The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
AlexAba, AlexA, Nicholas Schaeffer, Regf2, SomeInquirer
5,884 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 members (3 invisible), 81 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Byzantine Nebraska
Byzantine Nebraska
by orthodoxsinner2, December 11
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,222
Posts415,313
Members5,884
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
ajk Offline
Originally Posted by EdHash
Originally Posted by ajk
It is impossible for me to respond to false presumptions and non sequiturs of which this is but one example. You might as well be asking, "and have you finally stopped beating your wife?"

False presumptions? Non sequiturs? Beating your wife?

Yes. Yes. See the context.

Originally Posted by ajk
As I said, consider starting a thread on the issue. I'll no doubt participate and try to make my case. I can appreciate the arguments that can be made for other solutions than mine. Often, in the end, there are many valid points on all sides of the issue and a judgment must be made.

Appreciate arguments? Not with the implications of false presumptions, non sequiturs, and beating one's wife. You have avoided answering the questions I make.
I avoid no legitimate question; ask one. Start the indicated thread; focus on at least one issue.

E
E
Originally Posted by ajk
I avoid no legitimate question; ask one. Start the indicated thread; focus on at least one issue.

The motif has always been the same - contradiction. Contradictions between what is taught and what is actually practiced. Contradictions lead to confusion. Confusion leads to questions. Questions lead to no answers.

The original post was about a "blanket permission for Byzantine (old) Liturgy". Let's start there since you can only handle one issue at a time. Was a blanket permission given to return to the old or pre-RDL worship service?

This thread should not proceed further until that question is answered with absolute certainty. otherwise, it is merely a rumor.

Ed

John
John
Originally Posted by ajk
The motif has always been the same - contradiction. Contradictions between what is taught and what is actually practiced. Contradictions lead to confusion. Confusion leads to questions. Questions lead to no answers.

The original post was about a "blanket permission for Byzantine (old) Liturgy". Let's start there since you can only handle one issue at a time. Was a blanket permission given to return to the old or pre-RDL worship service?

This thread should not proceed further until that question is answered with absolute certainty. otherwise, it is merely a rumor.

Ed
Mr. Hash might consider taking the time to actually read what is posted. The original post heard a report from someone that might have been a mere rumor and asked for confirmation. No one confirmed permission. I noted that I was unaware of any official permission and suggested the matter was one of some parishes continuing with the 1964 texts and music rather then with the 2007 Revised texts and music, and that the Metropolitan was simply not making a fuss (for whatever unknown reasons). Mr. Hash then asked questions, to which I and others provided answers. Mr. Hash asked the same questions over again without reference to the answers already given. Now he seems to have come back to wondering if official permission was given at all and demands proof, when it has already been stated by the original poster who was looking for proof that there was none.

Methinks Mr. Hash is not serious about anything except showing himself to be annoying.

Admin

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by ajk

Ed
To be clear, "blanket permission" is in the thread title and not the original post. I have no information about any official permission being given to celebrate other than the RDL in English. In addition, as I said in my first post in this thread:
Originally Posted by ajk
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Byz
They told us that Archbishop Schott is letting parishes return to the Byzantine (Old) Divine Liturgy and will no longer be required to take the RDL.

My issues with the translation and redaction that is the RDL remain, for the most part, as what I consider to be legitimate questions (and questionings) that have not been adequately answered. To revert to or allow or concede or turn the eye or tolerate or...whatever, neglects the issues, the questions. It would be for me a shame to have a liturgy -- e.g. the Recension liturgy text, aka in English the 1965 liturgicon (the Red Book) -- come in only through the back door and not be permitted through the front. As a Church we should be able to do better, letting our "yes" mean yes and our "no" mean no, and doing in the light of day what we would be willing to do in the dark.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Father Anthony 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2022 (Forum 1998-2022). All rights reserved.