Print Thread
C
CJ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Reaffirms necessity of 'Choice' for "mistakes" his daughters might make

March 31, 2008
David Brody - The Brody File

CBN.com - A lot has been made (by both sides) in this Democratic primary race that "words matter". Well, The Brody File brings you this:
At a town hall meeting in Johnstown, Pennsylvania on Saturday afternoon, Barack Obama told the crowd that he didn't want his daughters, "punished with a baby".

"When it comes specifically to HIV/AIDS, the most important prevention is education, which should include -- which should include abstinence education and teaching the children -- teaching children, you know, that sex is not something casual. But it should also include -- it should also include other, you know, information about contraception because, look, I've got two daughters. 9 years old and 6 years old. I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby. I don't want them punished with an STD at the age of 16. You know, so it doesn't make sense to not give them information."

I understand Obama was talking off the cuff and these were not prepared remarks. I also know that when you're on the campaign trail 20 hours a day you will say something you wish you hadn't. But still. "Punished with a baby?" That just doesn't sound right. Why use the word punished? I would think that word would be alarming to people and possibly offensive to those who have had babies out of wedlock.

F
F
I have myself had the quite disagreeable experience of meeting people - including clergy - who seem to think that a baby is divine punishment for misconduct! So I can understand where Obama might have picked up such an expression.

Fr. Serge

Another language use as well which is less blunt is "falling pregnant." People fall ill. When I read "falling pregnant" I get the sense that some believe pregnancy is a disease as though it could be cured with abortion.

"Punished" could line up with a person's personal theology. It could also be a scare tactic some parents use to keep their children chaste. I don't want a big debate over this, but I could understand how he would say this immediately after speaking of "safe sex" and sex education. A young girl would then be seen to be punished from ignorance and for her irresponsibility of not using contraception.

Terry

Z
Z
I feel that both of you aremistaken. I have had numeorus talks with Pro-Abortion advocates, and the language they use is Quiet dilibnerate.

In there thinking, one must allow the CHoice of Abortion to allow the wo,an freedom to live as she pleases and to choose when to becomea parent.

THey also claim an unwanted pregnancy is a problem whose solution is abortion.

They woudl then argue that if we deny a woman the right to Aboertion, we are thus inflicing a punoishment upon her for sexual activity.

To them, it is all abou the womans "Freedom of choice", and htey'd argue that if the woman did not choose the baby but is forced ot give birth to the baby she is being punished for the other choices she made,namely to have sex.

They also view any sort of traditional morality as contrtaint, not as protection.

When Obama said "Punished with a baby" he was simply sayign what the Pro-Abortion lobby has said for years and it is a reflection of their views and values.

I was harldy shocked and didn't need to speculat eon what he meant.

What is striking is that he is speaking of his own daughters. If he were speaking of our daughters then I would not be so shocked. Since he was speaking of his own daughters then I believe it's fair to assume that there are influences closer to him than the abortion lobby which may explain his choice of words.

Terry

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2022 (Forum 1998-2022). All rights reserved.