The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll, Bradford Roman, Pd1989
5,991 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bishop Titus), 551 guests, and 52 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,392
Posts416,746
Members5,991
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Administrator
Administrator
Well ajk,

I respectfully disagree with your comments. How many calendar threads do we need to see going? This at least the third this calendar year, and some the arguments being used are re-hashes and maybe the lack of responses is due to many just being tired of the same thing constantly. So you wanted a ruling and now I am the third to disagree with you. I also feel that you are using this topic as a soap box since it is a repeat of comments made in other threads of the same nature before, and that I do not offer any apology for that.

I am personally sick of seeing this issue being brought up repeatedly. If there was something that was of value, then it might be worthwhile.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
The calendar issue = big yawn!

Ray

O
O
oh please - let's have peace from this continual hashing / bashing over the Calendars .

I'm sure there was one in the Onion Dome that was far more interesting than the ones we get here

off to search the archives

John
John
I agree with the facts posted by Deacon Tony, but I also know that for many their position on the calendar issue is one of emotion, not of real theology or science. I don't see anyone being convinced either way. I can appreciate the idea (posed by Stuart and others in the various discussions) to match the calendar in use by the Orthodox, but even that would be difficult (given the use of both the Julian and Revised Julian Calendars).

I can appreciate and agree with Father David ("The Calendar is an integrated whole of 365/6 days and how they interact with the Paschal Cycle with the Typikon that is the issue.") If I were to develop that I would say that the such is possible with any seven day calendar. The Church simply took the civil calendar of the day and 'baptized' it with meaning just like the Slavs took the pagan eggs and 'baptized' them to give them new meaning as pysanky.

I generally favor the Alepppo agreement (or, what I would say is the Julian cycle but using an astronomical date of the equinox at Jerusalem rather then a calculated one). But the Churches just are not ready for any change, and we have seen change split parishes. So for now I'd say polite education is the best one can do and to keep praying.

L
L
Naturally, the Gregorian calendar has little to recommend itself to Orthodox Christians. It is bad enough that it was introduced by Pope Gregory XIII, Bishop of Rome, but it is even worse that it was imposed on the Russian people by the atheist Communist regime. Thus, it is no surprise that Orthodox Christians are sceptical.

Nevertheless, the Julian calendar is slowly but surely getting more and more out of whack with the seasons, so that eventually Holy Pascha will have to be celebrated in the summer, making it a truly moveable feast!

As a Roman Catholic, I am happy to follow the astronomically more accurate calendar of Pope Gregory XIII. Indeed, I would expect this calendar very gradually to be accepted by Greek Catholic and Orthodox Christians too, for the simple reason that it makes more sense to use a calendar which ensures that the months correspond to the seasons.

For the time being, though, I am quite happy to see many Greek Catholic and Orthodox Christians adhering to the Julian calendar. That way, we get to celebrate Easter twice a year! smile

ajk Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Father Anthony
Well ajk,

I respectfully disagree with your comments. How many calendar threads do we need to see going? This at least the third this calendar year, and some the arguments being used are re-hashes and maybe the lack of responses is due to many just being tired of the same thing constantly. So you wanted a ruling and now I am he third to disagree with you.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+
Administrator

What? I didn't ask for a "ruling."

From the other thread:

Originally Posted by Father Anthony
OK, we are getting off-topic here by bringing in issues that have nothing to do with the topic or the original post. If you would like to start another calendar thread which can go with all the others, please do so in the appropriate area of the forum...

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+
Administrator

"start another calendar thread": I started another thread where the calendar is but one part.

Those who don't want to participate need not. Perhaps there is no interest; perhaps those who should be answering have no answer. I'd rather not speculate either way.

I am disappointed that the legitimacy of a topic, based on the initially uncontested words of another, only now becomes the issue, and one that is hijacking the thread. It really is off-topic.

ajk Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by 70x7
The calendar issue = big yawn!

Ray
Try participating; I guarantee you won't be yawning.

F
F
Those of us who love the Old Calendar and do not propose to abandon it are unlikely to change our view. I've stated my own position repeatedly.

Fr. Serge

Administrator
Administrator
AJK,

I am going to be rather blunt, your attitude on your two last posts is both rude and disrespectful. If you were not interested in how folks felt about this, then what was your point in posting this thread, just to get your say in the matter? It seems that the only ones you are singling out for your anger and rudeness in this thread are the Orthodox for the last few posts, and if you want examples I will quote you verbatim to back it up. I noticed none of the Catholic posters had the same type of reply given to them.

People are expressing their feeling legitimately, and your posts are rude in return. I believe an apology is expected immediately.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+
Administrator

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
O
O
I really can't see any sense in continually debating this - both sides have their valid arguments .

Those folk who prefer one calendar to the other have stated so often enough .

Why start another debate ? It's not as if it's going to get anywhere .

L
L
I respect the fact that many people love the Julian calendar. I do not feel this is a problem at all. What worries me is that some people seem to deny the validity of the Gregorian calendar and claim that only the Julian calendar can provide the date for "real" Pascha. I recall Fr. Serge's comment in another thread about Western Christians celebrating Pascha on Palm Sunday this year. This kind of attitude tends to alienate me from Eastern Christianity. I do not think the followers of the Julian calendar have a monopoly on the "real" celebration of Pascha.

O
O
Latin Catholic - may I make a personal plea to you ?

Please work out your post before you hit the submit button - that's 3 very different variations on a post now - I'm getting confused .

L
L
Originally Posted by Our Lady's slave
Latin Catholic - may I make a personal plea to you ?

Please work out your post before you hit the submit button - that's 3 very different variations on a post now - I'm getting confused .
Sorry! I'm afraid I do that a lot.

O
O
Originally Posted by Latin Catholic

I know frown

L
L
Originally Posted by Our Lady's slave
Originally Posted by Latin Catholic

I know frown
Still, after 20 minutes you can be certain there will be no more revisions.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.