The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J
Great website. Many years for Fr. Jack and the Resurrection community!!!

RE: PDFs

We post our Sunday bulletins as PDFs to our website ( Epiphany of Our Lord Byzantine Mission [montgomerybyz.org] ). This allows us to use graphics/color and still keep the file reasonably small. Both Word (newer versions) and Word Publisher have options to save as PDF. You can also load a free program called CuteWriter, which will save files as PDFs. Whether or not you convert files to PDFs, make sure that when using photos, etc., compress the file size and designate the graphics are for web display, else you can end up with very BIG files.

AND...

Don't forget the value of having hotlinks in your online bulletin. An online bulletin also cuts down on number of bulletins needing to be printed. Because we post the Sunday bulletin the Friday/Saturday prior, folks often read the bulletin online and don't always bother with the paper copy.

Another nice website is www.stemilian.com [stemilian.com] which is the site for St. Emilian parish in Brunswick, Ohio. It has some interesting links including Youtube.

J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J
Here is the parish website I am fond of... St. John's (ACROD) Stratford, CT (Silver Lane) [stjohnsilverlane.net]

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Job,

Very nice indeed - I'm having a bit of an issue w/ the menu bar, as the component pieces of multi-word tabs appear to overlay one another, but that might be IE. My only critique would be that the calendar is so large as to require scrolling to the right - which might not be the case w/ a wider monitor than I'm using at present.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J
Neil,

I experience the same issues you have mentioned.

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Links were posted twice yesterday to an Orthodox (GOAA) parish in Prescott, AZ - once in the Prayer thread for Father Archimandrite Gabriel (Cooke) and once in the F&W thread on Proskomedia - and I decided to check it out. It took only a glance to realize that a link to it belonged in this thread.

The website [prescottorthodox.org] is extremely professional, up-to-date, and informative - one of the best that I've seen and well worth a look by anyone contemplating what they might aspire to do with their own parish website.

I must admit one bit of curiousity. Although I searched rather diligently (I think), I was not able to determine the parish's patronal name - everything I read referred only to the Eastern Orthodox Church of Prescott.

Some quick research seems to confirm that it's the sole EO temple in Prescott and, therefore, it likely serves a pan-Orthodox congregation, but it seems odd to not have a patronal name attached. It's not like they are trying to disguise their GOAA affiliation - doesn't take a lot to spot that - and if the point is to be welcoming to non-Greeks, there are lots of Eastern Saints whose popularity crosses ethnic lines and would be welcoming to most any Eastern Christian.

Just struck me a bit odd.

Many years,

Neil

Addendum: On the website of the Metropolis, it is listed only as the Greek Orthodox Church of Prescott. Offhand, I can't think of any others so styled.

Last edited by Irish Melkite; 09/15/09 09:36 AM.

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
P
P
Irish,

Thanks for the kind comments. I did it during my vacation this year. (I do it for others too - http://logoswebservices.com).

We have not had a patron saint approved yet - still waiting.

In the meantime, we are still the Eastern Orthodox Church of Prescott (http://prescottorthodox.org).

sigh.

The website of St. Michael's Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church of Shenandoah. The first Greek-Catholic parish in the United States. I think it's new.

http://www.first-ukrainian.com/

I was recently reading a blog by someone from the Prescott church. They are waiting for a blessing by the bishop before they use their patronal name.

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
McPhelan,

Nice website indeed at St Emilian's - very attractive and a lot of info available (the bulletin loads slowly, but is extremely well done). The photos and other info presented make clear that this is a very vibrant parish - important to those who are seeking a church to be both their spiritual home and a place of community. It's also a draw to those passing through an area who are deciding where to visit and worship while there.

Mateusz,

You're correct - the Shenandoah website is new, only 3 weeks old as a matter of fact. It's still under development and understandably has kinks (for instance, clicking thumbnails doesn't deliver an enlarged photo as promised frown ).

The photo gallery is very nice and as the info on the various pages is elaborated, I think the site is going to be a worthy representation of the first UGCC parish in the US. Btw, the 125th anniversary commemorative shirts that they offer (in yellow and blue, naturally) are very attractive smile ).

Many years,

Neil

T
T
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
... the Shenandoah website is new, only 3 weeks old as a matter of fact. It's still under development and understandably has kinks (for instance, clicking thumbnails doesn't deliver an enlarged photo as promised ...

Look at the gallery and click the photos there.

The new mosaics add a lot to the exterior of the Church.

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Two Lungs
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
... clicking thumbnails doesn't deliver an enlarged photo as promised ...

Look at the gallery and click the photos there.

John,

Tried that the first time, nada - now I can't find the Gallery link to try it again confused

Mnny years,

Neil, who just noticed the page Welcome to this Holy House [first-ukrainian.com] - very nice indeed.

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
In the course of helping our brother, Booth, locate info on St John's UGCC in Syracuse, we happened to discuss his home parish - St NIcholas in Watervliet (NY) and I chanced to look at its website [cerkva.com] - another very informative one.

Many years,

Neil

Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.