The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
U
U
Please schedule it sometime time after July 1st, as I may being traveling to Staryj Kraju in June. Matt, Theophan, will it be in Blair County? I haven't been "up there" for several years since my college days at Penn State-Altoona. Is the small Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church still open in Altoona? I'll make sure I'm visiting Windber that weekend.

Ung

B
B
Kielbasa is polish , Kowbasa/kubasa / is ukrainian /rusyn/
ukrainian kowbasa taste me better then polish kielbasa

Is the small Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church still open in Altoona?

Can't tell you for sure. Until recently they had Liturgy on Saturday evenings because the priest lived in Barnesboro, now Northern Cambria and the drive is about 40+ miles one way.

Might have to be in August at this point due to the park's calendar.

BOB

Last edited by theophan; 05/27/08 11:56 AM.
U
U
I used to go to both churches when Father Gutherie was pastor. St. Mary Church (Altoona) had a Saturday evening liturgy, while Barnesboro had their liturgy on Sunday morning. I hear that Fr. Paul is still serving parishes in Eastern PA. I need to visit him sometime, he's a awesome priest!

Ung

D
Orthodox domilsean
Orthodox domilsean
D
I have a dickens of a time trying to cook Kiska. it always falls apart. Any suggestions?

Oh, and depending on the date, you can count me in (unless the date is one on which I can't attend). I owe Pyrohy big time.

Christ is Risen!! Indeed He is Risen!!

Well, I just heard that Chobany's Market in Portage is no more but there is another, Porinchak's Market, that does a great job with kielbassa and sausage.

BOB

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
OP Offline
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
Originally Posted by domilsean
I have a dickens of a time trying to cook Kiska. it always falls apart. Any suggestions?

Oh, and depending on the date, you can count me in (unless the date is one on which I can't attend). I owe Pyrohy big time.

Your attendance at this event will be mandatory. Only doctor's excuses and or absence for research in debunking the Kielbasa Code will be accepted.

D
Orthodox domilsean
Orthodox domilsean
D
I've heard tell of a butcher shop so renowned, it has been enshrined in song -- Christmas song, no less.

The location of this particular shrine to tubular meat has been described as "north of the mountain". And I've also heard that when ordering sliced meats, one's options are limited to "tick" and "tin".

So, I was prompted to do a bit of research, and discovered that this shop is not only famous for it's kielbasa, but OWNS the kielbasa URL:

http://www.kielbasy.net/

Kowalonek's Kielbasy Shop of Shenandoah, PA. I believe, my friends, that Kowalonek's is the Rosslyn Chapel of the kielbasa world.

NB: You can hear the songs on the website, too!

Oh wow... they even have KIELBASY DIP!

I can't look at their website any more or I'm afraid I'll be smitten with the call of the Kielbasa Code and quit my job, forsake my family, and immediately drive to Shenandoah 462 and spend all of my money on pork.

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
OP Offline
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
Domilsean,

Shenandoah and Centraila are pretty close. I wonder if the ongoing mine fire in Centrailia has something to do with the Kielbasa Code and the close proximity to the Kowalonek's shop?
I think we are getting close.
Pick me up on the way, we'll jet down 322 to 81 north. We've got pork to buy and codes to crack.

D
D
Originally Posted by theophan
What I meant was that it seemed that most wanted to cook indoors and not over charcoal.

yeah, but I couldn't resist smile

If this was *much* further west, I really would bring beer or wine. Or if it was still 3 or 4 years ago, when I was in DuBois . . .

hawk

U
U
Originally Posted by theophan
Christ is Risen!! Indeed He is Risen!!

Well, I just heard that Chobany's Market in Portage is no more but there is another, Porinchak's Market, that does a great job with kielbassa and sausage.

BOB

Wasn't there a Meat Market in Altoona called "Nizhnik's" or something with an "N" that made great Kolbassi??

Ung??

D
Jessup B.C. Deacon
Jessup B.C. Deacon
D
Originally Posted by Slavipodvizhnik
Actually, since Carpatho Russia, Ukraine and Poland all belong to Russia, kielbasa is actually Russian!

Alexandr, ducking for cover!!!

I don't remember ever seeing a real Russian eating kielbasa. On the other hand, real Russians are rare in NE Pa.

Dn. Robert laugh

D
Jessup B.C. Deacon
Jessup B.C. Deacon
D
Originally Posted by Ung-Certez
[quote=Orthodox Pyrohy]I forget the Hungarian name, etc.)

The Hungarian name is "kolbasz"! biggrin

Wasn't there a Meat Market in Altoona called "Nizhnik's" or something with an "N" that made great Kolbassi??

Ung??

Can't tell you. I'm transplanted here.

BOB

OP:

Have you and domilsean thought about simply having some of this treat from Shenandoah sent to you packed in dry ice? With the price of gasoline, it might make more sense than to take a trip to NE PA.

BOB

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.