The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
C
Ask a typical ethnic Ukrainian speaker about Russ and he will tell you to look it up in the history books. These people have 1000 years of culture and language distinct from modern Russia. They have felt themselves as a distinct nation long before the United States even existed. They need no help from the West in order to stir up nationalism. They only need bring to mind recent events of 20th century to create a desire to be apart from Russia (no, I am not anti Russian, just have a lot of experience in western half of Ukraine). Sorry, don't mean to stir things.

F
F
I've been in Moscow several times, but never bought any pirozhis (piroshki, pyrohy, vareniki) there, so I've no basis for an opinion of the matter!

Fr. Serge

XB

Father bless.

I've purchased piroshki at our local ROCOR parish's festival, but they were not pirohi. They were pastry filled with meat and baked. Quite good.

C
C
Father Bless,

Thank you again. I looked it up also and found that they already have and Orthodox Church and it is recognized by Moscow and the other Sees. This must be one of those nationalist things that we Americans dont understand. It goes without saying that if they have a thousand year history as some point out then we can also assume that they also have a church.

A
A
It's actually easy to understand: The Muscovite Patriarchate has attempted to suppress the Ukrainian liturgical praxis (The Kyivan liturgy) and replace it with the Nikonian Russian liturgy. In the same manner, Russian governments (both Tsarist and Soviet) have consistently tried to suppress the Ukrainian Language. The soviets sent a large number of Ukrainians to the Gulags for being upset about Russification of Ukrainian* Language and lifestyle.

It's a historical truth.

It's only sensible that the Ukrainian synod would ask for, and be denied, autocephaly by Russia. The hatred is long standing, irrational, and integrated into Russian culture. It's bigotry, pure and simple, but it's a socially acceptable one in Russia...

* Really, the differences in the ukrainian I've seen from russian are not that big. Yes, there are differences. But a ukrainian speaker avoiding idiomatic expressions should be intelligible to a russian, and vice versa... at least once they know the difference in pronunciation of certain letters...

OH my! Kyivan Liturgy? Replacing with Nikonian Recension? A historical truth according to who?

доколе будете любить суету?

Alexandr

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
Wow, this degraded into a Ukrainian versus Russian thread faster than these types of threads usually do. frown

E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Dr. Eric,

I think any discussion of Patriarch Filaret and the UOC-KP is necessarily one of Ukrainian nationalism.

S
S
Or Russian imperialism--take your choice.

E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Ukrainian nationalism as a reation to Russian imperialism?

S
S
They go together like pastrami and rye.

P
P
You can't blame Russia for imperialism, as they have no natural borders in the west, so expansion is the only way for them to maintain their state. It's just very basic geopolitics. Actually, the same applies to Ukraine.

When there's a conflict it doesn't necessarily mean that somebody is doing something wrong and somebody is guilty. It's just the way it is in an imperfect world. But that's just my humble opinion.

And yes, I know that we in Poland are next.

A
A
Originally Posted by Epiphanius
Dr. Eric,

I think any discussion of Patriarch Filaret and the UOC-KP is necessarily one of Ukrainian nationalism.
Originally Posted by StuartK
Or Russian imperialism--take your choice.
Originally Posted by Epiphanius
Ukrainian nationalism as a reation to Russian imperialism?

They are various facets of the same issue: the relationship of Moscow and Kyiv.

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
OY!

S
S
You can't blame Russia for imperialism, as they have no natural borders in the west, so expansion is the only way for them to maintain their state. It's just very basic geopolitics. Actually, the same applies to Ukraine.

So, where do they stop? At the Niemen? At the Oder-Neisse line? It's one vast plain until you get to North Sea. . .

The question begged here is who is Russia's enemy? Neither Ukraine nor Belarus have the military power nor the inclination to invade the Rodina. So is it the Poles? How about the Germans or the Danes?

The simple truth is Western Europe is utterly debellicized. The entire EU spends an average of just 2% of its GDP on military forces, and lacks the manpower, the equipment, and the willpower to project power beyond its own borders. Simply putting 50,000 men into Afghanistan has the NATO alliance at full stretch--and the Russians know this full well.

Western Europe has some 1.6 million men in uniform. Of these, only about 120,000 can be considered combat ready, and of those, only some 60,000 in all are "deployable". Russia has nothing to fear from its European neighbors.

Those who want to read more, go to my article Coalition of the Incapable [weeklystandard.com] . Though I wrote it almost three years ago, nothing much has changed. If anything, the situation has gotten worse due to the European financial crisis and subsequent recession,

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.