The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#292166 06/18/08 01:42 PM
OP Offline
"Today
9:30am - 11:00am, EWTN (261)
49th Annual Eucharistic Congress: Celebration of the Eucharist in the Byzantine Rite

A Byzantine Rite Mass is celebrated."

Will be rebroadcast later.

They are beginning right now.

C
C
What a lovely liturgy!

Mercifully, the voice-overs have stopped! smile

Dave

F
F
This is indeed an enjoyable Liturgy - I'll do some criticisms later, no doubt. For now, kudos to Metropolitan Lawrence for a good sermon which follows the adage that the preacher should leave the assembly wanting to hear more! For those who may not have recognized him, the priest directing the Ukrainian chanters is Mitred Archpriest Roman Galadza, of Saint Elias Church, Brampton, Ontario. His wife, Presbytera Irene, is visible among the singers.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention - I managed to tune in just in time for the Great Synapte.

Fr. Serge

L
L
Wonderful!!!

Was Met. Basil Schlot present?

That was beautiful!! I do have one question that has been bothering me since I watched the NO last night and I noticed the same thing today-

Why were there what looked like teenage (young adult) girls dressed up in robes processing in and out among/with the bishops? The robes were very similar to what the Bishops were wearing. What would the purpose of that be? I noticed as everyone was processing out of Divine Liturgy the girls were there again. I've been trying to figure out their purpose since last night. confused

The music was lovely!

I don't know about the young ladies, I just wanted to comment about the music. The lack of musical instruments (I know they are verboten in the Eastern Rites!) was excellent! I love the continuity between the invocations of the Deacon and the responses of the choir/congregation, even the overlapping aspect, it's beautiful and completely precluded when "Lead-foot" on the organ has to "key up" everything. shocked

Michael

A
A
Originally Posted by AndreaW
That was beautiful!! I do have one question that has been bothering me since I watched the NO last night and I noticed the same thing today-

Why were there what looked like teenage (young adult) girls dressed up in robes processing in and out among/with the bishops? The robes were very similar to what the Bishops were wearing. What would the purpose of that be? I noticed as everyone was processing out of Divine Liturgy the girls were there again. I've been trying to figure out their purpose since last night. confused

The music was lovely!

THose were the female altar servers who were accompanying the Latin bishops. Seems there are a lot more female than male altar servers in this event, I hope I'm wrong, though.

As for their robes...well, do you now understand why they are sometimes called "stealth priestesses" by conservative Roman Catholics?

A
A
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
This is indeed an enjoyable Liturgy - I'll do some criticisms later, no doubt. For now, kudos to Metropolitan Lawrence for a good sermon which follows the adage that the preacher should leave the assembly wanting to hear more! For those who may not have recognized him, the priest directing the Ukrainian chanters is Mitred Archpriest Roman Galadza, of Saint Elias Church, Brampton, Ontario. His wife, Presbytera Irene, is visible among the singers.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention - I managed to tune in just in time for the Great Synapte.

Fr. Serge

It was wonderful! I hope that EWTN will broadcast it once more. And nice "full" great omophorion that Metropolitan Lawrence had!

The stark contrast between the vestments and behavior of the Ukrainian and Melkite bishops on one one hand, and the Latin bishops and cardinals on the other, was just too painful for this Roman Catholic. I was especially surprised when the Latin clergy began clapping at the end of the liturgy. Apparently, very few have read the Pope's admonitions against clapping in the liturgy.

I did notice that it was quite short for a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy (just under 2 hours, counting the long processions in and out of the sanctuary, the long communion and the repetition of certain elements of the liturgy in different languages) but I guess it was due to the relatively fast singing, and perhaps the hierarchs were also mindful of who were attending the event -- a crowd of mostly-young Latins who probably wouldn't tolerate a 3-hour liturgy.

Originally Posted by asianpilgrim
THose were the female altar servers who were accompanying the Latin bishops. Seems there are a lot more female than male altar servers in this event, I hope I'm wrong, though.

As for their robes...well, do you now understand why they are sometimes called "stealth priestesses" by conservative Roman Catholics?

Thanks for the response.

I didn't realize that the female altar servers would wear the same robe (or very similar) as the Bishop. And I thought servers would have come in first, not among the Bishops. I didn't see them serve the Mass at all last night so I was wondering if that's what they were.

My husband called them stealth priestesses too. It certainly looked confusing, and I was wondering if there was a legitimate reason for it.

Originally Posted by asianpilgrim
The stark contrast between the vestments and behavior of the Ukrainian and Melkite bishops on one one hand, and the Latin bishops and cardinals on the other, was just too painful for this Roman Catholic. I was especially surprised when the Latin clergy began clapping at the end of the liturgy. Apparently, very few have read the Pope's admonitions against clapping in the liturgy.

I totally agree.

Whaassaat? "Those were the female altar servers who were accompanying the Latin bishops"?

Since when do bishops have accompanists? Are you serious or kidding?

OP Offline
I'm glad EWTN put it on. My only complaint is the multilingual component they felt obliged to do. It made the liturgy feel more like a presentation than what it truly is. Did they need to put in 12+ languages to show the co-universality of the Eastern Churches? Maybe I value familiarity too much, but it made "participation" difficult.

Anyone record it by chance? His Eminence Metropolitan +Lawrence is indeed an engaging preacher - and of course any chance to hear Archpriest Roman leading the kliros is a joy.

L
L
I'm TIVOing it at midnight, since I was away at college and therefore couldn't see/couldn't record it this morning until I got home.

Oh, I'm also TIVOing Gate of Heaven which starts at 10 PM, in which Arcbishop Burke of St. Louis (at that time, I think he was simply Bishop Burke of La Crosse) consecrates an oratory according to the Traditional Roman Rite (well..."Form," maybe).

Alexis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.