The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
F
F

D
Jessup B.C. Deacon
Jessup B.C. Deacon
D
http://foto.tkkbs.sk/viewer.php?album=albums/2008/02/16_POVysviacka&pn=1

Got this from my pastor. From same website, but look like different pics from those posted by Fr. Valerian. Looks like my pics are from 2/16/08, while his are from 2/17/08.

Dn Robert

Last edited by Jessup B.C. Deacon; 02/19/08 02:15 PM.
U
U
Interesting that Bp. Rusnak's epaulets at the bottom of his Mantiya are in Latin letters E P instead of Cyrillic characters.

So since Cardinal Tomko wore full Byzantine vestments, when did he recieve his bi-ritual status?

U-C

F
F
Dear Friends:

Glory to IC XC!

Here are the pictures from Kosice: http://foto.tkkbs.sk/viewer.php?album=albums%2F2008%2F02%2F18_KeEparchia&pn=1

Online Content
So since Cardinal Tomko wore full Byzantine vestments, when did he recieve his bi-ritual status?

U-C

UC:

Glory be to Jesus Christ!! Glory be to Him forever and ever!!

I don't think bishops need a grant of bi-ritual faculties. If I'm not mistaken, this has come up before and bishops may vest in the vestments of another sui juris Church when they serve. As a function of the episcopate, they may serve in any of the sui juris Churches of the Catholic Church without any further grant of faculties.

BOB

U
U
Theophan,

Is that written somewhere in the Eastern Canons?

Ung

D
Jessup B.C. Deacon
Jessup B.C. Deacon
D
The question has been raised as to the status of Mukachevo. Technically, it is a part of UGCC. I am told that the prior Bishop, Ivan (Semedi), did not want that arrangement, but Rome has insisted on it. Bishop Milan (Shashik), from what I am told, attends the UGCC Synodal Episcopal meetings. Rome reasons that Zakapartia is politically part of Ukraine, and, therefore, it's particular church is part of the UGCC. The last time I checked the UGCC website, Mukachevo was listed as part of that Church.

Dn. Robert

A
AMM Offline
A
Fr. Deacon Robert, CNEWA says this

A continuing issue for Ruthenian Catholics has been their relationship with the much larger Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church. For the first time ever, the Mukačevo diocese finds itself functioning freely in the same country with the Ukrainian Catholic Church. Although it is not officially a part of the Ukrainian church and is still immediately subject to the Holy See, its bishops have attended recent Ukrainian Greek Catholic synods. The bishop of Mukačevo has made it clear, however, that he opposes integration into the Ukrainian Catholic Church and favors the promotion of the distinct ethnic and religious identity of his Rusyn people. This identity received a boost in March 2007 when the Transcarpathian Oblast Council voted to recognize the Rusyn people as an indigenous nationality of the region. As a result, the local government will be required to provide funding to promote Rusyn language, culture, and education.

http://www.cnewa.org/ecc-bodypg-us.aspx?eccpageID=70&IndexView=toc

D
Jessup B.C. Deacon
Jessup B.C. Deacon
D
AMM,

This is something that will probably never go away. I went on to the UGCC website. In the past, they listed Mukachevo as part of the UGCC (wishful thinking?). Now, I can't find a breakout of Metroplolias and Eparchies with hierarchs, as done in the past. Maybe that's a "hot potato". I can affirm that most Rusyns don't want to be bundled in with Galicians. On the other hand, I am told that modern Ukrainian is the most commonly spoken language in Zakarpatia. Back in 1991, when Met. Stephen (Kocisko) went to visit the Uzhorod cathedral (now Greek Catholic, but then in the hands of the Moscow Patriarchate), my pastor tells me that the local TV station said that the Metroplitan spoke to the locals in "old Ukrainian". He was speaking Rusyn!

In Christ,
Dn. Robert

M
M
According to catholic-hierarchy.org, the Eparchy of Mukacevo is "immediately subject to the Holy See [catholic-hierarchy.org], whatever that means in regards to this issue. Of course, c-h.org isn't an official site, afaik.

D
Jessup B.C. Deacon
Jessup B.C. Deacon
D
Originally Posted by Mikey Stilts
According to catholic-hierarchy.org, the Eparchy of Mukacevo is "immediately subject to the Holy See [catholic-hierarchy.org], whatever that means in regards to this issue. Of course, c-h.org isn't an official site, afaik.

This is probably correct. It means that Mukachevo is immediately subject to the Congregation for Eastern Churches. This is what the Bishops of Mukachevo have preferred, as opposed to being part of UGCC. Based on what I had seen in the past on the UGCC website, I assumed the opposite to have been the case.

Dn. Robert

Father Deacon Robert,

Glory to Jesus Christ!

According to the Annuario Pontificio released by Fr. Ron Roberson, the �Eparchy of Mukacevo, Ukraine� is listed as part of the Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Church.

It is not listed as part of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church.

This listing is consistent for 2007, 2006 & 2005.

Deacon El

D
Jessup B.C. Deacon
Jessup B.C. Deacon
D
Originally Posted by Deacon El
Father Deacon Robert,

Glory to Jesus Christ!

According to the Annuario Pontificio released by Fr. Ron Roberson, the �Eparchy of Mukacevo, Ukraine� is listed as part of the Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Church.

It is not listed as part of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church.

This listing is consistent for 2007, 2006 & 2005.

Deacon El

Deacon El,

I am now aware of that. However, about a year or two ago, I recall that the UGCC website had listed Mukachevo as part of its Church (or at least that's how I interpreted what they had posted). That's why I assumed that to be the case.

Dn. Robert

U
U
..still would like a canonical ruling on this question.

Ung

Ung,

What is the question you want answered that seesm to have gotten buried?

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.