The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 344 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
OP Offline
U
With the coming of the new year, I am trying to keep track of the parishes of the "Sui Juris Byzantine Metropolitan Church of America" (the former Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Metropolia) that have closed in 2008. I know there were several in the Passaic Eparchy, but what about in Van Nuys, Parma Eparchies and the Pittsburgh Archeparchy?

Ung

J
J
At the seminary Father David Petras used to say our church would be totally gone in 20 years. He may have been prophetic. Although the RDL is pushing people out the door so it may happen much sooner.

U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by John Damascene
At the seminary Father David Petras used to say our church would be totally gone in 20 years. He may have been prophetic. Although the RDL is pushing people out the door so it may happen much sooner.

Talk about irony! grin

Ung

J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J
Originally Posted by John Damascene

He is not the only priest in the BCC who has said that...

J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J
Originally Posted by Ung-Certez
With the coming of the new year, I am trying to keep track of the parishes of the "Sui Juris Byzantine Metropolitan Church of America" (the former Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Metropolia) that have closed in 2008. I know there were several in the Passaic Eparchy, but what about in Van Nuys, Parma Eparchies and the Pittsburgh Archeparchy?

Ung

I would love to see a listing!!!

A
A

Ung

Interesting. CNEWA's Eastern Catholic statistics for 2008 maintain that the BCC went down by only two parishes since 2007.

But then, I've been closely reading and comparing these statistics with other sources as well as with the CNEWA stats for previous years, and some of the numbers are either too good to be true, or are obviously inflated...

Last edited by asianpilgrim; 01/02/09 03:10 PM.

Ung

I usually mark them down as I hear of them closing in my 75th Anniversary book, which listed all the parishes alive at that time. I've been doing so since I got that book, so I'll try to put together a list of what I have and hopefully others can add to it, since I am sure that I would have missed some.

S
Cantor
Cantor
S
The most recent of the closings in the SJBMCA (to abbreviate the rather cumbersome name)is St Nicholas parish in Edison NJ. Dcc. 14th 2008

Van Nuys had no closings. I don't know of Parma or Pittsburgh.

If John D has accurately quoted Father David P's comment then we haven't long for this world as a separate identity. Neither the RCs nor the Orthodox think we have a future. Our own leaders seem unable to come up with any plans for cooperative action among the various Eastern Catholic Churches so I suppose we won't last long. I do believe the vision of uniting the East and West once again is so important that it must not be lost but we may have run our course. What will the strong parishes do which will doubtless survive in some form or another?

CDL

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by asianpilgrim
Interesting. CNEWA's Eastern Catholic statistics for 2008 maintain that the BCC went down by only two parishes since 2007.

But then, I've been closely reading and comparing these statistics with other sources as well as with the CNEWA stats for previous years, and some of the numbers are either too good to be true, or are obviously inflated...

pilrim,

Keep in mind that the stats there are merely copied and formatted by Father Robson from the latest edition of the Annuario, they are not independently verified by him or CNEWA (nor, for that matter, by AP staff).

As well, when it comes to counting "parishes", losses are sometimes offset by the addition of missions. No, the two are not the same thing - and, in fact, the Catholic Directory of the US clearly delineates between them in its stats. I have, however, seen less less particularity towards the distinction in status in other sources and instances.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Originally Posted by carson daniel lauffer
What will the strong parishes do which will doubtless survive in some form or another?

Continue being strong parishes living the Gospel through in an Eastern Catholic context. I would not worry about us disappearing. As long as there is one parish functioning Rome seems content to let an Eparchy exist. Such is the case in Latin America and the Middle East.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
S
Cantor
Cantor
S
So, other than St Nicholas parish in Edison. NJ were there actually any other parishes closed among the four eparchies of the Pittsburgh Metropolia?

So far the "several in the Passaic Eparchy" as reported in the original post is currently standing at one (1).

U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by Steve Petach
So, other than St Nicholas parish in Edison. NJ were there actually any other parishes closed among the four eparchies of the Pittsburgh Metropolia?

So far the "several in the Passaic Eparchy" as reported in the original post is currently standing at one (1).

..maybe I am thinking the other closings in Passaic happened at the end of 2007, no? If it was indeed only one parish closing in the Passaic Eparchy, then it was indeed a good year!

Last edited by Ung-Certez; 01/05/09 12:18 PM.
J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J

What does anyone expect. Bishop Andrew retired. The only parish he had his hands in was Edison.

Originally Posted by Job

What does anyone expect. Bishop Andrew retired. The only parish he had his hands in was Edison.

Nope--not quite. St. George as well--Fr. Dino's old parish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.