The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#312777 02/16/09 05:03 PM
OP Offline
For several months I've been struggling with trying to reconcile what I truly believe with what Christianity teaches. Unsuccefully. I've also been studying Judaism, and have felt drawn to it. Long story short, I stopped attending church several months ago and have been attending a local shul for quite sometime. I won't get into a deep Judaism vs. Christianity debate, since that isn't Byzcath's purpose.

Since I now identify as a Jew spiritually emotionally and intellectually, I feel my time on the Byzcath forum has come to it's close.

I wish everyone here the best.
Shalom,
David

Not to stir controversy, I'd like to ask a question. Which rabbinical texts have you been studying?

I have read a little from the Babylonian Talmud. A translation of it will be one of the texts on an e-reader if I ever get one. I was reading it to better understand parables and their use in rabbinical literature. On the other hand, I found a good use of humor and wit in the rabbi stories I came across.

Terry

David,

Keep in mind that Rabbinical Judaism since Jamnia bears only a slight resemblance to the historical faith of the Old Testament and of Ancient Israel. Your shul, I'm afraid, is only a de-messianized version of Old Testament teaching and life, a form of "spiritualized Judaism" with no temple, no sacrifice and no Messiah.

As a believer in the fulfillment accomplished by Christ of the Old Testament (not the revised, de-messianized version touted by post-Jamnian rabbis), I am very sorry to see you abandon faith in Christ for such a thing. I pray that you will return someday after realizing your profound error. God's mercy is infinite and He always desires our return when we have fallen away from the true path of salvation.

God bless,

Fr. Deacon Daniel

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by DAVIDinVA
"Live for Christ, live in Christ; seek Him by penitence, find Him in His Eucharist. Die in Him die for Him! Count no labor worht the effort which has not His mark upon; fight His battles gain His victories.-James De Koven, Episcopal priest

L
L
God bless, and may the Holy Theotokos and your guardian angel intercede unceasingly to Christ our God for the salvation of your soul.

Alexis

J
J
Dear David,

I respect the freedom of conscience that all of us are given from God and I wish you the best. I, too, am sorry to see your apostasy from Christ; but I do understand the difficulties that you, and many people, have. Christianity is not an easy faith (you will find that the more Orthodox versions of Judaism are not easy either). And please listen to what Father Deacon Daniel has said. Today's Judaism (even Orthodox Judaism) is profoundly different from the biblical faith of the ancient Hebrews. Go with God.

Joe

I really love the Jews because my Lord Jesus Christ was Jewish on this earth, and I can certainly understand the attraction to the strong bond and traditions of Judaism and the Jewish people, but I really cannot understand how one can just put aside and discount Jesus after knowing Him.

I hope that within your heart you still believe in Him as Lord and Messiah, even if you are attracted to the outwards of Judaism...(in that case, I don't think that you would be blaspheming agains the Holy Spirit).

What about Messianic Judaism? Have you considered looking into that?

In Christ our salvation,
Alice

Alice #312830 02/17/09 05:25 AM
L'Chayim. May God be with you.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
David,

Be at peace. While I cannot say that I understand the choice that you've made or the reasons behind it, I respect that you believe it to be correct and you have my prayers in your spiritual journey.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Grateful
Grateful
David, be well and go with G-d.

O
O
If this is the way to which you feel you are being drawn and you cannot do other than respond - then so be it.

Many of us are on journeys that we do not understand .

Be at peace

eli Offline
May the Lord be with you, and may you find the Lord who is beside you.

I must say that I have been tempted to go to Judaism given their testimony of courage but with the blessed Polycarp at his trial when
"...the proconsul urging him, and saying, "Swear, and I will set you at liberty, reproach Christ;" Polycarp declared, "Eighty and six years have I served Him, and He never did me any injury: how then can I blaspheme my King and my Saviour?"

CDL

Alice #312851 02/17/09 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Alice
I really love the Jews because my Lord Jesus Christ was Jewish on this earth, and I can certainly understand the attraction to the strong bond and traditions of Judaism and the Jewish people, but I really cannot understand how one can just put aside and discount Jesus after knowing Him.

I hope that within your heart you still believe in Him as Lord and Messiah, even if you are attracted to the outwards of Judaism...(in that case, I don't think that you would be blaspheming agains the Holy Spirit).

What about Messianic Judaism? Have you considered looking into that?

In Christ our salvation,
Alice

My thoughts are as Alice is saying. My prayers are for you.

F
F
Dear David,

I can understand an attraction to Judaism, especially in its Orthodox form. After all, as Christians acknowledge, it is a revealed religion. I have read many books on Judaism and been fascinated.

That being said, I must now speak the truth in love. You have been a Christian. You have presumably known the Messiah. You have known God incarnate. Whatever hope a Jew who has not known Christ has of being saved, cannot be yours. In denying Christ, my friend, your salvation is lost. Your only hope is to repent of your apostasy. I will be praying for you. You may discount what I say now, but Jesus has a place in your heart. Woe to you if you deny Him.

Fr David Straut

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.