The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (griego catolico, Fr. Al), 341 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#292990 06/24/08 03:05 PM
John
OP Offline
John
We are currently preparing to upgrade the software used by The Byzantine Forum (it has been over six months since the last upgrade). A specific time has not been set, but it will occur when I have several hours available (upgrades generally take about a half hour but I always make sure I can spend several hours just in case the upgrade is not as smooth as expected).

Please be aware that The Byzantine Forum will be offline during the upgrade, and that during the first few days after the upgrade things may not be as smooth as usual (as we configure the new software).

We also expect to make a few changes to the forum organization in the coming weeks.

Thanks to everyone for making The Byzantine Forum one of the most successful forums on the internet that focuses upon Eastern Christianity. Thanks especially to the moderators who donate their time to keep the discussions charitable.

O
O
John

I'm very much aware of how long you need to spend running the Forum - none of it happens without a lot of input from the Admins and Mods.

My thanks to you all

John
OP Offline
John
The software upgrades are completed. Please let us know if you encounter any issues with the upgraded software.

T
T
Are you ready to tell us what is new?

Or what differences to expect?

Originally Posted by Two Lungs
Are you ready to tell us what is new?

Or what differences to expect?

I was wondering too biggrin

John
OP Offline
John
At the user level there are not a lot of new features. There are some (like better displays of Active Topics and a better search utility). A lot of the changes are to add features we will probably never use (subscriptions, more complicated nested forums, etc.) The major benefit for us should be in more efficient code and in easier administration.

T
T
Thank you.

And thank you for running this forum.

O
O
So far it seems to be running nicely smile on my MacBook with FF3 and Tiger - can't answer for the Leopard folk

D
D
The cookie clearing is gone, though. I've often needed it, as this laptop picks up its internet connection from various sources. If there's been a change, I remain logged in but (often) cannot post.

FWIW, I still have to log in exactly twice every time; I assuume this is about the cookies, too.

While I'm mentioning such things, is there a way to set the options so that new posts in subfora don't show in the count for the forum itself?

Thanks for everything

hawk

Administrator
Administrator
Dear hawk,

Go to the "My Stuff" scroll down menu in the blue bar above. The last option is entitled "cookies". It is not gone just moved. wink

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+
Administrator

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
N
尼古拉前执事
尼古拉前执事
N
The site loads very slowly now for me. It sometimes takes a full minute to load the forum even though I have a cable modem. I am having no such issues on other sites.

FWIW, my experience is the same as that of Nigula Qian Zishi.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
I havent had problems loading, but have experienced a bit of slowness in navigating between fora but, based on past experience with updates here and elsewhere, that type of issue is fairly common in the first week or so after upgrades. So, I expect that this, too, will pass.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
U
U
I'm still having major problems with uploading photos. I have resized the photos and I still recieve a java script error message. Why?

Ung

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Ung-Certez
I'm still having major problems with uploading photos. I have resized the photos and I still recieve a java script error message. Why?

Ung,

I'm aware, from a tech forum, of some issues w/ photo uploads in the component package that we use for the directory - altho I haven't had problems in a long while, but I haven't seen any complaints about the main software having similar issues. It might explain, though, why the photo gallery has been somewhat devoid of new posts lately. I'll ask around in the tech forum if John doesn't have any ideas on the issue.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.