The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
I don't know how credible this story is, but here goes:

http://www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news_content.php?id=1023275&lang=eng_news

Russian patriarch warms to Western-leaning Ukraine

By MARIA DANILOVA
Associated Press
2009-08-05 07:29 PM

The head of the Russian Orthodox Church said he could become a Ukrainian citizen and spend more time here as part of an effort to maintain religious influence over this Western-leaning former Soviet neighbor, his office said Wednesday.
"I would be ready to take Ukrainian citizenship, sure. I have no problems with that," Patriarch Kirill said during a recent meeting with Ukrainian church leaders, in remarks released by his office.

The statement comes as Kirill concludes a marathon 10-day visit to Ukraine. The visit is seen as aimed at reasserting Moscow's dominance over this strategic Orthodox country of 46 million and hampering Kiev's efforts to win recognition of a local Orthodox Church that would be independent from Moscow.

Kirill, 62, took over the Russian Orthodox Church earlier this year and is considered to be a cautious reformer, compared to his predecessor Alexy II.

Although last week Kirill firmly rejected calls to recognize the legitimacy of an independent Ukrainian church, he struck a more conciliatory tone Wednesday, conceding that the Moscow Patriarchate was also to blame for the split in Ukrainian Orthodox. He said the Moscow Patriarchate failed to accommodate the needs of an independent Ukrainian nation after the 1991 Soviet collapse.

A breakaway church, called the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Kiev Patriarchate, was set up in the 1990s. It is still smaller than the dominant Moscow-aligned church, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Moscow Patriarchate, but polls show it is gaining popularity.

Pro-Western President Viktor Yushchenko has been lobbying the spiritual leader of the world's 250 million Orthodox, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople, to recognize that group as a legitimate church. So far the efforts have been unsuccessful.

Kirill vowed to decorate his throne hall in Moscow with a Ukrainian flag and said he favored the idea of spending half a year in Russia and half a year in Ukraine, provided he was in good health.

"This is a very good idea," Kirill said. "The patriarch just needs a bit more health and energy."

During his trip to Ukraine, Kirill toured monasteries and holy sites in the pro-Russian east and south as well as the nationalist West, where the breakaway church is most influential. He was greeted by thousands of believers, but has also seen angry protests by members of the Kiev Patriarchate and nationalist groups who opposed his visit. He had to cancel a trip to the western Rivne region due to anticipated protests there.

F
F
Hmmm. Does Patriarch Cyril realize that Ukraine does not permit "dual citizenship"? The mind boggles at the thought of anyone trying to obtain simultaneous citizenship in all the countries where the Moscow Patriarchate claims jurisdiction.

Fr. Serge

I find this to be a bit odd. Should then the Pope apply for dual citizenship for all the countries that come under his care?

I wish that the Moscow Patriarchate would do what the people of Ukraine want- a National self governing Church free from the Moscow Patriarchate. Doubt that will happen.

Many years!

A
OP Offline
A
I don't think Patriarch Kirill is thinking of taking citizenship in every country where the MP holds sway... all that he's mentioned is Ukrainian citizenship, since he sees Kiev as one of the two capitals of Rus.

S
S
I don't think Patriarch Kirill is thinking of taking citizenship in every country where the MP holds sway... all that he's mentioned is Ukrainian citizenship, since he sees Kiev as one of the two capitals of Rus.

Maybe he wants a bolt hole in case Vladimir Putin decides that maybe Stalin had the right idea, after all?

F
F
My suggestion of multiple citizenship for Patriarch Cyril was intended as an example of reductio ad absurdum, not as a serious suggestion.

The history of the past two centuries makes it reasonable to note that persistence in "uncanonical" autocephaly leads to "canonical" autocephaly.

Fr. Serge

When I read the name of this thread I thought this was some kind of a joke...

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.