The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
JustinWJustiniano, Chauntsinger, barabara737th, jwag, Georg
5,963 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (griego catolico, JohnFromRuthenia), 246 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,378
Posts416,669
Members5,963
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
The link below has addition info on it. biggrin

465 Americans to be ordained priests; 1/4 foreign-born, majority on dean’s list in college
April 21, 2009

The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) has released data on members of the ordination class of 2009. A remarkable 55% who responded to a survey were on the dean’s list in college, while 11% were college valedictorian or salutatorian.

One quarter of this year’s ordinands are foreign born. Mirroring worldwide vocation trends, a disproportionately high number are Asian Catholics, while a disproportionately low number are Hispanics. Disproportionately high numbers attended Catholic elementary school, Catholic high school, and Catholic college, while 10% are converts-- with the average age of conversion being 21.

According to one press release issued by the USCCB, the average age of those who will be ordained priests is 36; according to another press release, it is 33.

Source(s): these links will take you to other sites, in a new window.

* Ordination Class 2009 Has Many Asian-Born, Despite Low Percentage of Asian Catholics in United States (USCCB)
* Computer experts, refugees, marathon runners, widowers: new US priests mirror America (USCCB)
* Laborers for the Harvest: Promising vocations news from Asia, Africa, and Oceania (Catholic World Report)
* Where the Laborers are Few: Mixed vocations news from Europe and the Americas (Catholic World Report)

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=2680

Grateful
Grateful

465 Americans to be ordained priests

GOD BE PRAISED !!!

L
L
Only 10% are converts? That number seems surprisingly low. Maybe that's just me.

Alexis

The Catholic Church just increased by 150,000 converts that means 322 per priest that was ordained.
Not bad!
Stephanos I

Last edited by Stephanos I; 04/21/09 10:22 PM.
L
L
The Church averages 150,000 to 200,000 adult converts a year...and that's just in the U.S.!

Alexis

Last edited by Logos - Alexis; 04/21/09 11:39 PM.
A
A
Of the 465 ordinands this year, only about 70% were able to respond to the CARA profiling, all of whom are would-be Latin rite priests.

There are about 30% of the ordinands who did not or were unable to respond to the annual survey by CARA.

Does anybody know if there are ordinands for any of the Eastern Catholic Churches among the remaining 30% who did not or were unable to respond to the CARA survey?

Amado

BTW, our Archdiocese (Chicago) has 10 ordinands for 2009.

A
A
In 2002 there were 442 ordinands, in 2005 there 454, in 2008 there were 480 ordinands. Slight increases then a decrease. Does anybody know why?

L
L
I do not think such a relatively small variation is statistically significant. However, I am pleased to see that the general trend appears to be positive.

Last edited by Latin Catholic; 04/22/09 08:11 PM.
The Ruthenian Archeparchy of Pittsburgh has 1 man being ordained the the prebyterate this year.

F
F
I am going to be ordained to the priesthood this June for the Diocese of Harrisburg. I am part of that 30% that did not respond to the survey - the paper got buried on my desk and when I found it it was too late to fill out the online survey! Sorry, CARA!

I am a cradle Catholic, attended Catholic grade school from Kindergarten through high school, and I entered seminary in 2001, when I graduated high school. I went through a four-year college seminary (St. Charles Borromeo in Philadelphiagrin) and am now about to finish my fourth and last year at Mount St. Mary's in Emmitsburggrin. I am proud to have attended two of the best seminaries in the USA.

I will be 25 years old at the time of ordination. I'm the last of five kids, as well. Although I grew up in an almost solidly Catholic area (the only non-Catholics on my block were Orthodox wink ), I did experience some mild but noticeable discouragement.

Please encourage those young men in your parishes, discern if YOU are to be the voice of God encouraging them on earth to discern and follow this difficult, but rewarding vocation!

Last edited by Jon; 04/23/09 01:09 PM.
A
A
Dear Fr. Jon:

Thank you for finding the time to respond! You are one of the youngest in the Ordination Class of 2009!

May the Lord bless you abundantly in your priestly ministry!

Amado

D
D
God is always to be praised for all new priests. I wish the number were higher, though. That number is only 9.3 priests per state, and doesn't cover the number of priests who will retire and pass away this year.

Unfortunately, the numbers aren't growing.

I find it interesting that in Orthodoxy, the largest number by far of clergy candidates are converts. It's the cradle Orthodox who's families are tepid & discouraging of their children from a clerical or monastic vocation.

Sbdn Jon

Let's praise God for each and every new priest. It is time for each of us to ask God if one of our children or grandchildren is being called and to encourage them to follow Gods will.

PAX
Kathleen Elsie

wow... That is beautiful.
Thank You Lord for your blessings at all times.

In Christ, Lather.

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2023 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.