The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Diak Offline OP
OP Offline
I've seen it twice now since we bought it. The first time I literally was speechless for basically the rest of the evening after I saw it (no mean feat - ask my wife or sons). A must see especially for those of the UGCC. Serhiy Romaniuk is simply amazing as Metropolitan Andrey.

Oles Yanchuk delivers his greatest movie yet and has an interesting cameo as Marshall Pidsulski.
FDRLB

J
J
You can buy it directly for $25 from the Ukrainian Congress Committee of America (UCCA0 by contact them on their web site.

http://ucca.org/home/index.php?option=com_contact&Itemid=3

I.F.

Diak Offline OP
OP Offline
Yevshan also carries it.

If one were to purchase the DVD would it be compatible with U.S. DVD players? (Sorry, I'm still a little technologically challenged when it comes to gadgets and gizmos.)

J
J
The video is 100% compatible with US DVD systems.

Also, Yevshan does sell it, but Yesvshan makes a profit from it. The UCCA does not. When purchased from the UCCC, all proceeds are used to cover the cost of making the movie, so please buy it from the UCCA. Ask for Liza. She will take care of your order.

I.F.

Last edited by Jean Francois; 06/25/09 03:07 PM.
Diak Offline OP
OP Offline
Absolutely. As JF has mentioned, the DVD for sale within the US and Canada is compatible with North American DVD format. Ours played right out of the box.

T
T
"The Way" has a printable order form for those who are interested.

Scroll to page 13 (PDF format).

http://www.ukrarcheparchy.us/way/THEWAY090621ENG.pdf

F
F
CAUTION: the film is indeed lovely; I've watched it several times with much pleasure. But one must keep in mind that this is a partly fictionalized presentation of Metropolitan Andrew's biography. I would suggest reading, for instance, Fr. Cyril Korolevsky's biography of Metropolitan Andrew (the original is in French; there is an English translation but modesty forbids me to name the translator!).

Fr. Serge

J
J
Dear Fr Serge,

I will be watching the movie with some people who have never seen it before. Can kindly you offer just a few of the most 'glaring' examples of fictionalization.

Thank you.

I.F.

F
F
Well, let's see. The scene of Metropolitan Andrew alone in Saint George's Cathedral shows the Cathedral interior as it was during a much later period.

The scene of the less-than-pleasant conversation between Metropolitan Andrew and the Orthodox priest is pure fabrication.

There is no basis for the attempt to portray a priest in the Metropolitan's entourage as a Soviet spy.

Patriarch Joseph was arrested in the dark of night and taken away alone; the entourage was arrested some time later.

And on. Read the Metropolitan's biography.

Fr. Serge

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.