The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
What can anyone tell me about St Mary's Byzantine Chapel on US 130 in Robbinsville, NJ? I believe it is (or was) served from St Mary's in Trenton. Is it still extant?

Many years,

Neil

PS - is this, perhaps, a parish cemetery chapel?

Last edited by Irish Melkite; 12/23/09 08:28 AM. Reason: add postscript

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
S
S
St. Mary's Chapel in Robinsville was a branch of the main church in Trenton. It opened in the mid 1980's. It closed in 2004 the building is now a karate studio.

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Thanks storyteller, glad I didn't shut down the thread, though I'm now more confused. Do you happen to know if it was located on US130 or on Cedar Lane? Any landmark would be useful (I know, I ask weird questions - humor me crazy )

Many years,

Neil

Last edited by Irish Melkite; 12/24/09 06:42 AM.

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
S
S
The Chapel was located on US 130 North about a mile from where Rt 33 joins in. It is in Robinsville. Before the church on Rt 130 is an Radiator shop and then an auto repair shop and past the Church just a bit farther North on Rt 130 is a firehouse.
The cemetaries for the Assumption of the Virgin Mary Church are located off Cedar Lane.
Glad to be able to answer your questions. I am a lifelong member of St Mary's.

Christ is Born, Glorify Him
Steve

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Steve,

Let me pick your brain once more. I managed to get an exterior photo of the former chapel - you can see it here, but was it located on US 130S or US 130N? (I see that you say '130N' up above - but, see the reason for my confusion below)

I get conflicting info on the web - the karate studio's website says 1090 US Hwy 130S, but every other site that references the studio says 1141 US Hwy 130N. I've got to be down in that general area the end of the week and had just decided that I was going to have to detour over there to find out when I realized that you could, hopefully, clear up my confusion. (I'm wondering if they moved and forgot to update their website address.)

Many years,

Neil

S
S
The Chapel was on US 130 N. Maybe the studio moved.

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Thanks for all the help - very much appreciated.

Many years,

Neil

On "Google Earth" there appears to be a Byzantine chapel near 1132 NJ Route 33 in Robinsville. I don't know when this picture was taken.

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Steve,

I'm informed by one of the owners of the studio that they did indeed move across the road. Although they changed their address on their website, they never took down the exterior photo of the chapel.

Dr Henry,

That's it - 1132 is on the south side, 1141 (the chapel location) is opposite - on the northbound side.

Many years,

Neil

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.