The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (seven_mansions), 409 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#328556 07/27/09 02:23 AM
OP Offline
SLAVA ISUSU CHRISTU!

As we all know, this year the 75th Anniversary of the Otpust to Mt. St. Macrina in Uniontown.

I got my schedule and was very puzzled to see that there is only 1 Divine Liturgy on Sunday morning and it's NOT in OCS.

Has anyone else gotten the schedule? Can anyone shed any more light on this?

I saw the schedule in HORIZONS and noticed no Slavonic liturgy as well.

If it's anything like my OCA parish they are probably trying to wipe out Slavonic once and for all. mad

U
U
Originally Posted by pisankar
SLAVA ISUSU CHRISTU!

As we all know, this year the 75th Anniversary of the Otpust to Mt. St. Macrina in Uniontown.

I got my schedule and was very puzzled to see that there is only 1 Divine Liturgy on Sunday morning and it's NOT in OCS.

Has anyone else gotten the schedule? Can anyone shed any more light on this?

Markian,

I quess I don't need to ask off from work on Sept. 6th.

U-C

F
F
Church-Slavonic is enjoying a modest but strong revival at the moment. So what is to be gained by attempting to wipe it out?

Fr. Serge

The early schedule released last year did not have it on their either. This schedule tends to be incomplete.

Originally Posted by Fr Serge Keleher
Church-Slavonic is enjoying a modest but strong revival at the moment. So what is to be gained by attempting to wipe it out?

Fr. Serge

There are more than a few people in the Ruthenian Byzantine and OCA churches who aren't enjoying the revival. I've seen it firsthand.

S
S
Who are these people, and how many of them don't wear pectoral crosses or oraria?

F
F
I did not suggest that everyone is enjoying the Church-Slavonic revival - and if such a revival is happening in the Pittsburgh Metropolia, that is news to me.

Fr. Serge

This is sad news to me. It is something I look forward to every year since it is just about the only time I get to experience the entire liturgy in OCS.

B
B
The 9 AM Sunday Divine Liturgy in Slavonic is certainly listed in the Otpust schedule in last week's edition of the Byzantine Catholic World; the "small" leaflet the Sisters sent out didn't include any of the early Sunday services, including Matins.

In Christ,
Jeff

As I mentioned before it was not on the released schedule last year either, but they still had it. I would suggest if people are concerned that it might not be celebrated to contact someone at the Monastery and ask if they will have it.

U
U
Originally Posted by Erie Byz
As I mentioned before it was not on the released schedule last year either, but they still had it. I would suggest if people are concerned that it might not be celebrated to contact someone at the Monastery and ask if they will have it.
Glory BE to Jesus Christ! Now if they could only accomodate the elderly who deserve to hear the liturgy of the youth by holding the Church Slavonic Sluzhba Bozha at a reasonable time, say 11:00 AM. If it were to be changed to a later time, the number of pilgrims attending the morning Church Slavonic liturgy would most definitely be higher than the Pontifical Divine Liturgy that is held at 4:00 PM Sunday afternoon.

U-C

The schedule posted in the BCW lists a Slavonic liturgy at 9:00AM on Sunday at the Shrine Altar.

Awesome! This is great news!

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
That's good to hear. I still get a schedule in the mail every year. this year's was a fold out pamphlet that didn't mention the Slavonic liturgy. Good to hear they didn't axe it as a lot of people would have been upset.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.