The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (NathanJA), 395 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
OP Offline
H
National Sanctity of Human Life Day, 2009
A Proclamation by the President of the United States of America

All human life is a gift from our Creator that is sacred, unique, and worthy of protection. On National Sanctity of Human Life Day, our country recognizes that each person, including every person waiting to be born, has a special place and purpose in this world. We also underscore our dedication to heeding this message of conscience by speaking up for the weak and voiceless among us.

The most basic duty of government is to protect the life of the innocent. My Administration has been committed to building a culture of life by vigorously promoting adoption and parental notification laws, opposing Federal funding for abortions overseas, encouraging teen abstinence, and funding crisis pregnancy programs. In 2002, I was honored to sign into law the Born-Alive Infants Protection Act, which extends legal protection to children who survive an abortion attempt. I signed legislation in 2003 to ban the cruel practice of partial-birth abortion, and that law represents our commitment to building a culture of life in America. Also, I was proud to sign the Unborn Victims of Violence Act of 2004, which allows authorities to charge a person who causes death or injury to a child in the womb with a separate offense in addition to any charges relating to the mother.

America is a caring Nation, and our values should guide us as we harness the gifts of science. In our zeal for new treatments and cures, we must never abandon our fundamental morals. We can achieve the great breakthroughs we all seek with reverence for the gift of life.

The sanctity of life is written in the hearts of all men and women. On this day and throughout the year, we aspire to build a society in which every child is welcome in life and protected in law. We also encourage more of our fellow Americans to join our just and noble cause. History tells us that with a cause rooted in our deepest principles and appealing to the best instincts of our citizens, we will prevail.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim January 18, 2009, as National Sanctity of Human Life Day. I call upon all Americans to recognize this day with appropriate ceremonies and to underscore our commitment to respecting and protecting the life and dignity of every human being.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this fifteenth day of January, in the year of our Lord two thousand nine, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-third.

GEORGE W. BUSH

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2009/01/20090115-1.html

Don't expect this to be repeated next year. The majority of Catholics voted pro-death this year and by their vote support abortion rights. President-Elect Obama has promised to advance the Culture of Evil and will keep that promise.

May God bless President Bush for keeping us safe and for working for Life.

President-Elect Obama has promised to advance the Culture of Evil and will keep that promise.

Since the word 'evil' stirs the passions in those so inclined to take offense, and can ignite partisan insults in political discussions, which is something I hope this thread will not deteriorate into, I think that a rewording of your above sentence could be in order.

Therefore, I would like to change it to:

"President-Elect Obama has promised to advance the Culture of abortion and will keep that promise" might be more appropriate. You can then say that you consider abortion evil. I don't think that any poster here will have a problem with this clarification.

Alice, Moderator

John
John
I will respectfully disagree with my sister, Alice. If we believe in Jesus Christ than we must hold abortion to be evil. The "Freedom of Choice Act" promised by President-Elect Obama is indeed evil. Remember that for us Catholics one may be a Catholic and fully support the war in Afghanistan and Iraq but one may not be Catholic and support abortion (an intrinsic evil).

Let us support President Obama on the issues where his policies are correct and oppose him on those issues where his policies are wrong (and, indeed, sometimes evil). Let us pray for him daily that the Lord will lead Him and that he accepts the Lord's leadership.

Originally Posted by Alice
Since the word 'evil' stirs the passions in those so inclined to take offense, and can ignite partisan insults in political discussions, which is something I hope this thread will not deteriorate into, I think that a rewording of your above sentence could be in order.
Is there much difference between labeling support of abortion, eugenics, euthanasia, and capital punishment as the Culture of Death than "Culture of Evil"?

If death is the consequence of sin, and sin is evil. I don't see much difference between the phrases.

Terry

John
John
Terry,

A quibble on the capital punishment. It is not an intrinsic evil and one may as a good Catholic support the use of capital punishment. The Church's position here is not that capital punishment is an intrinsic evil, but that mercy is called for in every situation. If the safety of every individual from those who commit capital crimes could be absolutely guaranteed I would agree that the use of capital punishment should be rare indeed.

John

I have to submit to that. If I gave it some thought before writing, I wouldn't have meant to group it as an intrinsic evil.

Is there an intrinsic evil that is supported by the majority of both parties?

Terry

C
C
Originally Posted by Terry Bohannon
Is there an intrinsic evil that is supported by the majority of both parties?

Terry

Yes the support of a country that has no problems slowly exterminating of a whole group people when of all people they should know better.

Einar

I have tried to enter into dialog through the Pres-elect's" website www.Change.org [change.org]

I can't believe the hatred toward Christianity, the hypocrisy and bigotry of the people who post (homosexual, feminists, "pro-choicers" and "educators".

The only groups with ethical (as a Christian views it) value are the "abolish human slavery" and selected education sections.

Amazing how those people who feel their rights should be formalized are the most hate-filled.

I fear that we will experience a very divisive four years if this group of people come to power.

Fr Deacon Paul

Last edited by Paul B; 01/17/09 10:57 PM.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.