The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
Do we have an idea? After the Holy Father allowed to have the Latin Mass celebrated I heard the LeFebvrian were returning, but do we know how many? or have they?

I know of at least one (legitimately ordained) priest who ran his own "storefront" traditionalist parish who's come back to his local diocese. I believe he has or is trying to bring the rest of his congregation.

The actions of the local bishop were essential to bring these people back. Many years to them!

Last edited by MarkosC; 05/20/08 07:31 AM.
Well, that will happen on an individual basis. However, the Superior General of the SSPX has ruled out any form of reunion with Rome.

An action which should really tell us something.
Stephanos I

E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
COATLAXOPEUH,

I have heard that the traditionalist priests and faithful of the diocese of Campos in Brazil, who were associated with the SSPX, are now officially reconciled with Rome.

I have also heard that the SSPX themselves are now much more conciliatory towards Rome than previously. However, there are a number of issues that remain, especially since the position of the SSPX involves more than just the liturgy.

I think they also want Rome to renew the condemnations of both ecumenism and "Americanism." Possibly some other things as well.

Peace,
Deacon Richard

E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Having made a number of unsubstantiated statements in my previous post, I decided to do a little research. The traditionalists of Campos were indeed reconciled with Rome, however, this took place on January 18, 2002, so it could not be attributed to recent actions by Pope Benedict XVI.

In an article dated February 2003, Bishop Bernard Fellay, the General Superior of the SSPX, laments this reconciliation, and contends that Bishop Rifan and his followers have "given up the fight." (Full article HERE [dailycatholic.org])

As I suspected, ecumenism is a big part of SSPX's reason for holding out against Rome. In the article, Bishop Fellay says,
... it is clear that the principle governing today's Rome is still to put the Council into practice as has been done for the last 40 years. Neither official documents nor general policy show any fundamental re-thinking of this principle, on the contrary, we are always being told that what the Council set in motion is irreversible, which leads us to ask why there has been a change of attitude with regard to ourselves. Various explanations are possible, but it is primarily because of the pluralist and ecumenical vision of things now prevailing in the Catholic world. According to this vision, everybody is to mix together without anybody needing any longer to convert, as Cardinal Kasper said in connection with the Orthodox and even the Jews.
Naturally, in this view the Orthodox are no more a part of the True Church than the Jews. cry

Peace,
Deacon Richard

Orthodox Christian
Orthodox Christian
Yes, ecumenism is still a major concern. Recently about two months ago, I did contact the SSPX by email and they told me that basic problems have not been addressed: Vatican II is one of the biggest hurdles.

If you want to contact them by email, they will answer sincere inquiries.

Last edited by Elizabeth Maria; 05/20/08 05:34 PM.
D
Orthodox domilsean
Orthodox domilsean
D
This is interesting as I seem to have had several discussions lately with Old Calendarist Orthodox, and of course it was all Ecumenism. It prompted me to learn up on what exactly "Ecumenism" is.

Interesting that SSPX and Old Calendarists are united on this front... but of course, they both reject not only each other, but also the modern versions of their respective Churches.

Schism is easy, it seems, especially when the WHOLE CHURCH is in error, but Bishop X and his loyal flock of 134 are the last members of the True Church.

I am far too sarcastic for an average Tuesday.

Orthodox Christian
Orthodox Christian
Oh, yes, the faithful remnant theory.

However, here in Southern California there are intermarriages between HOCNA members and SSPX members. I cannot fathom that, but it is happening. The couples struggle about the marriage ceremony and how to raise their children as both groups are very strict. A few family members visit each other churches for major feast days.

Last edited by Elizabeth Maria; 05/20/08 06:10 PM.
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Maria
However, here in Southern California there are intermarriages between HOCNA members and SSPX members. I cannot fathom that, but it is happening.

What a fundamentalist nightmare!!! crazy

Each spouse should be anathematized for allowing themselves to have socialized and fallen in love with 'heretics' shocked ('heretic' ofcourse being subjective depending on what side of the 'truer than true' church membership one comes from) laugh !!!

Alice, just adding a little good natured teasing wink

May God bless all followers of Christ-- fundamentalist, truer than true, liberal, or otherwise....for we are all His fallen Children, not one more or less beloved than the other.

Byzantine Secret Service
Byzantine Secret Service
Originally Posted by Alice

Each spouse should be anathematized for allowing themselves to have socialized and fallen in love with 'heretics' shocked ('heretic' ofcourse being subjective depending on what side of the 'truer than true' church membership one comes from) laugh !!!

May God bless all followers of Christ-- fundamentalist, truer than true, liberal, or otherwise....for we are all His fallen Children, not one more or less beloved than the other.

Knowing the beliefs and venom of both groups, I could imagine the vows for such marriages. �Do you anathematize N. in health and schism despite their heretical ways so long as you both will live?� wink biggrin

An invisible member cool

Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel
Originally Posted by Alice

Knowing the beliefs and venom of both groups, I could imagine the vows for such marriages. �Do you anathematize N. in health and schism despite their heretical ways so long as you both will live?� wink biggrin

An invisible member cool

LOL! biggrin

Thanks for the laugh....

I always said that I liked squirrels! smile

Regards,
Alice

Orthodox Christian
Orthodox Christian
Yes, sometimes reality is stranger than fiction.

I fell in love with an unbaptized protestant. It was because he was open to God and to His Holy Church that we continued our relationship and our love blossomed along with our faith. Thankfully, he was baptized about a month before our marriage.

May I ask what HOCNA means?

Thanks!

God bless and keep you....

Holy Orthodox Church of North America. Spelled VAGANTE!

Alexandr

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.