The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#340225 12/29/09 12:15 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I kind of like that picture smile

[Linked Image] [img39.imageshack.us]

(Is it Serbia or Russia?)

L
L

If it's Kosovo (and I'm guessing it is) it might come in handy against the guys in the blue berets.

I find it offensive. I thought that I read somewhere that according to Basil the Great, priests were forbidden to take up arms for war, which I'm assuming this picture is alluding to; but I may be wrong about this canon.

From the life of St Sergius
"As he blessed Dmitry, Father Sergius said the following: "Go without fear! God will help you and you'll come back victorious." Father Sergius gave Prince Dmitry two warrior monks, brothers Alexander Peresvet and Andrei Oslyabya, whose courage could serve a good example for his army. Prince Dmitry led his army to the Don, where it clashed with Tatars on September 8th 1380.
As it were, two warriors came over to a strip of land separating the armies - Russian warrior monk Peresvet and Tatar warrior Chelubei. Peresvet was rushing forward, spear in hand, with his black monastic robe embroidered with white crosses billowing behind him. He was not wearing any armor under his robe, only a heavy iron cross. To the loud sounds of encouragement from their fellow fighters both warriors struck each other with heavy spears and dropped dead on the spot. The end of a one-to-one fight signaled the beginning of the battle."

Alexandr

Canon 83 of the Holy Apostles

"If any Bishop, or Priest, or Deacon is engaged in military matters, and wishes to hold both a Roman (i.e.; civil) and a holy office, let him be deposed. For "render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar’s; and unto God the things that are God’s" (Matthew 22:21).

And what do you interpret that particular canon to mean?

There are no canons about Holding a weapon. .. Im quite sure he wasn't shooting anyone!

I believe the troops in back are wearing Russian uniform, though I'm unaware of any mission where Russian troops wear the blue beret. The machine gun the priest is holding is an WWII American design.

For what it's worth, there are canons you can quote to condemn or support a number of issues. Regardless, this priest most certainly isn't taking up arms or using the machine gun for anything besides a fun pose - the weapon's not loaded, nor is it practical to use it like that.

MarkosC #340279 12/30/09 05:34 AM
I still find it offensive, especially with the thread title of "Church Militant." It does not portray a very Christian image.

L
L

I initially thought they were UN, but now that I noticed the striped undershirt, I think they are Russian, so my comment probably no longer applies.

Russian troops have served in Kosovo as part of the UN commitment. I am not sure if they have also been to Bosnia as well.

cool

L
L

Russian troops were in Bosnia as well. In fact, the small group of about 200 Russian soldiers who took over the airport at Pristina in the middle of the night in June 1999, and who were nearly the source of open conflict between the USA and Russia, came over from Bosnia. Fortunately Sir Michael Jackson who was commanding British forces refused American general Wesley Clark orders to engage the Russian troops with the comment "I'm not going to start World War III"

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.