The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#326655 07/05/09 10:05 PM
M
Mruzi Offline OP
OP Offline
M
What's good everyone? Hope you are all having a blessed sunday.
I'm moving to the bay area? I know there are probably some parishes there, can anyone give me the 411 on them and tell me a little about them?

L
L
Originally Posted by Mruzi
I'm moving to the bay area? I know there are probably some parishes there, can anyone give me the 411 on them and tell me a little about them?

More specific, por favor. smile Orthodox or ECC or Latin Rite? East Bay, SF or peninsula/So Bay?

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Mruzi,

If you are seeking Orthodox parishes, Eastern or Oriental, check the stickied post near the top of this forum for links to directory sites of various of the Churches.

If you are seeking Catholic parishes, Eastern or Oriental, our on-line Directory is still under construction, but is complete as to the Ruthenian and Russian parishes in the Bay Area, as well as those of some of the Oriental Churches (Ethiopian/Eritrean and Armenian). See here.

If you are seeking Ukrainian, Melkite, Maronite, Chaldean, or Syro-Malabar parishes, see these links for now:

Ukrainian [stnicholaseparchy.org]*
Melkite [melkite.org]
Maronite [usamaronite.org]
Chaldean [kaldu.org]
Syro-Malabar [stthomasdiocese.org]

*St Nicholas Eparchy site was off-line tonight; if you have problems accessing it, PM me.

There are no Coptic, Syro-Malankara, Syriac, Italo-Grieco-Albanian, or Romanian parishes in that area.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Might I suggest the Russian Catholic Church (Our Lady of Fatima)Lake St. Its a small and close community.
Stephanos I

C
C
This church is worth a visit--their Pantocrator in the dome has the largest mosaic head of Christ in the Western Hemisphere.

http://www.holytrinitysf.org

Dave

L
L
For sentimental reasons the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Ascension atop the Oakland Hills will always be my favorite sacred space. I went to my first funeral there when I was about 10 years old. My first funeral, and my first exposure to Orthodox Liturgy. There were only about 8 apostles on the dome [facebook.com] at that time as it was still being completed.

It's quite "modern" compared to Holy Trinity (the iconography is very "modern" to me, and they have pews), but still, I'll always have a place in my heart for where I had my first glimpse of Heaven... and first heard "Christos Anesti! [youtube.com]". I love to just go sit up there.

You'll see for yourself when you visit there, Mruzi. grin

Also the best Greek Festival! [oaklandgreekfestival.com] OPA!!! [flickr.com]

They've been building a new chapel on the site for years, atop a massive parking/plaza complex which is completed. The exterior seems completed. The chapel and the church are in the photo on their website [groca.org].

L
L
Originally Posted by Stephanos I
Might I suggest the Russian Catholic Church (Our Lady of Fatima)Lake St. Its a small and close community.
Stephanos I

"Small" might be an exaggeration. I usually say tiny. wink Do come [byzantinecatholic.org]! We have a wonderful priest, Father Hieromonk Eugene, and Father Deacon Kyrill, and a RC Father Vito learning the Divine Liturgy, and sometimes a Dominican Brother assisting Deacon Kyrill and a very dedicated choir. If you drive, allow 2 days to find parking. Just kidding... 20 minutes is plenty of time. LOL!

I use to visit often now with a busy parish I only
get there on the rare occassion.
Stephanos I

R
R
Anyne ever been to the Old Holy Virgin Cathedral (ROCOR) on Fulton St? Are they still an active parish?

Old Holy Virgin Cathedral on Fulton is still an active parish.
They have Vigil on Saturday at 4:00 p.m. and Liturgy on Sundays and Holy Days. I understand it is a warm community. I have yet to visit there.

R
R
I'm actually very interested in this church. I know that it was founded by the saintly archbishop Appolinary back in the 20's when its congregation broke away from Holy Trinity Cathedral (OCA). The church was a former Episcopal parish.

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.