The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (NathanJA), 395 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#277329 02/07/08 04:24 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Why so many of us ran screaming from the Anglican/Episcopal Church, read this.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23436203-details/Adoption+of+Islamic+Sharia+law+in+Britain+is+'unavoidable'%2C+says+Archbishop+of+Canterbury/article.do

I'm flabbergasted by statements like this.

Can you imagine what would be said if Christians tried to establish ecclesiastical courts for clergy again?

M
M
This is why I never considered Anglicanism.

Where would they give the lashes in England? How about the executions? Will the Brittish police arrest muslim women who don't have a male relative with them? God have mercy on England!

D
Jessup B.C. Deacon
Jessup B.C. Deacon
D
Not shocking-considering the source. When there are no fixed truths (i.e., High Church, Low Church, Broad Church), and we all have our own "truth", then it would be illogical not to accomodate "Sharia". Just another example of Modernist "chickens coming home to roost". God Save the Queen!

O
O
There is one fact here that is ignored.

If I , a resident of the UK choose to go where Sharia Law is enforced then I have to abide by it - even though it would seem very strange to me.

If I got to France - I abide by French Law

If in Germany , German Law

etc etc

Here in the UK we are not subject to Sharia law - and I fail to understand why Dr Rowan Williams , Archbishop of Canterbury thinks that it will become inevitable.

When in Rome etc

P
OP Offline
P
Well, with Islam, everything must be changed to accommodate Muslims.

Here in the US, they don't want to become American, they want America to become a caliphate.

I like the Australian answer, personally. If you don't want to live our way of life....clear off.

Orthodox Christian
Orthodox Christian
Well, if Clinton wins, then we might have Sharia Law here in the USA. After all, the Clintons okayed the bombing of Orthodox monasteries and graveyards in Kosovo on Pascha the holiest day of the year. And she supported and/or urged Bill all the way. She has been known to give anti-Christian and pro-Islamic speeches over the past 10 to 20 years.

Let us pray for our leaders that they may come to their senses.

Last edited by Elizabeth Maria; 02/07/08 05:46 PM.
Father,

I saw that today too. Archbishop Rowan Williams is too post-modern for my tastes. What I don't understand is his supporting argument, that "Orthodox Jewish courts already operated in the UK, and anti-abortion views of Catholics and other Christians were 'accommodated within the law'. The weight of this support does not seem to balance a partial accomidation of Sharia Law.

I haven't seen the transcript. Since the media tends to mismanage spiritual matters, there is a slight chance that they misunderstood the meaning of his talk. Since the chance is a little too slight coming from him, I must wonder what the consequences of his opinion will be.

I believe that he is first a philosopher, and a post-modern Contenintal philosopher at that. His opinions filter out of his way of understanding and seeing ideas.

Terry

Last edited by Terry Bohannon; 02/07/08 06:05 PM.
I wonder about the selective accomodation of relgious laws and customs implicit in the ARchbishop's stance.

The law in the UK has just recently gone after Christian groups, including one of his own brother bishops, for daring to be against homosexuality. And there are some groups in the UK that have demanded that the Catholic Church not be allowed to have schools because the Church's religious stances in some areas are considered at odds with the demands of political correctness and secularists.

But he calls for far more for Muslims? What's wrong with this picture?

BOB

His priorities in this case seem out of sorts with the ways of God. What are the spiritual consequences for his flock?

Terry

E
E
Well, it looks like the Archbishop of Canterbury is pushing the limits again.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article3328024.ece

I nearly fell off my chair when I read this---

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
... the Archbishop�s proposals were not even supported by the Muslim community. He said: �As far as I am aware, no serious body of Muslim opinion supports the idea of special treatment, or exemption from the law of the land based on some vague �conscientious objection�.

�Raising this idea in this way will give fuel to anti-Muslim extremism and dismay everyone who is working towards a more integrated society.�
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Like all liberal ideas, the intent is always in higher esteem than actual results.

Ed

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.