The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 425 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
byzanTN #329018 08/02/09 10:52 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Charles,

I happen to have two different MP3 players. I have the iPod Touch for music, videos, apps, etc. and also allows me email and internet connections while I am in my building and out of my office. I also have a Zen Mosaic I picked up when Circuit City went out of business. This is the player that I use for audiobooks exclusively.
- - - - -

As for the audiobooks, on a recent trip I was able to listen to several of the books on my player. It was great to help wile the time away on the plane or train trips, along with when I was walking or workng on something that did not require my absolute focus on the activity. A number of the books I have were also TV programs or movies, and the primary actors were also the narrators of the books, so certain nuances were carried over into the book narrations. I just downloaded the book "1776" and the author is also the reader, David McCullough. While other types of books in electronic format interest me, the thought a carrying around a bulky reading device does not, along with having to carry it in my shoulder bag with its charging device, along with actually having to focus on it is not appealing. My tiny Zen weighing only two or three ounces was just right and afforded me the opportunity to enjoy my walks and whatever while listening to my favorite books.

Also both services I use, Audible and iTunes gives you the advantage of burning the books onto CD for listening on a CD player if you so desire. I am not sure if Amazon's service will allow that, but they also offer audiobooks.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
O
O
Hmm - over here there was a bit of a problem with Amazon's audio books recently . If I have understood this properly , books can be added by almost anyone and one had managed to get its way onto the list illegally .

Don't ask me which book - I can't remember , however it had been very popular and bought by quite a large number of people. When a complaint was made to Amazon - they of course , correctly , pulled it off the list and by doing so they removed it from the various players of purchasers. They were not best pleased even though they were given Credit Notes from Amazon.

B
B
Actually, I believe the book removed from Amazon was "1984." The president of Amazon has put out a letter apologizing for Amazon's bungling in handling the matter.

Fr. Anthony, thanks for the player information. That gives me something to take shopping with me, and I will look at the Zen Mosaic. I miss Circuit City. I used to be able to find nearly anything I wanted there.

byzanTN #329034 08/02/09 07:54 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Charles,

You may also besides the Zen line of players want to also look at SanDisk's Sansa line of players. SONY has some nice ones but are more expensive. I agree with you, I miss Circuit City. I am definitely no fan of Best Buy.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
byzanTN #329075 08/03/09 03:39 AM
D
D
Originally Posted by byzanTN
Actually, I believe the book removed from Amazon was "1984." The president of Amazon has put out a letter apologizing for Amazon's bungling in handling the matter.

No, that's wrong. Oceania has always been at war with Amazon, and such texts were never available there . . .

smile

hawk

dochawk #329101 08/03/09 10:35 AM
O
O
Well the Amazon / 1984 'thing' rumbles on

" they ate my homework" [theregister.co.uk]

There could well be some dark clouds on the horizon over this mess.

I'll stick to Audible

I
I
I wear a digital hearing aid and through the state was eligible for an amplified neckloop headset for cell phone usage. (no way I'm removing $2000+ hearing aids out in public)I ended up with ClearSounds Amplified Neckloop Headset with different cables including one that can be used for newer cellphones and listening devices.I don't have any listening devices now except my cellphone,but now I have the ability to listen to iPod's etc.Do check into it.

indigo #331055 08/29/09 06:51 AM
O
O
I have found a reasonable way of listening to my iPod leaving my hearing aids in all the time.

I have a set of headphones smile They slip on over my ears and providing I position them carefully I get no feed back from my hearing aids smile

indigo #331565 09/04/09 03:59 AM
D
D
Originally Posted by indigo
I ended up with ClearSounds Amplified Neckloop Headset with different cables including one that can be used for newer cellphones and listening devices.

A bluetooth necklace???

smile

hawk

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.