The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 343 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#287179 04/23/08 05:26 PM
D
OP Offline
D
http://212.77.1.245/news_services/press/vis/dinamiche/d1_en.htm

Holy Father appointed Msgr. Dimitrios Salachas of the clergy of the apostolic exarchate for Greek Catholics of Byzantine Rite, Greece, as apostolic exarch of the same exarchate (Catholics 2,300, priests 10, religious 14). The bishop-elect was born in Athens, Greece in 1939 and ordained a priest in 1964. He succeeds Bishop Anarghyros Printesis, whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same exarchate the Holy Father accepted, in accordance with canon 210 para. 1 of the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches.

God grant him Many years

F
F
On the one hand, I'm agreeably surprised that the Pope appointed a new bishop for the Athens Exarchate without a struggle - the last time it was incredible, even though we did, thank God, succeed in obtaining the appointment.

On the other hand, the Bishop-Designate was born in 1939. How "Many Years" can he have before the 75-year cut-off date (which is selectively enforced) and we shall have another crisis?

Fr. Serge

Is this the same Dimitri Salachas who is listed as an adjunct professor at the Pontifical Oriental Institute?

F
F
Is polla eti despota!

F
F
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
On the other hand, the Bishop-Designate was born in 1939. How "Many Years" can he have before the 75-year cut-off date (which is selectively enforced) and we shall have another crisis?

Fr. Serge
Fr Serge, as usual, you crack me up. (To use a picturesque American expression, which may not translate very well into Irish parlance.)

Fr David Straut

D
OP Offline
D
Dear Father Deacon,

Yes, you are right, new bishop for Greece is a member of the Faculty of Eastern Canon Law of the pontifical Oriental Institute.

Daniel

F
F
Dear Father David,

Thanks for the compliment! I can cope with American English fairly well ("Valley Girl Slang" is another matter).

God grant you a blessed finish to Holy Week, and a most glorious Pascha.

fraternally yours in Christ,

Fr. Serge

Originally Posted by Fr David Straut

Fr. Serge
Fr Serge, as usual, you crack me up. (To use a picturesque American expression, which may not translate very well into Irish parlance.)

Fr David Straut

I think that Father Serge will get it--he is a New Yorker by birth, so, as a fellow New Yorker, I can vouch for him understanding it!

I have heard him use, on occasion, expressions which I have only heard my mother (another born and bred New Yorker) use. smile

Regards,
Alice

P.S. I agree with you--this was VERY funny!

Eis polla eti, Despota!

Ad miltos annos to the new exarch of Greece.
Stephanos I

Christos anesti!
Eis polla eti!
I know personally the elected bishop (two years ago we celebrated Easter toguether) and I consider that his helth is very good for the moment, so I hope that he will, with the help of God, serve our Exarchy in Greece for many years. Many in the Greek Exarchy thought that Sevasmiotatos Anargyros would be the last Byzantine-rite bishop in Greece, but fortunately Pope Benedict XVI considers precious the presence in Greece of a Christian community in communion with the Holy Roman See that want to live their faith as Greek-Romioi and not as Fancolevantine-Latins. Congratulations one more time to our Holy Father.

F
F
It seems that the cheirotonia of the new Bishop-Elect is set for the weekend of the 25th of this month. Wish I could be there, but it's out of the question, alas.

Dear Alice,

I'm looking forward to a good schmooz in authentic New Yorkese with you! [The Yiddish element in authentic New Yorkese is quite strong.]

Fr. Serge

Dear Alice,

I'm looking forward to a good schmooz in authentic New Yorkese with you! [The Yiddish element in authentic New Yorkese is quite strong.]

Fr. Serge

...Indeed! One cannot be a true New Yorker if one does not know how to express oneself at certain times in Yiddish words which have no other substitutes that fit the bill quite the same way!

Alice, who was schlepping all over town today, and is happy to finally have a moment to relax! wink

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Eis polla aeti, Despota

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
Eis polla aeti, Despota

Or, as my Jewish friends might wish him in Yiddish - 'may he live to celebrate Tishubob' - a legendary Jewish Holyday once explained to me by a Rebe friend of blessed memory as incapable of precise rendering into English (or any other tongue), but best - and roughly - described as expected to occur on "the day after Never, the day before Forever"

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.