The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#338255 11/26/09 04:46 AM
OP Offline
Happy Turkey Day to those Americans on the Orthodox Calendar and Happy Tofu Day to those on the new Calendar! Don't eat too much!

Alexandr

Thanks! But it's not Turkey Day, It's Thanksgiving Day.

As Americans we do not fast on Thanksgiving, we feast! Well, I'm working until Friday morning but my wife is bring dinner to the ambulance station so we can feast a little.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

James

Originally Posted by Didymus
As Americans we do not fast on Thanksgiving, we feast! Well, I'm working until Friday morning but my wife is bring dinner to the ambulance station so we can feast a little.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

James

You're an EMT! Great. I'm a nurse. A local resteraunt just dropped off dinner for 15 ppl as a gift to the ER staff and EMT's working tonight...really mad eour night.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
A happy and blessed Thanksgiving to everyone

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
OP Offline

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

James

As Christians, Orthodox or Catholic, we fast during the Nativity Fast. And if you are on the Revised Julian or the Gregorian Calendar, you are well into the Fast. I guess it depends on what you hold dearer, your faith or your nationality.

Alexandr

In some Orthodox jurisdictions like mine, because Thanksgiving is the only American holiday observed by all Americans regardless of race, ethnicity or creed, and because it is primarily a day which we set aside to thank God and to enjoy His bounties in a traditional manner with beloved family, we have dispensation from the fast for the day...

I know this may be anathema to certain other Orthodox, but it should be remembered that if we judge, then we might as well not fast, for it is the heart and from the heart, what comes out of the mouth, (the letter of the spirit rather than the word) which is more important than what goes in....

Having said that, I do wish all those here a most blessed and joyous Thanksgiving day to our Lord for all his many gifts and blessings which He has bestowed on our nation and on each and every one of us individually.

Alice smile

A
A
Further, not all jurisdictions impose fat on all days of St. Phillip's Fast; The Ruthenians traditionally fast Monday-Wednesday-Friday (and no meat, dairy, oil, wine)... and Thanksgiving is always a Thursday. Now, it's been typical for a lesser regimen (Fridays, and simply no meat, the usual minimum) to be prescribed, and more encouraged. It's also traditional for the Eparch of Van Nuys to dispense all of his flock who attend thanksgiving day liturgy from the friday after so that leftovers may be eaten...

O
O
Enjoy your day with your family folks biggrin

Happy Thanksgiving Day

BTW - for those travelling to be with friends /family surely economia would apply ?

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Americans on the forum.

cool

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

James

Our local Episcopal Church is providing a Thanksgiving turkey dinner for all emergency responders for about four hours today; drop in between calls. This is about the third or fourth year for this expression of thanks for those who labor on behalf of others.

That's wonderful. I'm thankful that we have not had anyone seriously ill or hurt today.

I pray for the continued safety of the families in our service area and for the safety of all familes. I pray for those who are alone, and those who are in need. I pray for police, fire, and EMS in the bigger cities that may feel overwhelmed today and wish they were home with their families.

M
M
economia only applies to chocolate!! grin

Prayers and wishing a Happy Thanksgiving Day to all in the military and their families...

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
Us Latins have no Fast on Thanksgiving so my wife prepared a delicious *traditional Thanksgiving Day dinner.

*Traditional meaning according to the usage of the 1941 law signed by President Roosevelt making it a Federal Holiday.

(If we were really celebrating the First Thanksgiving we would have garbanzo beans and clams that the Conquistadors had on the REAL first Thanksgiving in St. Augustine, Florida on 8 September 1565 under Pedro Menéndez de Avilés or, depending on your definition, on 30 April 1598 in New Mexico under Don Juan de Oñate in which they had fish, cranes, ducks, and geese.)

Last edited by Dr. Eric; 11/27/09 05:29 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.