The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
walterm Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I hope this is the right place for this question. How do the two churches (RC and EOC) handle a situation if one spouse wishes to remain Roman Catholic but the othere feels led into the EOC??

Thanks for any replies.

Walter

H
H
Canonically, as far as I know, if 1 spouse transfers into an Eastern Catholic Church, this of itself, does not change the church membership of the other spouse, who might remain a member of the Latin church.

It may however affect the membership of the children, who would, in default of other factors, generally be members of the father's church.

It may however affect the membership of the children, who would, in default of other factors, generally be members of the father's church.

Better check this one with knowledgeable priest. Somewhere I read recently that in the case of spouses where they both start out as Latin there is some obstacle to the man translating to another sui juris Church unless his spouse agrees. And this might negate the rule about the children being of the sui juris Church of the father.

BOB

The original post says one spouse is Roman Catholic and the other is called to the Eastern Orthodox Church (EOC)--not Eastern Catholic Church.

O
O
That's the way I read it too smile

And I suspect the answer is still talk to a priest

Orthodox Christian
Orthodox Christian
Originally Posted by walterm
I hope this is the right place for this question. How do the two churches (RC and EOC) handle a situation if one spouse wishes to remain Roman Catholic but the other feels led into the EOC??

Thanks for any replies.

Walter

Very delicately.

This happened to me. I wanted to convert to Orthodoxy from the Roman Catholic Church along with my son who was a minor at that time, but I could not do so until my husband agreed to convert to Orthodoxy along with us. The Orthodox Priest did not want to be a stumbling block for our marriage, which was given first priority. In the mean time, the Orthodox Priest encouraged us to continue attending Divine Liturgy at the Byzantine Catholic Church. He told us to pay attention to the sermon too. It helped that he was friends with the pastor.

My husband talked with the Orthodox Priest at length, and then decided to become a catechumen along with us in one ceremony. We were all chrismated together into the Orthodox Church with my husband being the first one to be anointed with Holy Chrism.

Last edited by Elizabeth Maria; 05/30/08 07:37 PM.
RECLUSE:

Christ is Risen!! Indeed He is Risen!!

You're right. I read the original and then the second post and made my reply based on confusing the two.

I'd still say this one is a delicate one since you might end with two parents fighting over a minor child.

BOB

W
walterm Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I appreciate everyone's response. This is a very difficult decision for us. After taking this to prayer, there still does not seem to be a "clear" answer for us. God Bless you all for your responses.

Walter

Orthodox Christian
Orthodox Christian
Dear Walterm,

The issue was not clear for us for about two years. We struggled and prayed all during that time. For a time, it looked like we were going to stay Catholic. Then at other times, things looked very bleak, but our faith in God and repentance were rewarded in the end as we came to love the Holy Orthodox Church more each day.

I will pray for you.

In the Risen Christ,
Elizabeth

Last edited by Elizabeth Maria; 05/31/08 01:16 AM.
WALTER:

Chrsit is Risen!! Indeed He is Risen!!

Often when we take thins to prayer the answer does not come for a long period of time. Often one needs to continue to ask for something for a long period of time so that one receives his answer because of his focus and committed determination. And it may not be the asnwer one wishes. Another answer might be the lack of a granting of what one so earnestly prays for. Have had all these answers at one time or another. Have even had the experience, "Please don't pray that prayer again," just before beginning a prayer I'd been praying for some time.

BOB

T
T
Remember that St. Monica pestered all the Priests and Bishops she met for 17 years, to ask them to pray for her son, who followed in his pagan father's footsteps.

Her prayers were answered when her son, Augustine, encountered St. Ambrose.

A
A
I had a Catholic parent and an Orthodox parent. It was awesome. Very spiritually and culturally fulfilling as a child. Wouldn't have had it any other way.

Originally Posted by Annie_SFO
I had a Catholic parent and an Orthodox parent. It was awesome. Very spiritually and culturally fulfilling as a child. Wouldn't have had it any other way.

Dear Annie,

I think that it would be awesome if you could share some memories of growing up with the two traditions! smile

Regards,
Alice

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.