The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J

Byzantine Liturgy: Unity in Diversity
6/19/2008
Zenit News Agency (www.zenit.org [zenit.org])

"Indeed, in this celebration of the Divine Liturgy we experience the great diversity that constitutes the People of God."

QUEBEC CITY (Zenit) - Even the celebration of Mass is at times made into a point of division, the Byzantine-rite archbishop of Winnipeg lamented during his homily at the International Eucharistic Congress.

Archbishop Lawrence Huculak of Winnipeg for Ukrainian Catholics gave the homily at the celebration of the Divine Liturgy today in Quebec. The Eucharistic Congress is under way in Canada through Sunday.

"From the many priests, deacons and laity here today, we have heard prayers chanted in Greek, Arabic, Ukrainian, Spanish, French and English," Archbishop Huculak noted. "Later we shall hear them chanted in Slovak, Hungarian, and Romanian as well -- just some of the languages in which this ancient Divine Liturgy is celebrated throughout the world.

"Indeed, in this celebration of the Divine Liturgy we experience the great diversity that constitutes the People of God. But, as we heard in the Letter to the Ephesians, we are united in one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of us all."

The Byzantine rite is the liturgical tradition for almost 10 million Catholics in the world. Catholics of this rite have been present in Canada since the 1890s. The Byzantine rite as practiced by the Ukrainian Catholic Church was chosen to represent the Eastern Churches in communion with Rome at the 49th International Eucharistic Congress because it has the greatest number of adherents in Canada.

Archbishop Huculak continued: "In the reading from the holy Gospel we heard Jesus speak of the unity he has with his heavenly Father when he says: 'That they may all be one, even as you, Father, are in me, and I in you.' This unity with our loving God is fundamental to our spiritual identity. It was the purpose for our creation, and it remains the goal of our existence.

"Unfortunately, the diversity we experience in this holy gathering this morning has not always been used for the building up of the one Body of Christ. At times, we, and those before us have used these various points of diversity as reasons to treat our brothers and sisters unfairly, to denigrate, to shame. Even the very celebration of the holy Eucharist has at times been made a point of division, rather than a time to behold the glory of the Lord Jesus, of which we heard in today's Gospel reading."

The archbishop reflected that during the liturgy, the participants would be "able to pray in the most powerful way for unity in the one Spirit, the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of the undivided Trinity."

"For some of you," he continued, "the celebration of this ancient Byzantine Divine Liturgy will be new and unfamiliar, being used to the Eucharistic liturgy according to the Roman liturgical tradition. For those of us belonging to the various Byzantine Churches, today's liturgy may not reflect the beauty and glory we are able to experience when celebrating in our own churches with the icons, music and language with which we are more familiar.

"But from our diversity we come together in a sacred unity through the invitation of Jesus Christ who calls us to receive the one Eucharistic Bread."

The Byzantine-rite archbishop expressed his prayer that "this celebration will be another example of the power of the holy Eucharist and how it can change our lives."

"The holy Eucharist calls us to continued conversion, sanctification and unity in the most holy Trinity," he said. "It is our sincere prayer that by our participation today we will be brought to the spiritual unity of which we hear in the concluding doxology of the anaphora, or Eucharistic canon: 'And grant that with one voice and one heart we may glorify and sing the praises of your most honored and magnificent name, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, now and for ever and ever.'"

For the original story please see:

http://www.catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=28270

I.F.

F
F
Actually the number of Greek-Catholics in the world is about 12 million.

Fr. Serge

F
F
So Dublin is the venue for the next Eucharistic Congress in four years' time. Plan now to come!

Fr Serge

A
A
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher

Fr. Serge

Dear Fr. Serge, do you have the source for that?

The Annuario Pontificio for 2007 puts it at 7.6 million, a figure that I happen to think is suspiciously low. (Sometimes I wonder if those figures are deliberately low...)

F
F
As has been said so often, there are lies, damn lies, statistics, and ecclesiastical statistics!

Fr. Serge

So Dublin is the venue for the next Eucharistic Congress in four years' time. Plan now to come!

Fr Serge

Shlomo Abun Serge,

I promise to be there. I look forward to metting you.

Poosh BaShlomo,
Yuhannon

F
F
And I look forward to welcoming you. Thanks!

Abuna Sarkis

A
A
Originally Posted by asianpilgrim

Fr. Serge

The Annuario Pontificio for 2007 puts it at 7.6 million, a figure that I happen to think is suspiciously low. (Sometimes I wonder if those figures are deliberately low...)

The 2007 Annuario Pontificio (data as of end of 2006) puts the number of Eastern Catholics throughout the world at 16,386,616.

Amado

F
F
I'd say that was on the low side - but much depends on how one counts whom.

Fr. Serge

J
OP Offline
J
Here is an updated article from the Western Catholic Reporter:

http://www.wcr.ab.ca/news/2008/0630/liturgy063008.shtml

I.F.

F
F
Thank you! That article underlines the necessity of providing basic, accurate information, both for journalists and for everyone else who will be coming to the Dublin Eucharistic Congress.

Now will someone kindly write to that newspaper and tell them that Eastern Catholic (like Eastern Orthodox) priests are most definitely NOT permitted to marry? They may be ordained and continue in their marriages provided that they have already been married since before their ordination to the diaconate - the notion of a priest in parish who is looking for a wife is grotesque.

Fr. Serge

A
A
Originally Posted by Amadeus
Originally Posted by asianpilgrim

Fr. Serge

The 2007 Annuario Pontificio (data as of end of 2006) puts the number of Eastern Catholics throughout the world at 16,386,616.

Amado

The 16 million + figure is for all Eastern Catholics. The 7.6 million is for "Greek Catholics" or Byzantine-rite Catholics.

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.