The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 326 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#336997 11/11/09 05:55 PM
P
OP Offline
P
CatholicMatch.com [catholicmatch.com]
My wife saw this on Drudge this morning, and it is clearly not a Catholic Church - not even an Eastern Rite one. They carefully don't show the priest (which would give it away).

This has to be a Russian Orthodox Church.

Surely, if you are trolling for Catholic singles, you can show a Catholic church? Yes?

O
O
'scuse me !

Why not an EC Church ? Nowt wrong with that Iconostasis - could be either EC or EO

It's just , I suspect , a stock photo which looks good

S
S
The feel of the decorations around the iconstasis, and the presence of what seems like a stained glass window in the sanctuary, leads me to believe it is a Greek Catholic church, probably Ukrainian, probably in Canada.

StuartK #337026 11/11/09 10:38 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I'm just speaking from my experience, but I'm quite sure it is not an EC Church. I've seen EC Churches and Ukrainian Churches. They usually have a more open iconostasis, and never resemble a class Russian Cathedral, as this does. IMHO, this has Russian Orthodox written all over it.

Specifically, I've only seen the sky high iconostasis in Russian Churches.

I'll happily be corrected, but I'm pretty sure it is an Orthodox church. Again, if anyone knows specifically what parish it is, I'll be happily corrected.

On another note, it is kind of disingenuous to portray this photo on a Catholic Match site.

S
S
I've only seen the sky high iconostasis in Russian Churches.

I was in L'viv this past summer studying Ukrainian, and saw Iconostasis like this one in a few churches: EC; not EO.

I suspect it could well be as StuartK describes.

Slavophile #337032 11/11/09 11:44 PM
S
S
On another note, it is kind of disingenuous to portray this photo on a Catholic Match site.

So, what are we? Chopped liver? I could be cruel and suggest they wanted a church that really looked like a church.

StuartK #337035 11/12/09 12:20 AM
Actually, if you look close at the icon next to the Deacon door on the right, it appears to be an icon of St Iov of Pochaev. Which would kind of rule out it being an EC iconostas.

I know that this is fun wondering about what kind of church is in the picture, but how about cracking the mystery by e-mailing these people!?

Ray

John
John
The photo could be of either a Byzantine / Greek Catholic or an Orthodox temple (I have no idea). If you look through the holy doors at that site it looks like a very western Savior in what seems to be a stained glass window. But that again could be in either a Byzantine Catholic or Orthodox temple.

Higher tiered icon screens are not that unusual in Byzantine Catholic Churches.

This thread has a photo of the original icon screen from Windber. They style was almost universal in the churches built late 19th and early 20th century.

Here is one at St. George the Great Martyr Byzantine Catholic Church in Aliquippa (not the best picture and before the walls were done):
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Prester John
I'm just speaking from my experience, but I'm quite sure it is not an EC Church. I've seen EC Churches and Ukrainian Churches. They usually have a more open iconostasis, and never resemble a class Russian Cathedral, as this does. IMHO, this has Russian Orthodox written all over it.

Specifically, I've only seen the sky high iconostasis in Russian Churches.

I'll happily be corrected, but I'm pretty sure it is an Orthodox church. Again, if anyone knows specifically what parish it is, I'll be happily corrected.

I cannot say which Church the one in the picture belongs to, but I have certainly seen Greek Catholic Churches that look exactly like that. I have also seen Orthodox Churches with a more open icon screen like many Greek Catholic Churches have.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Father John,

There are some Greek Catholic churches that have a very traditional (even sky-high) iconostas. Some Greek Catholic parishes have a more open iconostas but there are some (even newer parishes) that have a more traditional look. Next time you're in the Phoenix-Mesa area, look up St. Thomas Byzantine Catholic Church in Gilbert. It's quite a beautiful temple (and my former spiritual home). It's interior dates from the early 90s.

Originally Posted by Prester John
CatholicMatch.com [catholicmatch.com]
My wife saw this on Drudge this morning, and it is clearly not a Catholic Church - not even an Eastern Rite one. They carefully don't show the priest (which would give it away).

This has to be a Russian Orthodox Church.

Surely, if you are trolling for Catholic singles, you can show a Catholic church? Yes?

Not sure why showing the priest would give it away. I know many Greek Catholic priests with full beards and that wear highback phelons. I also know many clean shaven Russian Orthodox priests that wear Greek style phelons.

Perhaps a bigger giveaway are those bare shoulders on the bride.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Just say its an "Orthodox Greek Catholic" Church and call it a day. LOL! ;-)

70x7 #337045 11/12/09 02:47 AM
S
S
I think it should be Greek Catholic Orthodox Church.

StuartK #337047 11/12/09 03:52 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Brethren, I stand corrected - and want to assure you that I was speaking from my own experience of such Churches.

Thanks also for your kind and good-humored responses!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.