitsa website there is an article that gives the most comprehensive explanation of the neck Cross I've ever seen.

Among other things, it is stated that baptismal Crosses are always referred to as "Crosses worn on the skin" ("Natyelnie Khresty") as they are worn underneath our clothing.

Such Crosses have the full depiction of the instruments of Christ's Passion, including the reed and spear, and the various identifying letterings e.g. IC XC, NI KA, and so on. On the back is the prayer from Psalm 67 "Let God arise . . ."

Such Crosses do not depict Christ on them and the Slavic tradition is for Crosses depicting Christ to be worn on top of one's clothing (i.e. by priests and bishops).

The reason as to why Christ is not generally depicted on baptismal Crosses worn "on the skin" is because laity often "attend places where the icon of Christ should not be in . . ." (sic).

The neck Cross is to never be taken off as an ever-present Guardian of our souls and bodies.

It should be worn on a cord around one's neck long enough to allow one to make the Sign of the Cross with the neck Cross during morning and evening prayers (and also during the fulfillment of one's rule of prayer) without removing it.

Mention is also made of the "poyas" or the special embroidered cincture/belt that is given to the newly baptised along with the neck Cross to signify they have "girded" themselves for service to God.

Finally, a comprehensive method for saying the Jesus Prayer on the "lestovka" is given.

The Jesus Prayer is recited on the smaller steps and the prayer "Remember me Lord when You come into Your Kingdom" is said on the first larger step. Then "Remember me O Master when You come into Your Kingdom" on the second larger divider step and then "Remember me O Holy One when You come into Your Kingdom" on the third larger divider step.

When one gets to the space following the 100th smaller step, one recites the "Glory be to the Father . . ."

Then on the three larger steps above the "leaves" or "Lapostki" one says "Alleluia, alleluia, Glory to You, O Lord" on each (the Old Believers say the Alleluia twice, not three times).

Then one moves up the three larger steps on the other side and says on each one "Lord have mercy."

And then on the space above one again says the "Glory be . . ." and begins the next "hundredth" of Jesus Prayers.

And the lestovka should always be held in the left hand, between the index and middle fingers (the fingers that represent the two Natures of Christ which are used to make the Sign of the Cross) and these two fingers alone should be used in moving from one step to the other during the recitation of the Jesus Prayer.

So those are the three items that mark the Christian in the Old Rite tradition especially: The neck Cross on a cord, the Lestovka and the cincture.

Thought it was interesting . . .

Alex

Last edited by Orthodox Catholic; 01/09/08 02:44 PM.
O
O
Exceedingly interesting smile

Thank you Alex for bringing that to my notice.

Bits of it you have mentioned at other times - such as the cord being long enough so you can cross yourself with the Cross - but other things were totally new to me

OP Offline
Dear Anhelyna,

Happy New Year and Hogmanay!

The great thing is that one can always learn new things about these traditions.

And, as is often the case, we pick and choose which we like and choose to incorporate into our spiritual life.

Cheers,

Alex

Православный мирян
Православный мирян
Alex,

What is the URL for that website?

Timothy the newly-illumined

F
F
Dear Alex,

What's the address of the Bielaia Krinitsa web-site?

Fr. Serge

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
F
F
That's a nice-looking web-site;thank you. But it's not by or for Bielaia Krinitsa; this site is produced by the much smaller Church centered at Novozybkov. They are the remnant of the "Beglopopovsty" who refused to accept the hierarchy established Bielaia Krinitsa and descending from Saint Ambrose of Bielaia Krinitsa. In the nineteen-twenties they succeeded in acquiring a bishop from the Renovationist "Living Church" movement sponsored by the Soviet government - to the best of my awareness, they are the only surviving group descending from the Renovationists.

Gradually, parishes are leaving this group in favor of the Russian Old-Ritualist Orthodox Church - which is about ten times the size of the smaller group and which maintains the hierarchy originally established at Bielaia Krinitsa.

Fr. Serge

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Bless, Father,

Next time, I'll check the link before just picking it blindly out of my "favorites" list on the basis of the url name blush . Here you go ...

[i]Ruska Pravoslavna Starobriodts Crkva[/i] [rpsc.ru]

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
OP Offline
Actually, this is the Bela Krinitsa site:

http://www.belaya-krinica.kiev.ua

Cheers,

Alex

Online Content
"Remember me Lord when You come into Your Kingdom" . . . "Remember me O Master when You come into Your Kingdom" . . . "Remember me O Holy One when You come into Your Kingdom"

Alex:

Where else in Byzantine usage--liturgical or private prayer--would this set of prayers be found? Somehow I have seen this sequence or read about it or heard it and have used it frequently.

In Christ,

BOB

OP Offline
Dear Bob,

Yes, it is in the Byzantine Prayer before Communion that is recited by the Priest during the Liturgy (the "Prayer of the Good Thief").

Alex

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.