The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Regf2, SomeInquirer, Wee Shuggie, Bodhi Zaffa, anaxios2022
5,881 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
5 members (Fr. Al, theophan, 3 invisible), 107 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Byzantine Nebraska
Byzantine Nebraska
by orthodoxsinner2, December 11
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,219
Posts415,299
Members5,881
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
OP Offline
I
Hello,

There's an awful lot I disagree with in this commentary from Ann Woolner published 8 August 2008 on Bloomberg.com. I won't comment here except to say that I believe she's just catching up to issues objected to for years by many pro-lifers:

Millions Who Had Abortions Don't Know It: Ann Woolner (Update1) [bloomberg.com]

I would like to read your responses.

Peace out,
Irenaeus

J
J
Is it a scientific fact that birth control devices such as the pill often prevent implantation, rather than prevent conception? Does anyone know of any referreed journal articles that discuss this issue?

Joe

Joe,

The intended purpose of the pill is to work in three ways:

1) To prevent ovulation.

2) Thicken the mucous around the cervix, thus preventing sperm from reaching the uterus.

3) Alter the uterine lining to make implantation of the egg difficult.

Just go to any site which explains how the pill works, and they will state this. Here is one example:

http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/birth-control-pill

Note, however, that it is impossible to say how frequent the 3rd-stage "defense" against life occurs in real life. It could be 1%, 10% or 50% - I know of no research that conclusively shows how frequent each "defense" occurs.

J
J
Francis, thanks for the clear explanation and helpful info. I'll be sure to check out that link.

Joe

D
D
You don't even need to go to third parties.

Look at the manufacturer's site for something like tri-phasal (sp?); they tell you about the three stages.

I have yet to see a reliable estimate on how often the third phase is reached; the figures I've seen say that release of the egg is 90%-99% effective--but all the figures seem to come from groups with a dog in the fight.

99% just isn't enough, anyway . . .

hawk

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2022 (Forum 1998-2022). All rights reserved.