The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Halogirl5, MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick
6,000 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 379 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,400
Posts416,779
Members6,000
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
ajk Offline
Originally Posted by DTBrown
For instance, there’s a criticism of pre-cuts, but shouldn’t any “cuts” be considered a departure from the norm? The rubric in the liturgicon is to break the particle of the lamb, and adhering to what is considered an essential element of the prototype of the Divine Liturgy, Jesus took bread and broke it, He didn’t cut it.

I'm not sure if I understand the argument. I don't think you mean to criticize the Byzantine tradition by your comments. I believe the development of the eucharistic rite in the Byzantine tradition is a valid expression of the living tradition of the Church.
Not to criticize the tradition but to look at it critically. Is a development of cutting rather than breaking correct? Some of our developments have been influenced by our union with the western church. It's easy to say "latinization" therefore wrong. The path of our Orthodox counterparts, though free of such kind of latinizations, should, based on the theology, be subject also to a critical examination.

I believe, and have so posted, that the "shape" of the liturgy consists of four essential elements: 1)taking bread; 2)blessing and giving thanks; 3)breaking; and 4)giving. Let's at least assume that is so. 1, 2 and 4 are basically self evident. But 3, even in the present rite, is something easily overlooked, even though the "breaking of bread" is the most ancient designation for the eucharistic celebration. And the theology and symbolism is quite profound, as indicated by the accompanying prayer:
Broken and distributed is the lamb of God, broken yet not divided, ever eaten yet never consumed, but sanctifying those who partake thereof.

Again breaking, not cutting, even if from the lamb, and even if done at this time and not before.

To further illustrate the point consider two alternatives.

In one, there are pre-cuts, say, from the one loaf (but not the lamb), and in the liturgy the lamb is broken as indicated.

In another case, no pre-cuts, but the lamb -- maybe because of its size or to avoid crumbs or whatever -- is also cut and not broken at all. There is only cutting, no breaking.

I think the latter case, with no breaking, is a very significant departure from the essential norm compared to the first example, no matter how badly one might say the first is tainted with a latinization.

Even if the lamb is broken, any subsequent cutting is also a departure from the rubrics and the biblically based norm.

F
F
When using fresh, leavened prosphora and there are several hundred communicants, ordinary prudence dictates the use of the Lance to "break" the Lamb at communion-time. Pascha is an obvious example of such an occasion.

Fr. Serge

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by ajk
Even if the lamb is broken, any subsequent cutting is also a departure from the rubrics and the biblically based norm.

Originally Posted by Fr Serge Keleher
When using fresh, leavened prosphora and there are several hundred communicants, ordinary prudence dictates the use of the Lance to "break" the Lamb at communion-time. Pascha is an obvious example of such an occasion.

Thanks for this example; it goes to my point: "ordinary prudence dictates" a pragmatic solution that departs from the rubrics and what is found in the prototype.

I'll say again, look at the theology and the essential symbolism: if there is all cutting and no breaking, this is a far greater departure -- one might even say abuse -- than pre-cuts and a properly performed breaking of the lamb.

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by ajk
Or is it ok if some particles are cut (not necessarily pre-cut) as long as there is a fraction rite, a breaking of the whole lamb into the four parts?

There is a difference between what "is okay" and what is our tradition. I have never said that using pre-cuts pieces makes the Liturgy bad or invalid. I would here agree, however, with Fr. David Petras who writes on his website [davidpetras.com]:

I would reaffirm the principle of fidelity to our Eastern heritage. Since the Eastern Church is mostly Orthodox, that would include a fidelity also to Orthodox principles of Liturgy...Indeed, in my priesthood, I have striven to make [the 1941 Ruthenian Sluzhebnik] my ultimate model, and to eliminate all latinizations from Ruthenian practice. I have not always been successful, and the most serious latinization in my opinion is the use of pre-cut particles rather than the comminution of the ahnec (lamb) for Holy Communion. (Emphasis added)

Why perpetuate this latinization? Why not just follow our tradition?

As Fr. Serge's post indicates regarding the use of the lance, for instance at Pascha, what I have ask about being "ok" is the practice he says is done. Is it a custom or tradition? It is an accommodation that traditional usage appears to sanction.

The inquiry I propose is a theological one and therefore moves beyond the supposition of latinization and therefore wrong or misdirected. If the Ruthenian church had come up with pre-cuts on its own, rather than imitating the latins, there should still be basic reasons, appealing to fundamentals, to critique it.

