The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#343643 02/16/10 04:59 AM
D
OP Offline
D
OK, so I know there are a zillion knocks against the RC church... but what about the EO church? (Other than the primacy of Rome)? What are the typical doctrinal & theological knocks agianst it?

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Dave,

If I've misunderstood your intent, I apologize, but ...

While you will receive answers - spiritual, doctrinal, and theological - as to why individuals have made their personal choices between Eastern or Oriental Catholicism versus Eastern or Oriental Orthodoxy - and vice-versa - I want to make clear from the outset that this forum is not one in which you are going to find a lot of folks 'knocking' one another's Churches. Albeit, titled 'Byzantine' = which suggests Catholic, Ruthenian in particular, that styling - which traces back to the site's origins - is a bit of a misnomer in these days.

Our membership represents a broad cross-section of Eastern and Oriental Christianity - Catholic and Orthodox - and is particularly notable for the respect that is both expected and generally accorded across ecclesial lines. If you want really want to pursue differences from the standpoint that you enunciated, I'd recomend a purportedly "EC" site - where 'bashing', if not in vogue, isn't fully discouraged. It is here.

We have, in both the recent and distant past, watched members here agonize spiritually over and make decisions to translate from the Catholic Church to the Orthodox Church and vice-versa (and, occasionally, elsewhere). In all those cases, we have prayed with them and for them in what is never an easy choice and asked that God bless them and give them joy in their new spiritual home. The majority of them are still with us, regardless of the decision that each made and the direction in which it took them and I believe that most of them would say that few, if any, denigrated their decision. This is not to say that any of us believe less fervantly in the faith of the Church that we each embrace, but that we recognize the God-loving faith of our fellow Eastern and Oriental Christians and our common spirituality.

I suggest reading Who We Are

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Irish Melkite #343656 02/16/10 08:46 AM
Sadly when I became Orthodox after being Catholic, one Catholic priest told me that "Orthodoxy is an ossified, archaeological jurisdiction with no theological progress since the schism".

However as Irish Melkite remarks correctly, while you might find me disagree with Roman posters (or even my ROCOR brethren in a recent post!), I would hope that I maintain sufficiently good relations with Catholics that I can do so in a spirit of better humour than was extended to me on my path to Orthodoxy.

Otsheylnik #343680 02/16/10 01:36 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Sorry I wasn't trying to cause trouble so to speak... but I definitely understand where you are coming from!

I guess I figure that every Christian Denomination/Religion/Church has some inherent weaknesses that make it less than perfect. I am looking for the one that fits me best.

Otsheylnik #343682 02/16/10 01:41 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Otsheylnik
Sadly when I became Orthodox after being Catholic, one Catholic priest told me that "Orthodoxy is an ossified, archaeological jurisdiction with no theological progress since the schism".
I would not agree with that Catholic priest's characterization, but I have heard someone else say this same thing, before. The person was a die-hard traditionalist latin rite Catholic.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Dave in McKinney
Sorry I wasn't trying to cause trouble so to speak... but I definitely understand where you are coming from!

I guess I figure that every Christian Denomination/Religion/Church has some inherent weaknesses that make it less than perfect. I am looking for the one that fits me best.

Dave,

Not a problem. I just wanted to be sure of where you were coming from. You are correct - because people are the Church, no Church can be fully perfect, no matter how contradictory that seems.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Irish Melkite #343691 02/16/10 03:14 PM
As an Orthodox, I joined this forum because I was studying in the St. Stephen's program, and it offered a private forum for the students.

I have stayed a member of this forum because I have learned so much from all of you and although I am occasionally sad at the level of disagreement, I think the moderators do a wonderful job in reminding all of us to remember our respect and caring for one another before we tackle the disagreements.

Nicole #343693 02/16/10 03:32 PM
I also joined because of the St Stephens forum, but have found this forum to be spiritually edifying. I have learned from many on this forum, especially the value of Christian charity While I continue to strongly disagree with my Western brothers on many theological issues I am not sure I am comfortable with the so called RC vs EO approach... It is not us vs them, rather it is vigorous and charitable debate on the points on which we disagree.

Just my 2 cents...

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Thank you, Nicole and Deacon Borislav, for your endorsement (not the best term, but sleep beckons and my mind rebels at trying to retrieve the word I want) of our efforts to maintain charity in all the discussions and debates here.

A blessed Fast to both of you.

Many years,

Neil

D
DMD Offline
D
Originally Posted by Deacon Borislav
I also joined because of the St Stephens forum, but have found this forum to be spiritually edifying. I have learned from many on this forum, especially the value of Christian charity While I continue to strongly disagree with my Western brothers on many theological issues I am not sure I am comfortable with the so called RC vs EO approach... It is not us vs them, rather it is vigorous and charitable debate on the points on which we disagree.

Just my 2 cents...

As well as an opportunity for all of us to recognize the substantive points upon which we agree!

Last edited by DMD; 02/16/10 03:55 PM.
DMD #343709 02/16/10 08:55 PM
Have you been to the local Orthodox parishes? St. Nicholas and St. Sava are close to McKinney.

Byzantine TX #343751 02/17/10 01:31 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Not yet... thinking about trying one this weekend... as they appear to be rather small they only have one service a weekend, or only one in English.

B
B
\\Sadly when I became Orthodox after being Catholic, one Catholic priest told me that "Orthodoxy is an ossified, archaeological jurisdiction with no theological progress since the schism". \\

if you get it right the first time, why change? (Wink!)

Otsheylnik #345164 03/13/10 04:32 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by Otsheylnik

I would have said the modern selling-out in practice and locally in teaching on contraception is Orthodoxy's big problem but yes, that seems to be a standard line, which points to the real, historic difference between the two sides, the scope of the Pope (development of doctrine on that or not?).

Interestingly that line against Orthodoxy (it's frozen and archaic) comes from both the RC right (surprisingly because it's the same thing the liberals throw at them) and the left (when they're not trying to be ecumenical).

T
T
Make that:

Which is surprising, because it's the same thing the liberals throw at them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.