The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Logos - Alexis #279820 02/23/08 01:06 AM
OP Offline
I know a lot of traditional-leaning Catholics do not like it *at all* and positively FREAKED OUT when Cardinal Ratzinger gave Brother Roger Communion at Pope John Paul II's Requiem Mass, even if he was actually a convert to Catholicism.

Alexis

ALEXIS:

That's probably why relying on those who style themselves "Latin trads," "traditional Catholics," or the current label is a bad idea. So many think they are more Catholic than the hierarchy and those whom the Lord has placed in authroity over the Catholic Church.

I'd have had to ask some of these people later if they thought Cardinal Ratzinger, of all people, would not have known the status of someone of such public stature.

In Christ,

BOB

theophan #279827 02/23/08 03:47 AM
A
A
I am going to go out on a limb and hope that folks who freaked out were unaware of his conversion...

Because if they were aware he was a Catholic, and they were still scandalized a Catholic received Communion...

A Simple Sinner #279828 02/23/08 03:54 AM
L
L
I never said I defended that. And there are MANY traditional Roman Catholics who didn't say that, and stood up to it. Anyway I'm a "traditional" Roman Catholic and didn't have any worries, except for the appearance of him communing a non-Catholic, but I've always Joseph Ratzinger is a genius and, above that, an exceptionally wise and holy man and would have good reason for doing something like that.

Turns out, he did: Brother Roger was actually Catholic.

Alexis

Logos - Alexis #279829 02/23/08 04:37 AM
A
A
Alexis, wanted to be clear I didn't think that you said it.

I would just challenge anyone who WOULD say it to come forward and explain why a Catholic convert receiving Communion would cause scandal. I would hope they were just not familiar with his conversion - actually, most people weren't now that I think about it.

So it goes to show, sometimes (most times? all the time?) we don't know the whole story, and worrying too much about what "they are doing" is time we should have been looking at ourselves..

A Simple Sinner #279834 02/23/08 06:18 AM
R
Bill from Pgh
Bill from Pgh
R
From the Taize wesite:

www.taize.fr/en_article2650.html [taize.fr]

www.taize.fr/en_article3864.html [taize.fr]

More related links in the lefthand column of these two articles.

rcguest #280000 02/24/08 10:21 PM
R
Bill from Pgh
Bill from Pgh
R
This thread piqued my interest in Taize and Brother Roger Shutz.

I am not a big fan of the National Catholic Reporter and I've never attended a Taize prayer service, but I found this article to be absolutely excellent and a worthy read. This article also dispels the rumor of intercommunion.

http://ncronline.org/NCR_Online/archives2/2005d/101405/101405a.php

May God bless the community at Taize,
Brother Roger...eternal memory,
Bill

Fr. Deacon Lance #280024 02/25/08 02:01 AM
I
I
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
They got tossed with same canons that prohibit going to Jewish physicians, but hey maybe you can write Pope Benedict and ask him to reinstate those.

As a Greek Catholic Deacon I am sure that you are aware that Praying with Heretics and going to a Jewish physician have nearly the same relevant similarity as artificially curling hair and striking Clergy.

A Simple Sinner #280025 02/25/08 02:09 AM
I
I
Originally Posted by A Simple Sinner
Originally Posted by InCogNeat3's
What about the Canons that PROHIBIT praying with Heretics?

What about the canons that:

demand bishops hold a synod every 6 months?
forbid clergy from serving in the military? (Chaplains??)
forbid over-frequent bathing?
forbid more than one bishop in a city?

Careful what judgement you invite when you start to demand things be measured by ancient canons.

I take it you claim that bathing frequently or infrequently and is the same as praying with heretics or not praying with heretics. I don't see how anything could be further from the Truth.

For those that care what the Orthodox Fathers teach:

Canon XXXIII of Laodicia
"One must not join in prayer with heretics or schismatics."

