The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#304688 11/18/08 09:56 PM
OP Offline
Here is the link to a video I just found a few minutes ago, the title of it is traitors of Orthodoxy. Before I watched the video I had the impression ( from the tile) that it was going to be unpleasant. Strangely enough it starts out rather well but there is a part where some buddhists put a little statue of Buddha on an altar that makes me feel very strange.. I would be highly interested in your views.
video here. [youtube.com]

if this has already been discussed please send me the thread.

David

Check the archives.

J
J
What do the canons of the church have to say about praying with heretics or with non-christians? Is it permitted?

Joe

P
P
Absolutely not permitted...by Orthodox canons, tradition, and the gospel anyway.

Last edited by Prester John; 11/19/08 04:46 PM.
J
J
Originally Posted by Prester John
Absolutely not permitted...by Orthodox canons, tradition, and the gospel anyway.

Hmm, that's what I thought.

Joe

M
M
Not one of JPII's finer moments!

L
L
That's what I thought, too. But what about Orthodox who regularly pray with non-Orthodox Christians? Even the Patriarch of Constantinople does that, yanno... wink

Alexis

OP Offline
I thought that the gathering and silent prayer was actually quite nice. My problem started with the use of the altar etc/.

J
J
Originally Posted by Logos - Alexis
That's what I thought, too. But what about Orthodox who regularly pray with non-Orthodox Christians? Even the Patriarch of Constantinople does that, yanno... wink

Alexis

I am conflicted about praying with non-Orthodox Christians and even more conflicted about participating in generic invocations and prayers at college graduations, blessings of meals performed by non-Orthodox, etc. My policy now when I visit a non-Orthodox church (for example, weddings and baptisms) is to not actively participate and pray with the congregation but to sit respectfully and discreetly.

Joe

F
F
Had not previously encountered the verb "to conflict" in the passive voice. Interesting idea.

Fr. Serge

L
L
Joe said: My policy now when I visit a non-Orthodox church (for example, weddings and baptisms) is to not actively participate and pray with the congregation but to sit respectfully and discreetly.

Joe,

This is what I do as well, and what the Catholic Church encourages as far as I understand it (i.e., we are not allowed to "actively participate" in non-Catholic religious rituals).

Alexis

Last edited by Logos - Alexis; 11/19/08 07:49 PM.
J
J
Originally Posted by Logos - Alexis
Joe said: My policy now when I visit a non-Orthodox church (for example, weddings and baptisms) is to not actively participate and pray with the congregation but to sit respectfully and discreetly.

Joe,

This is what I do as well, and what the Catholic Church encourages as far as I understand it (i.e., we are not allowed to "actively participate" in non-Catholic religious rituals).

Alexis

I think that this makes sense. I think it also may entail the rejection of joint prayer services such as the recent one with the Patriarch of Constantinople and the Pope of Rome. To be quite honest, I found the content of the posted video to be scandalous and sacreligious. I also reject the notion that we worship the same God as Muslims and other non-Christians. Indeed, we don't even worship the same God as some Christians (who hold heterodox views of the nature of the Trinity and Christ). St. Paul called the idols and false gods of the pagan demons. So now a "demonic" pagan statue is allowed on a Roman Catholic altar and pagans allowed to worship it? And, I presume, while the consecrated Catholic host is reserved on the altar? And it bothers me that Orthodox hierarchs were there as part of this syncretistic prayer movement. Really, it is a grave insult to all of the Christian martyrs of ancient Rome who refused to engage in syncretism and sacrifice to the emperor's image.

God have mercy on me and on us all,

Joe

L
L
Joe,

I am continually and pleasantly surprised at our own thoughts' "syncretism." wink

I think we agree on the following points:

1) Catholics and Orthodox should not jointly pray with those who are not of their respective Confessions. This includes with each other. So joint prayer for the Pope of Rome and the Patriarch of Constantinople would be out, but I wouldn't be opposed to one charitably observing the other's prayer or religious rituals, as long as it isn't active participation. I think both of our Churches agree with this on paper, but in reality it plays out differently.

2) We do not worship the same God that Muslims or Mormons do.

You know that Pope Benedict himself, when he was Cardinal Ratzinger, wrote that Assisi was pretty troubling to his religious sensibilities. Even at the time, he was rather against it. I would be willing to bet Hell would freeze over before anything like Assisi comes to pass under this blessed pontificate.

Alexis

F
F
I was at the "interfaith" bash in Milan (sponsored by the Saint Egidio community). They did it in such a way that no one had to be present while some other group was praying - there were separate premises for each contingent.

On the other hand, it is a bit much to say that Catholics and Orthodox may not pray together. Does this include, for example, grace before meals?

Check with the Wisconsin Synod Lutherans, if you go in for that sort of thing. They won't even pray with other Lutherans.

Fr. Serge

G
G
Slava Isusu Khrestu

Hello

I hope that I may never be a survivor on a life-boat with some who have made comments here, especially if that little life-boat was taking on water!

Kolya

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.