Also, the quote from Fr. David gave me some pause, especially where he states "I have striven to make [the 1941 Ruthenian Sluzhebnik] my ultimate model, and to eliminate all latinizations from Ruthenian practice." Considering his role and defense of the RDL, I'm not sure what to make of it. Perhaps, one can unabashedly decimate the liturgicon in content and expression as long as there is the intent and appearance of getting rid of those damned latinizations. But all that's really accomplished is the throwing out of the baby with the bath-water.

So "Why perpetuate this latinization? Why not just follow our tradition?" I'd say it depends on whose tradition and what it directs, and that it is not automatically judged pure just because it came from the east and not the west.

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by ajk
The liturgicon indicates that all communicate from the lamb. As correctly pointed out above in the quoted post, however, the basic theology of scripture, the primary written account of our theology, points to one bread, one loaf. Even though the lamb has liturgical significance, is not the primitive symbolism followed whenever all the bread for communion comes from a single loaf? This can be done -- one loaf, though not from the lamb -- with pre-cuts.

That assumes that the pre-cuts were taken from the same loaf.
That is the situation I propose, describe and consider.

When pre-cuts come from plastic tupperware containers, one never knows their history.
That is another situation about pre-cuts, not the one I was considering, and you correctly state the issue about their history.

DTBrown Offline OP
OP Offline
Not to criticize the tradition but to look at it critically. Is a development of cutting rather than breaking correct? Some of our developments have been influenced by our union with the western church. It's easy to say "latinization" therefore wrong. The path of our Orthodox counterparts, though free of such kind of latinizations, should, based on the theology, be subject also to a critical examination.

This might serve as the basis of another thread. This thread supposes that the Byzantine prosphora tradition is normative. Another thread could examine whether we should change that tradition to breaking bread instead of cutting the bread as the rubrics now say.

So "Why perpetuate this latinization? Why not just follow our tradition?" I'd say it depends on whose tradition and what it directs, and that it is not automatically judged pure just because it came from the east and not the west.

Again, that would depend on one's view of how tradition should develop in the Church. Latin traditions are not "unpure." Byzantine traditions are not "more pure" than Latin traditions. Byzantine traditions are own own.

S
S
Latin traditions are not "unpure."

Of course not. That said, an increasing number of Latin priests and theologians are beginning to question the use of stamped-out, paper-thin hosts that are barely recognizable as bread, leavened or unleavened. I would not be surprised to see the Latin Church begin to take seriously once more the breaking of the bread by reverting to use of loaves more akin to the unleavened bread of the orient, which can be gnawed in the manner that Jesus told us we had to gnaw the flesh of the Son of Man.

ajk Offline

This might serve as the basis of another thread. This thread supposes that the Byzantine prosphora tradition is normative. Another thread could examine whether we should change that tradition to breaking bread instead of cutting the bread as the rubrics now say.
I certainly defer to your view on the purpose of this thread since you are the originator. I don't mean to be harsh, but as explained here the topic seems to me self-serving: the verdict is in, no more looking at the evidence. In fact, while I too see the pre-cuts as a problematic issue, I took the devil's advocate approach (as I noted) because I thought the big picture was being missed. Narrowing the thread to a forgone conclusion basically excludes the big picture, and it's just a case of all who agree supporting the one conclusion.

Also, just to be clear, the rubrics speak overwhelmingly of breaking and nothing of cutting at the fraction rite of the liturgy. Those rubrics conform to the most primitive tradition of the prototype: what we are informed by scripture and the practice of the Church that Jesus Himself did. So I'm suggesting that's a tradition that in also Tradition; and if there is exclusive cutting and no breaking, then that tradition must yield to Tradition, no matter how Orthodox and widespread the source.

Also, reviewing the initial post, there may be a misunderstanding. There it is said:
However, I was told that in one of our Eparchy's parishes that the priest there does not use pre-cut pieces, but uses whole prosphora loaves and when he does the Proskomedia he actually cuts the Lamb out and does the prescribed cuttings of that service.
Using pre-cuts and that the priest "uses whole prosphora loaves and when he does the Proskomedia he actually cuts the Lamb out and does the prescribed cuttings of that service" are not mutually exclusive. Nor does the use of pre-cuts, per se, exclude that all that is prescribed in the liturgicon (including the proskomedia) is not in some way done.