Canon LXV of the Holy Apostles:
"If any clergymen, or laymen, enter a synagogue of Jews, or of heretics, to pray, let him be both deposed and excommunicated."

For those that care what Post Great Schism Popes say:

If anyone prays with heretics, he is a heretic.
St. Agatho I, SCN:XXI:635

Only Catholics can be Christians.
Pius VI, D. 1500

True Faith cannot be found outside the Church.
Pius IX, Sqi

InCogNeat3's #280026 02/25/08 02:16 AM
A
A
And who is the arbiter of what weight must be given which canons?

The comment on the bathing seemed a nice red herring while ignoring my question on the canons that:
+ demand bishops hold a synod every 6 months?
+ forbid clergy from serving in the military? (Chaplains??)

Ask your bishop for his ruling on the matter.

If you feel that these folks are in eggregious canonical error for having a community of prayer together, I will leave you to your feelings.

InCogNeat3's #280028 02/25/08 02:31 AM
E
E
InCogNeat3's thinking seems to be Protestant, except
that instead of of plucking a verse or two from Scripture, the quotes are from various non-binding sources. Laodicia, the Canons of the Holy Apostles (who were unlikely to have had anything to do with them) and Pope Agatho are all very well, but do not amount to a hill of beans since none of them are statements binding on the Church. The quote from Pope
Pius IX is irrelevant. If we are praying with people who are
validly baptized we are therefore praying with people who are
in some sense "in the Church", since they are baptized into
Chist, and are therefore part of His Body and therefore in the
Church, if in imperfect communion with it, from the Catholic
point of view. "All those who have been baptized into Christ
have put on Christ".

Edmac

A Simple Sinner #280030 02/25/08 02:46 AM
Byzantine Secret Service
Byzantine Secret Service
SS,

I might be be misreading your post, but I believe from reading press releases for years now, that most Orthodox hierarchs do meet in semi-annual synod meetings. If I misread your intent, forgiveness due the season.

Secret Squirrel #280035 02/25/08 03:28 AM
A
A
Every 6 months for their eparchy as demanded by ancient canons?

Frankly, I don't care if they don't. That isn't the point.

My point was that we can go back and cherry pick the canons we think are important if we want to bash anyone over their head by saying "You are not faithful to the ancient canons!"

A Simple Sinner #280038 02/25/08 03:47 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Dear Simple Sinner,

Yes, to the first part of your statement. The Holy Eparchial Synod of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese meets not only every six months, but has amended their meeting schedule to every four months as of their last meeting. The Eparchial Synod of the Antiochian Archdiocese meets every six months, etc. Some advertise through news releases their activities publicly and some do not. So this was probably not the best canon to illustrate your point with.

Now to the second part of your statement. I have to agree regarding "cherry picking" of canons. Some were written for certain circumstances and times, that may or may not be applicable today, due to a variety of reasons or changes with cultures and societies. Until such time as the church either revises these canons or comes out with a codification as the Western Church did nearly a century ago, this will be a constant problem that will persist with certain groups and personalities.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
Father Anthony #280045 02/25/08 04:28 AM
A
A
Father Anthony the point was entirely and utterly rhetorical and not about any one church. It was also in reference to a canon about what eparchs are supposed to do in their own Eparchy.

Some churches have no way to have a synod within their diocese/eparchy every 6 months - too poor, too persecuted, too far flung...

The point it illustrates is that "Church A" which can meet every 4-6 months is NOT to be considered "more canonical" than "Church B" which does not.

I think we are agreed on the conclusion I am attempting to draw, that firing canons pretty much could managed to indict us all.

I know at least that I have grown fond of daily bathing! (I am decadent like that...)

A Simple Sinner #280062 02/25/08 12:19 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Originally Posted by A Simple Sinner
I know at least that I have grown fond of daily bathing! (I am decadent like that...)

I think most of those around us and the public at large are most appreciative of that also. wink biggrin

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.