Dear Forum Members,
I'm sure the Kremlin is grateful for certain certain forum members reposting 'Soviet Era' propaganda concerning the war in Georgia. The collages of internet 'proof' are both breathtaking and facinating and I'm sure "if you repeat it a 100 times it will become the truth". But repeating it 100 times is not a discussion but rather a propaganda campaign. This liberal Byzantine Chrisitian forum is for discussion not Kremlin propaganda.
Here are several points with sound references which clearly indicate why the Russian Federation is the Aggressor and not Georgia. Further there is a near complete global agreement on this issue:
Must be a Helinsi Accord supporter to join NATO:http://www.nato.int/issues/pfp/index.html
NATO Partner countries:http://www.nato.int/structur/countries.htm
Serbia wants to joins NATO - Accepts Kosovo:http://www.nato.int/docu/update/2007/09-september/e0905a.html
(1) Russia and Georgia are signatories of the Helinski Accord and as such must repect the rights of their minorities. Almost ALL signatories have minority population whom they must respect based on the charter's content.
(2) Any infringement of the rights of minorities can be immediately made public through a variety of international venues. Abkhazians and Ossetians would be no exception and internatinal peacekeepers could be made available if there was any real threat to the minorities. (BTW - Canadian prime minister Lester B. Pearson was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for the idea of using the military for peace purposes.)
(2) Russia and Georgia are both signatories of NATO's Partners for Peace Program as are most European Countries. As members of this program, they have have to respect the internationally recognized borders of each country. Georgia's international border includes the provinces of Abkhazia and Ossettia and Georgia has a right to control them based on international law - not Russia.
Georgia has the obligation and right to protect it's minorities which it has an outstanding reputation for doing so in in the rest of the republic, including Ossetians and Abkhazians.
(3) NATO's Partners for Peace Program also includes Alliance Partners such as Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, and Japan. Other NATO friendly countries such as Israel are offered some integration. However, given these countries geographical location, it is not possible to include them in a European-North American Alliance. They are nonetheless strategic partners and they all frequently train and have military exercises together.
Jewish Israel has had large scale training exercises with Islamic Turkey. Islamic Turkey has had large scale training exercises with Roman Catholic Italy, (etc...). Israels has the full support of NATO in assisting the Alliance in any way possible, including training states such as Georgia which belongs to the Partners for Peace Program. There is nothing wrong with Isralies training Georgians according to the NATO Alliance, unless someone is anti-Semetic and feels that Jews and Orthodox Christians can't be allies. The Soviet Union and now Russia have mastered the art of both formenting anti-Semitism and using alledged anti-Semitism to detract from the real issue which is Russian Imperialism. Ukrainians and Isralies have come to learn this and have never been on better terms in spite of the Russian Federation significant attempts to have them fight with each other.
(4) Certain posters obsession with blaming the USA for the Georgian war is absurd at best. The Ukrainian president Victor Yuschenko was recently given the rare honor of addressing a joint House of the Canadian Parliament (Commons, Senate, Supreme Court, and Governor General). He asked that the government lead the cause for Ukraine's entry into the NATO alliance. The Canadian prime minister agreed and has been Ukraine' best advocate for entering the alliance. Poland for it's part has not stopped DEMANDING in a very vocal manner that Ukraine and Georgia be admitted to the alliance. All other NATO partners have been encouraging Ukraine and Georgia to enter the alliance. Why then is desire on the part of some posters to repeat Soviet....errr.... I mean Russian Federation propaganda ?
'Somewhat Christian' Canada regularly trains on Canadian Soil with Partners from all of the former Warsaw Pact countries - Except Russia which has decided to take a more 'homegrown approach to it's integration.
I'm not sure why certain posters find it incredulous to see Americans training Georgians. I can post pictures on this web site of Canadians training Georgians also. The is true for the UK, Germany, France and other member states.
(5) Private contractors are permitted under the NATO agreement to perform a variety of services within the parameters of the Alliance's rules. So far there has been no proof of any USA contractors in Georgia or the Russian sponsored breakaway provinces other than what some questionable news sources have published / posted. Even it there were, this is not illegal under NATO rules, which Georgia and Russian agred to abide by.
(6) Pat Buchanan may be a Roman Catholic and may reflect the views of some North American Catholics. His internet post has nothing to do with Catholicism, but rather with his own personal philosophy of American Isolationalism. The last time the USA took this position against the wishes of Canada and Europe was during WW2. It took Pearl Harbor to wake American up to the perils of Isolationism. His internet article is so flawed that no respectable news service would print it. That's because it's not based on any facts - it's just someone's opinion - who has not be very relevant in American politics for some time.
More importantly, VERY CATHOLIC POLAND and VERY CATHOLIC LITHUANIA have been the strongest and most vocal supporters of relative ORTHODOX Georgia and Ukraine's bid to enter the military alliance.
The fact is that Russia infiltrated in early 1990's these two provinces with Russian KGB agents in an attempt to truncate Georgia so that the nation could not serve as a conduit for oil from the Caspian Sea area which is thought to have more carbon fuels than than the Arabian Gulf area.
Russia has been providing military assistance to a very small group of people in the separatist provinces in direct violation of it's Helsinki and NATO Partnership for Peace agreements. Georgia attempt to take it's own sovereing territory was in no way a violation of it's Helsinki and NATO agreement. Russia's arming these regions on the other hand was a direct violation of both treaties.
Any discussion of genocide in the breakaway provinces either has to be proved - or it's time that the Administrator took some action regarding the propaganda campaign of certain posters. Asking to have the democratically elected Georgian president removed from power is clear Kremlin propaganda.
PS: I have been trying not to post.