The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 383 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#285525 04/07/08 08:54 AM
F
OP Offline
F
Hello all,
I have asked for someone to give a the Philokalia for my birthday. There are many editions, could anybody recommend a good one for me?
Thank you so much!
Filipe

Filipe YTOL #285579 04/07/08 07:11 PM
M
M
The edition most common in the UK and here in Australia is the one produced by Faber & Faber (by G.E.H. Palmer [Translator], Philip Sherrard [Translator], Kallistos Ware [Translator]).

Four of the proposed five volumes are in print.

I think Bishop Kallistos is the only one of the original translating team still around, so I'm not sure whether the fifth volume will ever appear.

I am unaware of any Portuguese translations.

Matta #285581 04/07/08 07:20 PM
G
G
I have four and one, both of them are great. I'd say go for all four! They are all great books.

GMmcnabb #285611 04/08/08 01:43 AM
I am told that the fifth volume is still in the works, obviously by a few different translators. I don't remember off the top of my head who it was, though.

And yes, if you're talking about a Philokalia in English, the Faber and Faber one is as far as I know the only one that exists.

MarkosC #285628 04/08/08 05:04 AM
P
P
Start with Volume I: On Watchfulness and Holiness.

Don't read "through" it. Read it. Study it. Then do what is says for several months. THEN dig into the rest, piece by piece.

I know that sounds harsh, but it is worthwhile.

If you do this, the rest of the Philokalia will make much more sense to you.

Prester John #285862 04/09/08 05:36 PM
I, too, have the four-volume set from Faber & Faber, plus a really wonderful index that I purchased from Light & Life (sorry I can't get to the book to post the details; just mopped and the book is on the other end of the wet floor, but if you go to Light & Life's website and search for "Philokalia index" you'll get it).

sieglinde #285890 04/09/08 11:31 PM
Hi, Filipe!

Once I sent you a pm, but you haven't answered.

L
L
I was just thinking of looking for a good edition.... thanks for this reference. I went on Amazon two days ago and got Vol 2 "like new" used copy for $3.80+ shipping. Vol 1 used was more like $9. that day. Today I looked again and there was a seller with a "like new" used copy of Vol 1 for $2.60+ shipping. Will continue to check in for the other volumes used at a good price.

MarkosC #319617 04/22/09 02:35 AM
F
F
Originally Posted by MarkosC
I am told that the fifth volume is still in the works, obviously by a few different translators. I don't remember off the top of my head who it was, though.

And yes, if you're talking about a Philokalia in English, the Faber and Faber one is as far as I know the only one that exists.
There is actually a new translation of the first part of the first volume of the Philokalia by Dr Constantine Cavarnos and published by the Institute for Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies.

Institute for Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies [orthodoxinfo.com]

THE PHILOKALIA

Compiled by St. Macarios of Corinth and edited by St. Nicodemos the Hagiorite

Writings of Holy Mystic Fathers in which is Explained how the Mind is Purified, Illumined, and Perfected through Practical and Contemplative Ethical Philosophy. Translated from the original Greek and edited by Constantine Cavarnos. 2008. 340 pp. Cloth.

ISBN 1-884729-79-7 $30.00

I have the four existing volumes of the Faber & Faber Philokalia, as well as Dr Cavarnos' one volume. I guess Dr Cavarnos felt strongly enough that he could improve upon the existing translation that he decided to publish his own. He has definately made some different editorial decisions than did Metropolitan Kallistos et al.

Fr David Straut

The Philokalia referred to in the Way of the Pilgrim was actually the single-volume condensed work of St. Paissius Velychkovsky. It was later also produced in several other editions including that of St. Ignaty Brianchaninov and later also by St. Theophan the Recluse.

The closest thing in English to this single-volume is printed by Faber as Writings from the Philokalia on Prayer of the Heart. It alone is a gem, and if you want to explore what the Pilgrim likely had to read on his journeys, this is the likely the best sample currently in English.

This work inspired Kadlubokvsy and Palmer in the 1950s to do the later multi-volume translation of the Philokalia, involving Sherrard and Ware focusing on translation of the Greek texts of St. Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain.

Filipe YTOL #375505 02/10/12 01:58 AM
S
S
I was on the Barnes and Noble NOOK and a book recommendation was for the Philokalia for 99 cents. I just loaded it on my nook it it 1317 pages It says compiled by St. Nikodimos and St. Makarios. Publisher Philo books.

Filipe YTOL #375512 02/10/12 03:53 AM
It's also available for the Amazon Kindle for only 99 cents!
What a bargain!

Filipe YTOL #375600 02/12/12 02:01 AM
OKt, I am giving away my favorite online bookstore. Great people and prices.

Trying this again.

I will get the download for Lent! Thanks for the tip

Trying again. http://www.alibris.com/. They have a good many of them.

Filipe YTOL #375611 02/12/12 08:12 AM
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Rose,

As someone who has yet to embrace the kindle, the nook, etc (I still very much prefer the feel of paper between my fingers), I'll second your comment. Alibris and AbeBooks are incredible sources for books and the first places that I search, bringing together all manner of small and large bookdealers whose diverse wares would otherwise be only available to those lucky enough to stumble through their doors.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
I hear you Neil, me too. But, I spend a lot of time in doctors offices, so it is easier to sit and read. I get frustrated, because even holding a magazine for too long sends me into spasm, and the phone is not as hard to hold. Th iPad I can pile on top of something and just have to support it. So, I think the PhIlokalia will be my first download of a book, so I can use it to read instead of wasting time. I don't like all the light though, I guess I can't have it all.

If anyone is looking for a good deal on a tablet, go to AT&T. Yesterday, I bought my dad their Element, which came with their smart phone called Burst, for $249.00. It is very light weight, an Andriod, I was surprised by it's ease of use. He is 86, and wants to get on the internet, and be able to use face time. Face time comes through a download though. It is water proof. It is an eight inch tablet, which fits in the bag he carries around. I was able to get the tablet with their 4G for both the tablet and phone, for less than what he was paying for his cell phone. Over all, a very good deal!

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.