The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
OP Offline
G
Israeli Holocaust museum honors Byzantine Catholic bishop
Jerusalem, Jan. 29, 2008 (CWNews.com) - The Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial in Jerusalem has accorded the title of "Righteous among the Nations" to Blessed Pavol Gojdic, A Byzantine bishop who served in Slovakia from 1926 to 1960.

The rabbi of Kosice, Slovakia, Jossi Steiner, and a Jewish woman whose life was saved by Bishop Gojdic initiated the process to grant the honorary title to the Catholic prelate, who was beatified by Pope John Paul II (bio - news) in 2001.

The honor granted to Bishop Gojdic, who suffered imprisonment under the Communist regime, has special significance as Jewish people have sometimes accused Catholics in Slovakia of actively assisting the Holocaust.

Wonderful news!

Shlomo Lkhoolkhoon,

Here is some good news.

Poosh BaShlomo Lkhoolkhoon,
Yuhannon

The Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial [cwnews.com] in Jerusalem has accorded the title of "Righteous among the Nations" to Blessed Pavol Gojdic, A Byzantine bishop who served in Slovakia from 1926 to 1960.

D
D
Saturday evening was a liturgy at our seminary in Presov, and Fr. Lubomir PETRIK, chancellor of the Eparchy of Presov udes in his homily a story from a letter send to the Eparchy, witnessing acts of Blessed Paul towards Jews.

Letter was sent by one lady, who was twelve at that time, but still remembers, how was she together with her sister accepted to Greek catholic High School and protected there by Blessed Paul, and fact, that when Hlinkova Garda (Slovak fascist organization during WWII) was looking for Jews in Presov, and her father was walking in the streets, Blessed Paul immediately took his hand and thus saved his life, as he was walking with him!!!

Blazennyj otce, mucenicne Pavle, moli Boha o nas!!!

A great man of God and it was my grandfather, Fr. John, who first told me about the stigmata that Bl. Pavel Goyjdicz received while in prison.

Alex

D
D
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
A great man of God and it was my grandfather, Fr. John, who first told me about the stigmata that Bl. Pavel Goyjdicz received while in prison.

Alex

Since you are not accepting PM, who was your grandfather, that he knew about this sotry with stigmata....?

Daniel

F
F
There is no doubt at all that Blessed Paul deserves this honor.

Nonetheless, there remains the question of why the Zionists have all these decades refused any recognition to the considerable efforts of Metropolitan Andrew, who at great risk to himself saved a serious number of Jews from certain death at the hands of the Nazis. Apparently they cannot bring themselves to acknowledge that the most important and outstanding Ukrainian leader of the 20th century actually rescued Jews from the Holocaust.

But let us rejoice that they have acknowledged Blessed Paul. During World War II the notorious Msgr Tiso abused Bishop Paul shamefully - but this did not stop Bishop Paul from interceding for Tiso when he was sentenced to death for war crimes.

Fr. Serge

Dear Danielik (you are a Priest?),

My grandfather was a priest under the communists until he was released to the West in 1966 with my grandmother, Irene and the stigmata of Bl. Pavel were, according to him, talked about everywhere. My grandfather also spent time in Slovakia and in Hungary.

Bl. Pavel's picture was always together with the new martyrs of the Ukrainian Catholic Church (as was that of Bl. Theodore Romzha) so I always considered him to be Ukrainian! smile

When I was reading a book about Bl. Pavel and his picture appeared, my grandfather stopped me and said, "That holy one bled from the hands and feet in prison . . ."

It was a blessing to me to have my grandparents and to receive the witness of their piety and life experience.

Alex

Bless, Father Archimandrite,

What is even more important is why Rome has steadfastly refused to beatify Metropolitan Andrew . . .

Alex

D
D
Dear Danielik (you are a Priest?),

My grandfather was a priest under the communists until he was released to the West in 1966 with my grandmother, Irene and the stigmata of Bl. Pavel were, according to him, talked about everywhere. My grandfather also spent time in Slovakia and in Hungary.

Bl. Pavel's picture was always together with the new martyrs of the Ukrainian Catholic Church (as was that of Bl. Theodore Romzha) so I always considered him to be Ukrainian! smile

When I was reading a book about Bl. Pavel and his picture appeared, my grandfather stopped me and said, "That holy one bled from the hands and feet in prison . . ."

It was a blessing to me to have my grandparents and to receive the witness of their piety and life experience.

Alex

Dear Orthodox - Catholic

I am not a priest yet, although I am in my last year of studies at Presov Seminary (Dedicated to the Blessed Bishop Paul Peter Gojdich).

Bishop Gojdich considered himself Rusyn. Bishop Hopko felt Ukrainian. But, they are interceding for all of us. We can be sure... smile

Have you heard about the book by Fr. Amrian POTAS, OSBM? Dar Lasky (Slovak) Zitja vyddane Bohovi (Ukrainian)...

Dear Danielik,

No, I haven't - I will search for it though!

"Dar Lasky?" Sounds Ukrainian to me! smile

God bless you and strengthen you to complete your studies and inspire you for your work in Christ's Vineyard!

Alex

D
D
There was also an English excerpt frm the slovak book "Dar Lasky" - I know, that Basilian sisters sent some of them to Pittsburg, I will try to find out, if it is still available

Thank you for the prayers, without them is my future priesthood impossible...

Daniel

Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
There is no doubt at all that Blessed Paul deserves this honor.

Nonetheless, there remains the question of why the Zionists have all these decades refused any recognition to the considerable efforts of Metropolitan Andrew, who at great risk to himself saved a serious number of Jews from certain death at the hands of the Nazis. Apparently they cannot bring themselves to acknowledge that the most important and outstanding Ukrainian leader of the 20th century actually rescued Jews from the Holocaust.

But let us rejoice that they have acknowledged Blessed Paul. During World War II the notorious Msgr Tiso abused Bishop Paul shamefully - but this did not stop Bishop Paul from interceding for Tiso when he was sentenced to death for war crimes.

Fr. Serge

Father, Bless!

Indeed, it is disappointing that Metropolitan Andrew is not recognized. I have heard it is because when the German Army first came into Ukraine, the Ukrainians considered it a liberation from the Soviets, and Metropolitan Andrew greeted them. But then, so did Jewish people. People did not anticipate the terrible atrocity that would come. Metropolitan Andrew afterwards heroically did much to save the Jews.

Blessings,

Lance

A Byzantine Christian in a Postmodern World [byzantinechristian.blogspot.com]

Last edited by lanceg; 01/31/08 05:12 PM.
Bless, Father Archimandrite,

What is even more important is why Rome has steadfastly refused to beatify Metropolitan Andrew . . .

Alex

Alex, what about this from the website of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Winnipeg:

Prayer for the Canonization of the Servant of God, Metropolitan Andrew Sheptytsky

At present, proceedings for glorification in the community of Saints are taking place in Rome. To procure this blessing of God for our Church and nation, our entire community must understand the power and meaning of supplications, fervent prayers, virtuous life, good deeds and sacrifices for the attainment of this objective...

Dear Anna,

Yes, that is wonderful.

However, you will forgive me if my attitude remains, "I'll believe it when I see it."

Alex

Is it true that Andrew Sheptytsky converted to Orthodoxy before he died? If so, how does Rome look upon this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.