DTBrown Offline OP
OP Offline
I certainly defer to your view on the purpose of this thread since you are the originator. I don't mean to be harsh, but as explained here the topic seems to me self-serving: the verdict is in, no more looking at the evidence. In fact, while I too see the pre-cuts as a problematic issue, I took the devil's advocate approach (as I noted) because I thought the big picture was being missed. Narrowing the thread to a forgone conclusion basically excludes the big picture, and it's just a case of all who agree supporting the one conclusion.

I appreciate your input, but I do not consider the topic self-serving. I accept as a given the principle that we are called to be faithful to our own liturgical tradition as expressed in various Church documents. Your approach seems to suggest these should be examined critically and changed. That's the stuff that fits in another thread, IMO. This thread is about Byzantine Catholics returning to their own tradition--not beginning a new one.

Also, just to be clear, the rubrics speak overwhelmingly of breaking and nothing of cutting at the fraction rite of the liturgy. Those rubrics conform to the most primitive tradition of the prototype: what we are informed by scripture and the practice of the Church that Jesus Himself did. So I'm suggesting that's a tradition that in also Tradition; and if there is exclusive cutting and no breaking, then that tradition must yield to Tradition, no matter how Orthodox and widespread the source.

I never suggested exclusive cutting. As I understand, the clergy receive by breaking Bread from the Lamb. How the portion of the Lamb is to be put into the Chalice for the people is not spelled out (as far as I know). Perhaps others can elaborate?

Using pre-cuts and that the priest "uses whole prosphora loaves and when he does the Proskomedia he actually cuts the Lamb out and does the prescribed cuttings of that service" are not mutually exclusive. Nor does the use of pre-cuts, per se, exclude that all that is prescribed in the liturgicon (including the proskomedia) is not in some way done.

Whole prosphora loaves are not used when pre-cut pieces are used. In very many parishes that use pre-cuts there is no seal used on the bread. You are correct in saying that some usages of pre-cuts attempt to "in some way" do all that is prescribed.

I still believe the Byzantine prosphora tradition is more fitted to our liturgical celebration.

DTBrown Offline OP
OP Offline
Also, the quote from Fr. David gave me some pause, especially where he states "I have striven to make [the 1941 Ruthenian Sluzhebnik] my ultimate model, and to eliminate all latinizations from Ruthenian practice." Considering his role and defense of the RDL, I'm not sure what to make of it. Perhaps, one can unabashedly decimate the liturgicon in content and expression as long as there is the intent and appearance of getting rid of those damned latinizations. But all that's really accomplished is the throwing out of the baby with the bath-water.

I quoted Fr. David in support of the claim that the use of pre-cuts is a latinization in our Church. This is not a thread on the Revised Divine Liturgy and I do not want to have the discussion side-tracked onto that subject.

I believe it's important for us to recover our own traditions and appreciate the beauty of our own tradition. That was the sentiment in choosing the title of this thread: "Byzantine Catholics Returning to Prosphora Traditions."

DTBrown Offline OP
OP Offline
I've been looking for material on the web that could be used to develop catechesis regarding Byzantine prosphora traditions. I found these two pages from St Elias in Ontario:

Proskomidia [saintelias.com]

Prosphora [saintelias.com]

I particularly like the idea of being able to offer a prosphora loaf that could have a particle removed to offer up in the Divine Liturgy. I'm just wondering, how often does that happen in parish churches? Is this something that happens very often in Orthodox parishes? Or, is this rare there too?

ajk Offline
... As I understand, the clergy receive by breaking Bread from the Lamb. How the portion of the Lamb is to be put into the Chalice for the people is not spelled out (as far as I know). Perhaps others can elaborate?
It is spelled out; see previous post, link .

DTBrown Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks. I meant, how are the pieces of the Lamb broken that are put into the chalice?

ajk Offline
Whole prosphora loaves are not used when pre-cut pieces are used.
This is not correct as a blanket statement.

In very many parishes that use pre-cuts there is no seal used on the bread.
I can believe that.

You are correct in saying that some usages of pre-cuts attempt to "in some way" do all that is prescribed.
ok, but I said nothing about "attempt." What I said:
Nor does the use of pre-cuts, per se, exclude that all that is prescribed in the liturgicon (including the proskomedia) is not in some way done.
The "in some way" only referred to the fact that not all the pieces for the communion of the people would be broken from the lamb; some, perhaps most, would be the pre-cuts. Otherwise the entire service could be entirely as in the book.

DTBrown Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: DTBrown
Whole prosphora loaves are not used when pre-cut pieces are used.
This is not correct as a blanket statement.

I've never seen a proskomedia service that used pre-cuts have a whole prosphora loaf present to be cut up.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.