The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Halogirl5, MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick
6,000 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (theophan), 436 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,400
Posts416,779
Members6,000
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#320363 04/30/09 12:07 AM
OP Offline
Christ is Risen!

I am a Latin Catholic who is becoming more and more drawn to the Eastern Catholic Church. There is a Ukrainian mission in my city that I plan to begin attending. Can anyone recommend any reasonably priced Eastern Catholic prayer books that are perhaps designed for beginners? I have an Orthodox friend (OCA) who has lent me the Jordanville Prayer Book and a couple of others, but I would like to find something that is Eastern Catholic.

C
C
Christ is risen!

I would recommend the Byzantine Book of Prayer. It is a Byzantine Ruthenian Catholic prayer book published by the Byzantine Seminary Press. Here is a link.

http://www.byzantines.net/byzantinepress/books.htm

Chris H.

O
O
Sea Knight

There are many of us in the UGCC who use the Jordanville Prayer Book and also the Old Orthodox Prayer Book and recommend them highly.

You could also consider the 'The Divine Liturgy an Anthology of Worship' published by the Sheptitsky Institute in Canada - not just a resource on the Divine Liturgy but has a lot of prayers , preparation for Confession and other things. This is not cheap I know but very very good.

You will find it on this page
An Anthology for Worship [ustpaul.ca]

Hope that helps

F
F
Allow me to second the suggestion to use the Jordanville Prayer Book and/or the Old Orthodox Prayer Book.

Fr. Serge

A
Roman Catholic
Roman Catholic
A
Father Bless

If you would allow a stupid question from a dumb Latin.

Why?

F
F
Because either of those two is better than any Eastern Catholic prayer-book on the market.

Fr. Serge

A
Roman Catholic
Roman Catholic
A
ah... would the prayers be at all diffrent?

S
S
More extensive and better translated.

R
R
Christ is Risen!

I also use the Jordanville prayer book and would recommend it.

I might suggest though, since you asked for something that is distinctly Eastern Catholic and you are also planning on attending a Ukrainian mission, that you consider either "Let Us Lift Up Our Hearts - a Prayer Book for the Faithful" which is 184 pages in Ukrainian and English or the more comprehensive "The Sacrifice of Praise" which is 937 pages in English with ribbon markers. Both books are hardcover and are UGCC approved publications. They can be purchased from the Eparchy of St. Josaphat's online store www.stjosaphateparchy.org [stjosaphateparchy.org] or from Eastern Christian Publications www.ecpubs.com. [ecpubs.com.]

Dear Sea Knight, I would second the excellent recommendations of sister Anhelyna, especially the Anthology and the Old Orthodox Prayer Book. I have the Jordanville book but use it very rarely compared to the OOPB. Not only are the riches of the pre-Nikonian tradition presented, but I also prefer the English translation in the OOPB over the Jordanville book.

The only current Ukrainian prayerbook in English with the blessing of Patriarch Lubomyr is the Anthology . If you have any interest in learning the music of the propers and the Liturgy in the Galician/Kyivan tradition this is the best source. While most of the book is in English, the essential parts of the Liturgy, Panakhyda, and Octoechos are given in both Ukrainian and English.

The Anthology also has some very good devotional material such as the traditional Canon and prayer rule for preparation for Communion, post-Communion prayers, a nice examination of conscience based on the Beatitudes, the Little Hours, blessings of the priest on certain feast days, alternate ambonal prayers, etc. It is available from the St. Josaphat Eparchy bookstore link above, Byzantine Church Supplies in Philadelphia http://www.ukrcathedral.com/byzsup or the Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute: http://www.ustpaul.ca/Sheptytsky/pubs/publications_main.htm

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.