The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Just a note - we had some discussion of this same photo very recently on the Forum's Photo Gallery - see here.

Notably, we reached no conclusion at that time either. I will say, though, that, in viewing it again, I am really find myself wondering if it's been photoshopped to insert the couple.

The very recently suppressed Holy Ghost Byzantine Church in Cleveland is a striking example of a floor to ceiling iconostasis - see here.

I suspect that Father John's experience and exposure may have been colored by his location. Having viewed photos of several hundred iconostases in the past two years of working on the Directory, the more solid and higher ones are generally to be found in the East and Upper Midwest - particularly the 'Holy Lands' of the Coal and Rust Belts - whereas those in the Southwest are more likely to be open and/or shorter in height.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
A
A
Fr. John: St. Nicholas of Myra has a full height iconostas, and it's Ruthenian...

We used to have the "open" style, in fact, it was just ironwork and completely visible through, save for the 4 main icons. But many UGCC and Ruthenian parishes with the more open style have since installed/reinstalled more traditional iconostas.

aramis #337780 11/21/09 05:48 AM
P
OP Offline
P
For the record, most all of the EC Churches I've been in are in the east or midwest.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Prester John
For the record, most all of the EC Churches I've been in are in the east or midwest.

Oh well, so much for guessing biggrin

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
The railings in front of the iconostasis is not seen in many churches today. That might be a clue.

S
S
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
Notably, we reached no conclusion at that time either. I will say, though, that, in viewing it again, I am really find myself wondering if it's been photoshopped to insert the couple.
Oddities of lighting in the image cause me to think the couple in the ad are indeed graffed in from a different picture. It looks to me like just another photoshop job.

τω συστρατιωτης

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Pavel Ivanovich
The railings in front of the iconostasis is not seen in many churches today. That might be a clue.

Nice catch, Paul.

aramis #337876 11/22/09 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by aramis
Fr. John: St. Nicholas of Myra has a full height iconostas, and it's Ruthenian...

We used to have the "open" style, in fact, it was just ironwork and completely visible through, save for the 4 main icons. But many UGCC and Ruthenian parishes with the more open style have since installed/reinstalled more traditional iconostas.

Ours is still the form you mentioned. Looks strange now that we are doing the walls.

A
A
In some ways, I miss the old Ironwork; It had several stages...
Stage 0: mosaic icons to either side of sanctuary (Pantocrator, Theotokos), no iconostasis at all. Sanctuary has mosaic icon of cross with crucifix mounted in front.
Stage 1: Just the ironwork, with doors; Icons still present
Stage 2: Add Pantocrator and Theotokos Icons on iconostas
Stage 3: Add Sts Nicholas of Myra and John the Forerunner on iconostas
Stage 4 (New Iconostas stage 1): replace with wooden iconostasis and doors, but missing upper icons, and using old icons
Stage 5 (Stage 2): Upper frame added, 4 great Icons on iconostas replaced, mosaic icons remain to sides, mosaic & crucifix in sanctuary remains. Nothing of old Iconostas remains in use.

New Iconostas has since had upper rack and door icons added a few at a time as the Iconographer completed them.

70x7 #338449 11/28/09 05:09 PM
G
G
Originally Posted by 70x7
I know that this is fun wondering about what kind of church is in the picture, but how about cracking the mystery by e-mailing these people!?

Ray

There doesn't appear to be an e-mail address on their site. I could only find a link where you can ask a question by "submitting a ticket": http://www.catholicmatch.com/help/ticket.html

70x7 #338625 12/01/09 07:18 PM
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by 70x7
I know that this is fun wondering about what kind of church is in the picture, but how about cracking the mystery by e-mailing these people!?

How un-Byzantine, Ray biggrin

G
G
I sent an email to Catholicmatch.com about the church used in their advertising.

This was their response:

This church photo is a stock photo that we used, and we do not know where it came from. We purchased the rights to use the photo because of it's architectural beauty. We're not sure whether the church is Byzantine or Eastern Orthodox. We do not know the location or name of the church.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Griego,

I saw that identical response elsewhere. They've certainly gotten their money's worth from the photo - it has attracted attention, commentary, and analysis on OC.net, CAF, and at least one other site besides here - as well as on a couple of blogs.

Btw, as to the question of it being photoshopped, two friends of mine, both quite expert at such things, idependently examined it closely. Both assured me that it is not; each pointed out that detail of the iconostasis can be viewed through the diaphanous texture of the bride's veil as the basis for their conclusion.

Many years,

Neil

C
C
I also believe it to be photo shopped. I have some more questions about this.
1. Where are the sponsors?
2. Where are the crowns?
3. Where is the table with gospel, wedding chalice and icons on it?
4. And we have already covered where is the priest?

G
G
Thanks to Asteriktos from OrthodoxChristianity.net [orthodoxchristianity.net], there are some answers to the CatholicMatch.com photo.
You can see more photos of the church here. [123rf.com] We can rule out that the photos were photo-shopped.

The photographer is a Ms. Tatiana Morozova from Moscow, Russia. An email has been sent to the photographer to enquire where she took these photos. No response as yet.
The priest shown at the wedding wears a Russian-style phelonion. Although the location of this church is yet to be known, I would say it is reasonable to deduce that it is not a Byzantine Catholic parish, but Russian Orthodox.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.