The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Dear Neil,

I think the 'angels' all look very nice, and it probably makes them feel very important within the church family for that day. smile

It seems that this is a very ingrained tradition in the Melkite tradition (?)... Is there partaking of the Eucharist from infancy as well, or is this indeed the first Communion?

Alice

S
S
I don't know why the "Solemn Communion" thing exists - even as a transitional thing to eliminating references to "First Communion" it creates misunderstanding. This is not relegated to the UGCC as I have also seen this done in a Melkite parish.

My children receive every week. But seeing as my daughter is approaching 'that age', and seeing all her friends at the Roman Catholic school she attends undertaking preparation for their First Holy Communion, it could be helpful for her to think of herself as reaching a landmark. It's just that, for her, the landmark happens to be her first confession.

That is certainly how our priest wants her to think about it.

Infants and small children regularly receive communion at my UGCC parish in Northern California.

F
F
As is my usual practice, today I communicated several young children. No one complained; no one even remarked upon it.

Fr. Serge

D
D
Originally Posted by Fr Serge Keleher
As is my usual practice, today I communicated several young children. No one complained; no one even remarked upon it.

We do it every week, multiple times. I manage to weasel the cloth to their chins, and Father manages to pour a bit in to the younger. I can only think of on infant that has offered any resistance.

Today it took a bit of effort to turn the heads of the very young ones we baptized, chrimated, and communed last week so that Father could get to their mouths, but . . .

OTOH, we have a handful of small ones who have never been communed and are blessed each week.

And Father does do some preparation of those who are old enough to understand, but have already been baptized, before communing & chrismating.

hawk

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Alice
Dear Neil,

I think the 'angels' all look very nice, and it probably makes them feel very important within the church family for that day. smile

It seems that this is a very ingrained tradition in the Melkite tradition (?)... Is there partaking of the Eucharist from infancy as well, or is this indeed the first Communion?

Alice,

No, this is not an ingrained tradition. Since the time of Archbishop Joseph's installation as the second US exarch, back in 1969, infant communion has been the norm. However, during the decades prior to that, when latinization was rampant, infant communion was relatively uncommon.

I can't say with certainty, but I believe most, if not all, of these children were communed as infants. To my mind, however, the focus here was not truly their first reception of the Mystery of Reconciliation, but a faux 'First' Communion - 'First Solemn Communion' - whatever one chooses to call it. In truth, the biggest enthusiasm for such appears to be on the part of the newly immigrated, moreso than those who have been here for several generations.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.