The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
I have heard talk that the octave of the Feast of the Great Pumpkin is a Lutheranization. Can anyone correlate this?

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by John K
I have heard talk that the octave of the Feast of the Great Pumpkin is a Lutheranization. Can anyone correlate this?
Indeed, Oct 31 is Protestantism's Reformation Day on which Luther is held by some to have posted his 95 Theses:
According to a report written by Philipp Melanchthon, Luther posted the Ninety-Five Theses at the Castle Church in Wittenberg, Germany on October 31, 1517. Some scholars have questioned the accuracy of this account, noting that no contemporaneous evidence exists for it.[2] Others have countered that no such evidence is necessary, because this action was the customary way of advertising an event on a university campus.[3] Church doors at the time functioned very much as bulletin boards. Still others suggest the posting may well have happened sometime in November 1517. When referring to the 95 Theses, it is nevertheless quite safe to say that they were posted on October 31, 1517, on a church door. The day of October 31 is All Hallow's Eve, and, since on the following day (All Saints) most people will go to church, posting his theses on this day makes sense.[3]
link [en.wikipedia.org]

For some strange reason, The Great Pumpkin is not mentioned in these accounts.

BTW, in our domestic church we have already observed a leave-taking of some lesser pumpkins and the subsequent seasonal eating of pumpkin muffins.

S
S
Indeed, Oct 31 is Protestantism's Reformation Day on which Luther is held by some to have posted his 95 Theses

If only the bishop had just given Marty some M&Ms or a Mars Bar. How history would have changed.

Originally Posted by ajk
Indeed, Oct 31 is Protestantism's Reformation Day on which Luther is held by some to have posted his 95 Theses:
According to a report written by Philipp Melanchthon, Luther posted the Ninety-Five Theses at the Castle Church in Wittenberg, Germany on October 31, 1517. Some scholars have questioned the accuracy of this account, noting that no contemporaneous evidence exists for it.[2] Others have countered that no such evidence is necessary, because this action was the customary way of advertising an event on a university campus.[3] Church doors at the time functioned very much as bulletin boards. Still others suggest the posting may well have happened sometime in November 1517. When referring to the 95 Theses, it is nevertheless quite safe to say that they were posted on October 31, 1517, on a church door. The day of October 31 is All Hallow's Eve, and, since on the following day (All Saints) most people will go to church, posting his theses on this day makes sense.[3]

As the resident Lutheran; let me clarify that the reason for posting the Theses on the door of the castle church on the Eve of All Hallow's had much to do with the fact that the monarch had a vast collection of sacred relics, which he would make available for public veneration annually at All Saint's Day.

Many of the relics had various indulgences connected with their veneration. The faithful would come to the castle church for this once-a-year display; obtaining indulgences would be very much on their minds. Therefore, posting an invitation to debate indulgences and the sale thereof was very well timed.

D
D
Originally Posted by ajk
That Fiscalion has an accumulating bias, and the pre-season that used to started the day after Thanksgiving has now, unfortunately, deteriorated to beginning even on Labor day as noted.

This may be resolved by proposals before the commissioner and the owners to move two games from the pre-season to the regular season . . .

D
D
Originally Posted by ajk

. . .

Further evidence the date is correct.

Just as Luther dismissed St. James, we shall dismiss this omission!

smile

F
F
One learns something frequently. I was under the impression that BYOB was part of an invitation to a fundamentalist prayer-meeting and means "Bring Your Own Bible"

John
OP Offline
John
Originally Posted by Thomas the Seeker
As the resident Lutheran; let me clarify that the reason for posting the Theses on the door of the castle church on the Eve of All Hallow's had much to do with the fact that the monarch had a vast collection of sacred relics, which he would make available for public veneration annually at All Saint's Day.

Many of the relics had various indulgences connected with their veneration. The faithful would come to the castle church for this once-a-year display; obtaining indulgences would be very much on their minds. Therefore, posting an invitation to debate indulgences and the sale thereof was very well timed.
I suppose some scholarly research would determine that there is an indulgence of sorts associated with waiting in sincere pumpkin patches on Halloween. I'm not sure I really want to know the details, but I'm guessing that Linus has racked up the more indulgences than any other sincere pumpkin patch sitter? I'm not sure about Sally. Was she waiting sincerely for the Great Pumpkin or was she just chasing after her great "Baboo"?

Neil, I really could use some of that wild turkey at this point....

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by ajk

Originally Posted by Thomas the Seeker

Originally Posted by Administrator
I suppose some scholarly research would determine...

Neil, I really could use some of that wild turkey at this point....

"Scholarly research" -- perhaps conjecture. Let me see: a very curious silence about the Great Pumpkin, AND YET, "...castle church on the Eve of All Hallow's ...monarch had a vast collection of sacred relics, ... available for public veneration ... various indulgences connected with their veneration... once-a-year display... " Could it be the castle church contained -- contains (?)... dare I even think it...my hand trembles, I can not continue

haha Irish Melkite

Originally Posted by ajk
Could it be the castle church contained -- contains (?)... dare I even think it...my hand trembles, I can not continue

...the world's most sincere pumpkin patch in the courtyard?

And now for something completely...theological.

This circulated by email a few years ago:

A woman was asked by a coworker, "What is it like to be a Christian?"

The coworker replied, "It is like being a pumpkin." God picks you from the patch, brings you in, and washes all the dirt off of you. Then He cuts off the top and scoops out all the yucky stuff.

He removes the seeds of doubt, hate, and greed. Then He carves you a new smiling face and puts His light inside of you to shine for all the world to see."

He removes the seeds of doubt, hate, and greed. Then He carves you a new smiling face and puts His light inside of you to shine for all the world to see."

Dear Pastor Thomas,

This was really nice...thanks for sharing it!

In Christ,
Alice

Byzantine Secret Service
Byzantine Secret Service
Originally Posted by ajk
..."Scholarly research" -- perhaps conjecture. Let me see: a very curious silence about the Great Pumpkin, AND YET, "...castle church on the Eve of All Hallow's ...monarch had a vast collection of sacred relics, ... available for public veneration ... various indulgences connected with their veneration... once-a-year display... " Could it be the castle church contained -- contains (?)... dare I even think it...my hand trembles, I can not continue
Could it be that not only did he find the Great Pumpkin in the courtyard but also the bottle of Wild Turkey? biggrin

Originally Posted by Alice

Dear Pastor Thomas,

This was really nice...thanks for sharing it!

In Christ,
Alice

Thank you.

I rarely use email circulars as the starting point for homilies but I did make an exception with this one a few years ago...great illustration of the sola gratia, sola Christe principles of the Reformation.

Most might be unaware that Lutherans celebrate the final Sunday of October as "Reformation Sunday" with the texts Jeremiah 31:31-34; Romans 3:21-28; and John 8:31-36. It is our equivilant of "Orthodoxy Sunday".

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.